• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Daredevil 111 1st Silver Samurai

20 posts in this topic

Na Wolverine is Bad no body cares

:eyeroll: Another one added to the ignore list...

DD #111 is doing okay. There's not a lot of hype about it but it's certainly doing better than what it was pre-movie announcement. I sold a copy last week and was happy with what I got for it.

I used to own the OA for this cover. It was stolen, but I found it and recovered it. That was about twenty years ago. About ten years ago , i notice it was missing again. Liked the character in his first few appearances.

I don't really get the love for this comic, other than it being movie based speculation. Silver Samurai is cool enough I guess, but there are probably 100 Marvel villains who are cooler and more popular and whose first appearances aren't worth a plugged nickel.

I have a hard time getting excited about a comic just because a B-list villain is going to appear in a C-list movie.

2c

(shrug)

Villains in movies get no love in the back issue market. Well no love that last beyond the movie that is.

Doc Doom and Green Goblin are prob only exceptions. Although IronFist 14 is chased for Sabertooth.

But is the comic good? Fine its a first app but how is the artwork and story? I never read it but was considering picking one up.

It is not a single story, but part of a storyline, Steve Gerber’s "Black Spectre" story, featuring the Black Widow, Shanna the she-devil and Gerber‘s own villains (my favorites) the Mandrill and Nekra (used years later – to great effect – by Mark Gruenwald in his Spider-Woman Hatros clinic storyline).

The issue per se is not a stand-out issue, but the whole Gerber run is really worth having (#112, "Death of a Nation" is a lot more important, and it is also the conclusion). The movie hype here is just annoying because it "breaks" the story, as many people bought this without even knowing what they were doing.

Villains in movies get no love in the back issue market. Well no love that last beyond the movie that is.

Doc Doom and Green Goblin are prob only exceptions. Although IronFist 14 is chased for Sabertooth.

Iron Man 55 :makepoint:

Its one of the better DD arcs of that period.

It's strange that as the stories got better, sales tanked. DD went bi-monthly right around this time, even though it only lasted a very short time.

I always wanted to see a team-up of Mandrill-who had a domineering effect on women and Nightshade- who had the same effect on men.

Its one of the better DD arcs of that period.

It's strange that as the stories got better, sales tanked. DD went bi-monthly right around this time, even though it only lasted a very short time.

I always wanted to see a team-up of Mandrill-who had a domineering effect on women and Nightshade- who had the same effect on men.

Gruenwald played on the whole theme to great effect in the Nekra-Jessica Drew relationship, as he also implied Nekra and the Mandrill were not used to love, having grown up like "outcasts", and the feelings of confidence and amity as inspired in Nekra by Spider-Woman (which usually kept people at a distance, because of his particular biochemistry) prompted Nekra to hate her, because love and affection were unknown feeling to her. Pretty deep stuff. :cloud9:

Did not recall Nightshade, that’s cool. Also worth mentioning is the Moondragon early apperances in that Daredevil run.