• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best Books for a Buck!

29 posts in this topic

Hey!

I'm putting together a panel for the upcoming Denver Comic Con called best "Best Books for a Buck - The World of Discount Collecting" and am looking for the best reads people have found for the best price. I know this is more of a collectors forum but we must have a couple of discount guys out there.

Also, I'm still looking for a couple of panelist, dealers, retailers, just send me a message.

Thanks,

Craig

Off the top of my head here is what I would add to that list that I have found in dollar (or quarter) bins:

New Mutants/X-Force

90's era X-Men

Original X-Force runs

90's era Valiant books

Pretty much anything Archie related

70's era and forward Walt Disney books

and my personal favorite......

I once found a complete run of West Coast Avengers in a quarter bin, all of which were in at least 9.2 condition!!!!

Are you just looking for reads or do you want to know what underpriced treasures we have found in $ bins? For reads, a lot of great 80's Indy horror like twisted tales, I've found Miracleman (perhaps one of the best reads) and I often find silver and gold reprints like milestone editions or showcase classics.

An important 1990s (mini) series which got totally overlooked and thus can be found for cheap is surely the groundbreaking work of Ed Hanningan on "Skull and Bones" (originally published by DC Comics).

And I would also add the first issues of Defiant’s "Dark Dominion". Art wasn’t particularly great, but it was a great idea, and well developed initially.

There is also Bratpack by Rick Veitch, which I favor over the Maximortal. For tough stomachs.

Oh you are in my wheelhouse!

Here are a ton of runs that I've been able to pull from $1 bins over the years for this EXCACT reason (plus I had/have plans to bind them for easy future reading...

• Byrne's Fantastic Four
  • Power Pack
  • Atari Force
  • Captain Carrot & The Zoo Crew
  • The Question
  • The Further Adventures of Indiana Jones
  • Simonson's Thor (VF)
  • Hitman
  • The 'Nam (may be tougher to find the last couple issues)
  • Justice League International
  • Starman
  • Preacher
  • Allred's X-Factor/X-Statix run
  • Resurrection Man
  • Human Target (Vertigo)
  • Morrison's X-men (I still come across $1 VF versions of Phantom-X's first appearance)
  • Priest's Black Panther (has 1 issue thats $20 [Deadpool crossover]
  • Gotham Central
  • Batman Adventures
  • Adventures of Batman & Robin
  • Gotham Adventures

Some of these have the occasional higher $$ issues (Batman Adventures #22) but I find enough times where someone on ebay is selling the whole run, and you can get them for what ends up being $1/book total auction value.

Sandman Mystery Theater

This. I discovered this series in a quarter box, got a huge run of it. It quickly became my favorite series of all time.

I also recently found a full run of Kurt Busiek's Astro City, both volumes 1 and 2, in a 50 cent box. And I got most of James Robinson's Leave It to Chance in a 50 cent box recently as well.

Sandman Mystery Theater

This. I discovered this series in a quarter box, got a huge run of it. It quickly became my favorite series of all time.

I also recently found a full run of Kurt Busiek's Astro City, both volumes 1 and 2, in a 50 cent box. And I got most of James Robinson's Leave It to Chance in a 50 cent box recently as well.

Both great reads.

CLASSIC X-MEN (thumbs u

Each issue can be found in dollar bins. It reprints the original X-men run starting at Giant Size X-Men #1.

However, these comics also have bonus stories at the end of each issue that enhance the experience. Like the origin of Magneto in the Nazi death camps.

CLASSIC X-MEN (thumbs u

Each issue can be found in dollar bins. It reprints the original X-men run starting at Giant Size X-Men #1.

However, these comics also have bonus stories at the end of each issue that enhance the experience. Like the origin of Magneto in the Nazi death camps.

I was actually going to mention this. You beat me to it!

:)

-slym

Reginald Hudlin's Black Panther run from around 2005 or so.

I pick up Claremont X-Factor books from dollar bins or less all the time. Some are more difficult to find for a buck or less (issue 6) but the rest can be found relatively easy.

I loved Brad Meltzer's Justice League of America run from around 2005 as well and they can be found in dollar bins.

Same can be said for Geoff Johns Justice Society of America run.

Kevin Smith's Green Arrow

Grim Jack, Scout, Airboy, Badger, American Flagg, Dreadstar, Slash Maraud, Six From Sirius, Nexus, Jon Sable, Freelance, Twilight Avenger, Miracle Squad, Total Eclipse, Zot!, Detectives, Inc., Alien Worlds, Alien Terror, Asylum, Alien Encounters, Mr. Monster, Megaton Man...

All good reads, all can be found in the steep discount boxes...

Grim Jack, Scout, Airboy, Badger, American Flagg, Dreadstar, Slash Maraud, Six From Sirius, Nexus, Jon Sable, Freelance, Twilight Avenger, Miracle Squad, Total Eclipse, Zot!, Detectives, Inc., Alien Worlds, Alien Terror, Asylum, Alien Encounters, Mr. Monster, Megaton Man...

All good reads, all can be found in the steep discount boxes...

Yes, especially Grimm Jack, Dreadstar and Jon Sable..really good reading on the cheap.