• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1st Canada's Wolverine statue - now Robocop for real

24 posts in this topic

They must have gone the politically correct route and made Robocop a mall security guard by removing his gun.

They must have gone the politically correct route and made Robocop a mall security guard by removing his gun.

:gossip: It's in his leg.

You are correct. But, I was thinking holding the gun would have been so much cooler. Plus, a voice activated speaker that said "YOUR MOVE, CREEP" when you approached it.

You are correct. But, I was thinking holding the gun would have been so much cooler. Plus, a voice activated speaker that said "YOUR MOVE, CREEP" when you approached it.

OH MY GOD!

I would definitely travel to Detroit for that.

627.jpg

smiley_no.gif

It's going to be in Detroit.

I'll bet it gets stolen within a week of being put on display.

Some meth head will sell it for scrap metal.

Hold on a minute!

Now that Detroit’s most anticipated public artwork — Mike Kelley’s “Mobile Homestead” — has opened, the Motor City is getting ready for its next major piece of public art: The crowd-funded, internet-adored statue of the fictional cybord police officer Robocop. The sculpture is nearing the final stages of its fabrication process, with its custom elements having been hand-sculpted, 3D-scanned, digitally enlarged, precision-fabricated, and assembled into the full-scale wax, foam, steel, and clay rendering you see above.

However, the process of making this Robocop statue is nearly as complex as the process of turning the late officer Alex J. Murphy into the cybernetic law enforcement agent in the cult 1987 film. The next and final step in its fabrication is to send the model from Canada to Detroit, where the fabrication studio Venus Bronze Works will create a cast and pour the final bronze statue.

So Detroit outsourced its Robocop statue creation to Canada? Oh, that is too funny.

But it has come a long ways from the February 2013 status.

12328393-large.jpg

Detroit's Robocop statue has more components, could be erected by mid-2014

2014 is the planned ceremony to erect the Robocop statue. But it is interesting what folks went through to make this happen.

Behind the Saga to Bring a Giant RoboCop Statue to Detroit

Even Peter Weller got involved, tussling with the mayor of Detroit. I had never seen this video before where he teamed up with Will Ferrell to campaign for the statue, and for donations to help the local hungry.

OH MY GOD!

I would definitely travel to Detroit for that.

627.jpg

smiley_no.gif

lol No you wouldn't.

Detroit celebrates 'RoboCop Day' ahead of DVD release

The statue hasn't been unveiled. But the assembled photos show a huge statue.

robocop-7b966adef77e438f.jpg

robocop1jpg-1b57cc123db98c15.jpg

robocop2jpg-cf8b2d0654e9f1df.jpg

A 10-foot tall, bronze statue of the character will be unveiled today at the headquarters of the Detroit Police Department, and the event will kick off a full day of RoboCop-themed events, capped off with RoboCop throwing out the first pitch at a Detroit Tigers baseball game at Comerica Park. While the statue’s permanent home hasn’t been determined yet, the fact that the statue even exists at all is a triumph of sorts for, well… anyone who thinks a monument to RoboCop statue is a cool idea.

This didn't happen because it started dawning on the Police Department the movie is about an agency that couldn't keep up with crime throughout the area. So this statue must be sitting in a warehouse somewhere gathering dust for now.