• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Strange Adventures #205, 1st Deadman, 3 copies, all high grade...

9 posts in this topic

Dated 4/1/13...

Last year, there were rumblings that Guillermo del Toro, famed director of "Pan's Labyrinth" and the "Hellboy" movies (as well as this summer's giant robots-versus-giant monsters free-for-all "Pacific Rim"), had begun talking with DC Comics and Warner Bros. about doing a team-up movie that would involve all of its "Dark Universe" characters. It seemed like idle chatter at the time, given the number of projects del Toro is attached to at any given moment, but it turns out this particular project is much farther along than we thought.

"On Justice League Dark, or Dark Universe, what we're doing is we finished the bible [the detailed outline that the -script will come from]. Then we're going to start the screenplay with a writer we hope we can announce very soon," del Toro revealed at Wonder Con in Anaheim this past weekend.

The filmmaker then went into character details: "What I'm doing is the lead character that guides us through, that is Constantine. Blonde. He is basically trying to recruit these guys. On Etrigan, I'm using Jason Blood in the time of Merlin. We get to their origin through the story. We don't make the origin story at the top. We find it out as they each have mysteries to solve. Swamp Thing is at peace with who he is, but Deadman still needs to figure out who shot him. It's all woven in. When I was a kid, my two favorite characters in the whole DC Universe were Etrigan and Swamp Thing, so I'm in heaven."

So, to recap: the main character is going to be self-loathing exorcist John Constantine, but the blond, British version and not the smooth American played by Keanu Reeves in "Constantine." Additional characters are set to include ghostly murder victim Deadman, the vengeful Swamp Thing, demonically possessed Jason Blood/Etrigan and (supposedly) former cop turned afterworld avenger The Spectre, and dark magician/foxy lady Zatanna. (We're holding out hope that Madame Xanadu will be included, but this could just be wishful thinking on our part.)

What's weird is to think that, by all accounts, this "Dark" version of "Justice League" is further along in development than the actual "Justice League" movie that DC and Warner Bros are eager to make. Their target date of Summer 2015, which will see both "The Avengers 2" and the seventh "Star Wars" hit theaters, is approaching rapidly.

Wouldn't it be wild if we got "Justice League Dark" first? Zounds!