• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UK Pence copies

35 posts in this topic

Just wanted opinions, especially US market, on their take on UK price variant/pence copies. Has it changed in the last few years? Do Americans avoid them, don't mind or is there a market for them?

I have a DD 1 cgc 8.5 what would be the US market value for that?

Between 70-80% of it's US counterpart...but you have to find the right buyer, which isn't easy, but not impossible.

It may be more like 60-80% depending on which key it is. DD 1 might be on the lower end of that because it is the most common key, but if you are patient you might hit the higher end of the percentage on a sale.

Between 70-80% of it's US counterpart...but you have to find the right buyer, which isn't easy, but not impossible.

It may be more like 60-80% depending on which key it is. DD 1 might be on the lower end of that because it is the most common key, but if you are patient you might hit the higher end of the percentage on a sale.

That's pretty much spot on. (thumbs u

Something like a Hulk #1 would be a lot closer to the 80% mark.

Under rated and under valued in my opinion, it wont always be this way.

+1

I will buy pence copies instead of U.S. copies if I have the option, not because they are cheaper, but because they are cooler (and more rare as well). I am not the only one.

It's really weird, because I would always pay more for a pence copy than a US edition. Of course, that would never occur because of how the market appears to work. The biggest demand comes from the states and that demand goes towards the "originals", and I completely understand. I personally enjoy the more unique options.

That being said, I will most definitely aim for an American edition alongside a pence copy. That is, when I become a rich musician/actor. lol

It's really weird, because I would always pay more for a pence copy than a US edition. Of course, that would never occur because of how the market appears to work. The biggest demand comes from the states and that demand goes towards the "originals", and I completely understand. I personally enjoy the more unique options.

That being said, I will most definitely aim for an American edition alongside a pence copy. That is, when I become a rich musician/actor. lol

Some people think the Pence copies are the originals ( printed first ) before the price swap out.

I am the same as you, I want both (thumbs u

This subject comes up nearly as often as scanner and pressing threads. We aren't in ebay thread territory, but give it time. hm

This thread comes up nearly as often as scanner and pressing threads, just because, as those, no satisfying conclusion has been reached. ;)

Personally I think the UK versions are an UK edition (no matter when they were printed) and I generally prefer to have something in the form stemming from the context which originated it. That is, to me the american books are the original editions, because culturally they are an american product. Inversely, if I have to buy a Captain Britain trade paperback I would try to locate the original issues of the UK magazine, where the Alan Davis stories first appeared. I apply this reasoning to most of my collecting: that‘s why I have japanese or french comics, although I can’t read the languages (well, french is a bit understandable by an italian, but this is another matter).

If I were a UK collector I would probably enjoy more the UK editions as they are nonetheless "original" editions, but published in my own country. I dropped italian editions mostly because the early translations were not accurate, and the quality of reproduction of the inside artwork left a lot to be desired, but in general I would have appreciated them. If a translation/edition is well done, I appreciate it, but I like to look for the original, if I can find it (unless the original is italian, of course).

I buy the Marvel Key pence copies every once in a while because condition wise you can get so much more bang for the buck.

My two biggies are:

TOS 39 cgc 7.5. When I bought it I paid what a 5.0 cent copy would have cost.

AF15 cgc 7.0. When I bought it I paid what a 3.5 cent copy would have cost.

It was cool to get such nice looking copies of these key issues at a fraction of the cost. As a bonus it turns out that both of these are the highest CGC copies on the census.

I will continue to buy Pence copies when I find the right deals.

Does anyone know what the highest price ever paid for any pence copy is?

There is an AF 15 4.0 on eBay for £4000 but it has been there months but Darryl is the seller!

A pence copy of ASM #1 (vg) sold for £1500 recently but I don't know of any others (shrug)

I buy the Marvel Key pence copies every once in a while because condition wise you can get so much more bang for the buck.

My two biggies are:

It was cool to get such nice looking copies of these key issues at a fraction of the cost. As a bonus it turns out that both of these are the highest CGC copies on the census.

I'm going to answer my own question. I just went to GPA and looked over the Marvel keys and here's what I found out about the highest "recorded" prices ever paid for a Marvel pence copy.

Something to keep in mind is that these pence copies rarely come up so some of the sales on GPA were about 10 years old.

Top 11 "recorded" prices paid for pence copies:

1) ASM 1 CGC 8.0 $19,323 (whoever bought this is an insufficiently_thoughtful_person, WAY too high)

2) Xmen 1 CGC 9.2 $8914 (amazing price, probably worth 5x that)

3) AF 15 CGC 6.5 $6192 (this is for a trimmed PLOD... WAY too high of a price)

4) Hulk 1 CGC 4.0 $3984 (this might be the hardest Marvel key pence to find in high grade)

5) Avengers 1 CGC 7.0 $3875 (price is about 75% of a cent copy)

6) TTA 27 CGC 6.5 $2733 (they paid more than the cent copy....dumb!)

7) TOS 39 CGC 7.5 $2243 (I own this copy. I see it at a $5k value right now)

8) FF 1 CGC 5.0 $2195 (Might be worth 2x that now)

tie

9) DD 1 CGC 8.5 $2000 (good buy, is probably worth a little more now)

9) Strange Tales 110 CGC 8.0 $2000 (probably worth a little more)

11) JIM Thor 83 CGC 7.0 $1898 (worth 2x this now)

My two biggies are:

I'm going to answer my own question. I just went to GPA and looked over the Marvel keys and here's what I found out about the highest "recorded" prices ever paid for a Marvel pence copy.

Something to keep in mind is that these pence copies rarely come up so some of the sales on GPA were about 10 years old.

Top 11 "recorded" prices paid for pence copies:

1) ASM 1 CGC 8.0 $19,323 (whoever bought this is an insufficiently_thoughtful_person, WAY too high)

2) Xmen 1 CGC 9.2 $8914 (amazing price, probably worth 5x that)

3) AF 15 CGC 6.5 $6192 (this is for a trimmed PLOD... WAY too high of a price)

4) Hulk 1 CGC 4.0 $3984 (this might be the hardest Marvel key pence to find in high grade)

5) Avengers 1 CGC 7.0 $3875 (price is about 75% of a cent copy)

6) TTA 27 CGC 6.5 $2733 (they paid more than the cent copy....dumb!)

7) TOS 39 CGC 7.5 $2243 (I own this copy. I see it at a $5k value right now)

8) FF 1 CGC 5.0 $2195 (Might be worth 2x that now)

tie

9) DD 1 CGC 8.5 $2000 (good buy, is probably worth a little more now)

9) Strange Tales 110 CGC 8.0 $2000 (probably worth a little more)

11) JIM Thor 83 CGC 7.0 $1898 (worth 2x this now)

Under rated and under valued in my opinion, it wont always be this way.

+1

I will buy pence copies instead of U.S. copies if I have the option, not because they are cheaper, but because they are cooler (and more rare as well). I am not the only one.

Possibly the wisest post ever to grace Comics General

:applause:

Pence copies :cloud9: