• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please grade my ASM 13, 45, 63 and a few questions

18 posts in this topic

I'm looking at getting a little folding money for a local con coming up in about a month and was thinking of letting these go. I wanted to see if you guys agreed with my grading.

ASM 13 Front

asm13-f.jpg

ASM 13 Back

asm13-b.jpg

ASM 45 Front

asm45-f.jpg

ASM 45 Back

asm45-b.jpg

ASM 63 Front

asm63-f.jpg

ASM 63 Back

asm63-b.jpg

My grades:

13 - 3.0

45 - 8.0

63 - 8.5

Am I close here? Way off?

My question is would it make sense to CGC these? Would there be a big jump in price from selling these raw vs slabbed. I am mainly a G - VG Golden Age collector so I don't really deal with these types of books. (I have a bunch of ASM in the 70s and 80s in about the same not quite NM condition but I am pretty sure it doesn't make sense to slab them unless I think I had a safe 9.0 +)

Thanks

From what Ive seen lately, I wouldn't bother to send them in.

i would grade the 13 a little lower "GD".

The 45 is barely fine in my opinion and i'd lower your grade on the #63 by a full point. Most would argue that it is not N/M comic !

I diusagree about your slapping opinion, if I ha a copy of AS 13 in VG/FN or better, I would likely have it professionally graded.

anyway, hope I was , at least , of minimal help

My grades:

13 - 3.0 - okay

45 - 8.0 - sorry 7.0 max

63 - 8.5 - again 7.0 max, foxing can drop it even lower.

Most likely wouldn't be much difference $ wise: slabbed versus unslabbed.

Still nice reading copies that someone else would buy.

The 45 is barely fine in my opinion and i'd lower your grade on the #63 by a full point. Most would argue that it is not N/M comic !

I diusagree about your slapping opinion, if I ha a copy of AS 13 in VG/FN or better, I would likely have it professionally graded.

Dave Dunbar will be by shortly to refute and mock everything i've told you, however, he may be able to grade them more accurately.

I agree with the ASM 13 at 3.0 G/VG

The other two are lower than you've guessed I think

ASM 45 5.5 (lots of spine wear on this copy; must be typo for you to give it the same grade as the 63?)

ASM 63 7.0 (nice looking copy, maybe a 7.5, back cover is ugly).

Don't slab any of these books, there is no monetary incentive to do so.

I'd say 3.0, 5.5 and 7.0 (8.0 structurally but lots of soiling). I don't think they're worth CGCing. Especially since if you send them economy they won't be back until NEXT year's Fallcon. Nice books though.

Okay, looks like my grading is a little off on the higher grades. Good thing I only usually deal with low grade material 27_laughing.gif

I guess I'll just let these go raw, they are pretty nice for readers though (except the 13 of course), but then again this really isn't my area...

Dave Dunbar will be by shortly to refute and mock everything i've told you, however, he may be able to grade them more accurately.

Dave? Do we know each other? 27_laughing.gif

Bob - What happened to the back of that #63? 893whatthe.gif It looks like it's been used as a doormat! I don't know how a book that looks to be in suuch good coondition, can get that dirty!!! foreheadslap.gif

btw: "way off"

2.0/2.5 you aren't going to get much for a low grade pence copy... sorry.gif

5.5 the tear back cover kills it

7.5 soiling prevents a real high grade imo

Unfortunately, it looks like the #13 may have a color touch or two... frown.gif

Look at the first big crease on the spine below the red box - the right side of the crease looks like a CT. Also the black area under Spidey's left knee is suspect.

Can't tell for sure from a scan, but it certainly bears a closer look. If they are touched, slabbing is definately out of the question.

Hi Bob,

Thanks for sharing these books with us. I'd probably go 2.0 on the #13, maybe 6.5/7.0 on the #45, and maybe around 7.0/7.5 on the #63 if you dry clean the back cover with some wonder bread.

Cheers,

-Jim

The 45 and 63 were sold to me as VF many years ago. Maybe the 63 just needs a little wonder bread 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Yeah, a couple, two-three loaves! 27_laughing.gifthumbsup2.gif

sign-funnypost.gif

i was thinking 3.0/6.0/7.0..........the second and third books get downgraded severely for that 1 inch tear and the remarkable amount of soiling on the latter. i guess when you get up in the the spidey 40's and 60's, the cost to slab may well eat away the entire price differential.

if it were me, i might try the Wonderbread loaves and if it works, maybe get that 63 slabbed 893crossfingers-thumb.gif