• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Who cares about newsstand covers?

52 posts in this topic

Is that guy missing an eye?

their catch phrase is a dude in a 1920s prison jump suit, winking while giving the "ok" symbol and yelling NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOBODY.

That guy is the former mayor of toronto who owns the furniture chain, and once he retired from being mayor put his name into the chain's title and started doing the commercial.

I just wanted a funny clip of someone saying "NOOOOOBODY" in answer to the question. :grin:

just curious, what do store do (non-comic shops) if their newsstand comic book copies not sell? Are they able to return to the distributor? What do distributor do after months of release of a book that got returned by such customers? what is a typical percentage of newsstand print compare to the direct edition?

they are just like magazines, they get send back to distributor for full credit, but I don't know what distributor do to them, maybe recycled.

just curious, what do store do (non-comic shops) if their newsstand comic book copies not sell? Are they able to return to the distributor? What do distributor do after months of release of a book that got returned by such customers? what is a typical percentage of newsstand print compare to the direct edition?

they are just like magazines, they get send back to distributor for full credit, but I don't know what distributor do to them, maybe recycled.

I new a guy who ran a route in the mid to late 90s, early 2000s. He was supposed to destroy them. He sold them on the side for $250 per 1000. There was a guy who ran a second hand store that bought them all. I bought almost 20,000 of them over the years from the guy with the second hand shop. There was no shortage of newsstand stuff then, at least locally.

I new a guy who ran a route in the mid to late 90s, early 2000s. He was supposed to destroy them. He sold them on the side for $250 per 1000. There was a guy who ran a second hand store that bought them all. I bought almost 20,000 of them over the years from the guy with the second hand shop. There was no shortage of newsstand stuff then, at least locally.

Your missing the point. The print run is part of it, but the other part is grade. Put both together and you have a very tough book with some titles. Most dont care about a mid-grade newstand unless its a Valiant title and even those anymore dont sell like they used when collectors were making sets. Newstand starting in the last 90s become harder and harder to find and up until Barnes and Nobles got in they were getting very thin.

couple other questions, hope someone can help me out:

When you look at the print run of a particular issue, is that print run included the newsstand copies? As mentioned above, out of this total print run, what is the % of it is newsstand?

When you look at the print run of a particular issue, is that print run included the newsstand copies? As mentioned above, out of this total print run, what is the % of it is newsstand?

(shrug)

I love high grade newsstands.

:cloud9:

c97a388e6c296d26bed2a6a8505026dc_zpsebc805ac.jpg

I wonder why CGC doesn't notate a newsstand variant on the label. You would think it would be valid info on there.

While I see your point about CGCs notation... it isn't a variant.

-slym

I wonder why CGC doesn't notate a newsstand variant on the label. You would think it would be valid info on there.

I think technically the direct edition is the variant? Originally it was all barcode and I notice Marvel usually uses the barcode version when they reprint 80s stuff (they black out the barcode box but you can tell from the price/issue box which version it is.

maybe because they agree with the rational people out there and realize that THIS ISNT A VARIANT!!!!!!

It is the same FARKING BOOK!!!!!

The supply of newsstand comics in high grade is much smaller, but demand is not enough to cause dramatic price increases for most of them. If given the choice between picking a newsstand vs direct in the same condition I will always pick the newsstand. I will not pay a premium for it unless there is a difference in price or cover. As a completest this is where I draw the line because I don't want to have doubles of every run I collect. The madness has to stop somewhere :)

Newsstand is included in print run.

Back at the rise of the direct market in 1975, newsstand was the majority. Into the late 80s/early 90s, newsstand comics began to die off as prices rose. By the 2000s, I rarely saw significant amounts of comics at7/11 and other stores. Now, I'd guess newsstand is less than 10%. 2c

Yes. The barcode existed until 1984 or so - don't hold me to exact dates - then the Spidey head was the image in the barcode box on the direct market books.

The direct market books also had the diamond shaped price box in the early 80s, then shifted to the stylized 'M'.

Newsstand is included in print run.

Back at the rise of the direct market in 1975, newsstand was the majority. Into the late 80s/early 90s, newsstand comics began to die off as prices rose. By the 2000s, I rarely saw significant amounts of comics at7/11 and other stores. Now, I'd guess newsstand is less than 10%. 2c

Is newsstand in the late 90s and early 00s has the similar percentage as you said, 10-20% of the print run? Thanks for the info.

Yes. The barcode existed until 1984 or so - don't hold me to exact dates - then the Spidey head was the image in the barcode box on the direct market books.

The direct market books also had the diamond shaped price box in the early 80s, then shifted to the stylized 'M'.

From what I gather the

first barcode Jun 1976

1st "spidey head" Mar 1980

and Whitman and/or direct market variants (slash thru barcode or white UPC box) inbetween

This might be reaching into Copper-age territory a bit, but are you (the collective CGC "you," not any one person singled out) that any of my Uncanny X-Men between 200 and, let's say, 303 are possibly worth a small premium over their direct edition counterparts?

-slym