• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Collecting with a focus on 2nd and later printings....

37 posts in this topic

One of my favorite recent pickups. :cloud9:

X-Force01-2nd.jpg

Yea, I saw one of those the other day in a discount bin but it was mangled. Way more scarce/rare than the 1st print for sure.

It would pretty much have to be.

Your foreign variant brethren stand with you friends! :headbang:

I love the idea of this thread.... the focus on later rare printings shares many traits of what the foreign guys do.....

lets see... rarity, check

Sometimes cooler covers..., check

Impossible to source at times....., check

Often times a lack of respect by the general collecting field...., check

A hard core cabal of collectors competing amongst themselves to find said books....., check

They way I see it we are brothers you and I.... :headbang:

I've got these as part of my office set up

6th print, 2nd print, 4th print

IMG_05451_zps14a482ef.jpg

Your foreign variant brethren stand with you friends! :headbang:

I love the idea of this thread.... the focus on later rare printings shares many traits of what the foreign guys do.....

lets see... rarity, check

Sometimes cooler covers..., check

Impossible to source at times....., check

Often times a lack of respect by the general collecting field...., check

A hard core cabal of collectors competing amongst themselves to find said books....., check

They way I see it we are brothers you and I.... :headbang:

This is how I see it too. :banana:

I think these are the only second printings I have:

2eq7xb7.jpg

I think that's the only 2nd print book I have. I generally don't collect anything older than Bronze stuff.

Fun collecting focus!

Here are some awesome later printings... from before the "all-new covers for later printings craze" started.

2,500 copies of 2nd print.

6,000 copies of 3rd print.

CGC96CFD1_2.jpg

CGC96CFD1_3.jpg

I like the reprints if there is a specific reason for them, or a nice change of color.

I collected all the reprints of Brat Pack #1, don’t have them at hand but if you look at them you’ll see what I mean… ;)

czNZRO8l.jpg4lvxdvtl.jpg0Ut5sAHl.jpg

lol

Those are great!

Always loved the subsequent printings. It's a nice variation on the original, and not as desired as the common 1st print, so there won't be many graded. :insane:

Here is an awesome modern 2nd print:

SAM_3496.jpg

While we are on the topic, do Variants qualify? I ask as this book is labeled 2nd print by CGC, but the book indicates, 2nd print Variant.

I enjoy the recent 2nd and later prints, but have also been picking up copper 2nd and later printings as well when I can find them. Lots of titles had them, and the covers are sometimes a little different. I haven't had to pay a premium for any of them yet, and they're fun to hunt.

Here is an example I paid $6 for in the latest Clink auction. I already have this book raw, but couldn't pass this up.

RAD131CB2013321_1746.jpg

I randomly have a copy of this in 9.8. Maybe even better. It's in a box of comics that my brother in law gave me from when he owned a comic shop. They went right from the shelf to bag and board into that box.

It was the early '90s when I bought Batman 397 and 399 from a famous department store for about $0.25 each. When I got home, I realized they were 6th prints?! Days later I consigned them to another shop for about $ 0.75 each (less 20% consignment fee). They looked nm so I bagged them so the buyer wouldn't know any better...

Of course they got sold. Was it a mistake to let them go so cheap?

6th print?! This isn't even the first appearance of Jason Todd's father or something. Anyone can elaborate?