• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bidding on taped books?

125 posts in this topic

Even brittle books can be brought back to some suppleness now based on conversations I've had with some of the comic restorers on here.

How does that work, put some solution on them?

10305-xtrahdgrease-5galpail.jpg

Works like a charm! (thumbs u

I'd take tape over brittleness.

Wait a while and you'll have both.

under proper storage conditions no book will brittle in our lifetime

Agreed - I meant the paper under the tape, which in my experience ends up stiff and yellow on old books.

I think it depends on the type of glue. As bad as tape is, it never happened to me (with various kinds of paper, even on italian comics of the 1930s-1940s) that tape made the paper brittle. It’s the other way: if paper is brittle, tape helps to destroy the book… :eek:

BTW, I just won a pretty scarce taped book on eBay! :whee:

So with all this talk about tape, is tape removal considered restoration assuming nothing else is done? I don't know how tape is removed but I would assume some solvent which would show up on a resto check??

James G

It depends on the method used to remove the tape. Some pressure sensitive tape can be removed with heat and peeling off, then using an eraser to pick up the rest of the residue, however other tape would require the use of solvents which could be classified as restoration.

Just thought I'd post to the new article that was in this week's CGC emailer today:

http://www.cgccomics.com/news/viewarticle.aspx?NewsletterNewsArticleID=2129&utm_source=enewsletter&utm_medium=enewsletter&utm_campaign=May+2013+CGC+enewsletter&spMailingID=6110594&spUserID=MTI4MzA5Nzc3OTgS1&spJobID=73091319&spReportId=NzMwOTEzMTkS1

After consideration of the expressed views of the community and assessment of the practice, beginning with submissions postmarked after May 3, 2013, CGC will modify its grading standard and ignore the presence of tape if it serves a function (such as fixing a tear or spine split) and instead grade the book as if it was not present. Therefore, any existing defect will be graded accordingly. If the tape does not serve a function, the tape will be treated as a defect and the book will be downgraded. By doing this, books will still receive a Universal Label but the grade will better reflect the actual condition of the comic book.

Now what if CGC had a policy where they will regrade the book for free, AND pay you the difference of the drop in grade?

Just because Comiclink gives away tons of money when they screw something up, don't think that too many others will.

In coin grading, the major player is PCGS. They have a warranty that if a coin DOWNGRADES on resubmission, they PAY the value difference. This is a real world company I am comparing CGC to. Sure even PCGS's standards change, but they stand behind that warranty.

http://www.pcgs.com/guarantee.html

really not fair to compare coins to comics. The fragile nature of comics vs coins would, to me, preclude any such guarantee that a comic grading company could make.

I don't think it's apples to oranges at all, really. They're both collectible objects being discussed, not sure how comics market as a whole is more fragile than coins? Comics have quarter book levels, coins have "common drek", and then both have certain rarities/high demand items that can get 7 figures if in the right grade.

Though it might not be the most fun thing in the world, I think it's within a company's ability to decide if they'll make a price adjustment (perhaps just in part) back to the submitter if they decide a grandfathered, taped book should be graded at a lower level and correspondingly lower price? Entirely up to the CGC if they wish to do this or not. PCGS and NGC may feel more pressure to offer such guarantees, whereas CGC has no real competition.

That said, no guarantees are written in stone forever. PCGS no longer guarantees the color for red copper coins graded after a certain date, and they no longer guarantee against silver eagle milkspotting either. :)

I'd take tape over brittleness.
me too

Me three, tape over brittleness. Try to avoid either, really, though old tape on a book that hasn't stained things to high heaven, and isn't involved with spine restructuring/attachment, doesn't trouble me (depending on the book.)

If it's a '50's or 40s title that's tough to find and the tape isn't offensive, I'm cool with tape. If it were a '60s or 70s issue, I'll simply avoid anything with tape.

Does anyone know if archival tape is still a purple label or whether that has changed given the new policy regarding tape. Thanks.

Johnny

still purple

Does anyone know if archival tape is still a purple label or whether that has changed given the new policy regarding tape. Thanks.

Johnny

still purple

Thats BS. Makes no sense to me.

I think their original reasoning was that archival tape was an attempt to restore a book, hence the purple label. Scotch tape was typically a relic from the days when kids taped up their books when a staple popped or the cover became torn. Not an attempt at resto, so a blue label.

Of course, this policy left an opening for dealers to tape a book with a split or detached cover to raise its grade. It's that loophole that CGC's new policy was meant to close.

Johnny

still purple

Thats BS. Makes no sense to me.

I think their original reasoning was that archival tape was an attempt to restore a book, hence the purple label. Scotch tape was typically a relic from the days when kids taped up their books when a staple popped or the cover became torn. Not an attempt at resto, so a blue label.

Of course, this policy left an opening for dealers to tape a book with a split or detached cover to raise its grade. It's that loophole that CGC's new policy was meant to close.

I get that but when the purpose of the tape whether archival or scotch is simply to hold a cover or piece of the book together what is the point in making a distinction.

If kids in the 50-60's had access to archival tape they would have used that. The distinction without a difference is just stupid.

Johnny

So upon a re-grade, what does this book get?

http://www.comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?back=%2Fsearch.asp%3Fwhere%3Dsell%26title%3Ddetective%2B27%26x%3D0%26y%3D0%26ItemType%3DCB&id=932964

Would hate to be the holder waiting outside the Sarasota office... :sick:

It is automatically less than 2.5 can we all agree on that?

I would guess it has to go to 1.5 right...if its graded on the assumption there is no tape and the cover is therefore detached?