• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My Holy Grail is up!!! Hulk 181 CGC 9.8 oww

376 posts in this topic

True... but that method can be an innaccurate read of what market really is at the same time.

What if the bidding with exception of one maniac ended at $14K and the maniac bids $18K... the result will show $14.1K when market was really $18K... but I know what you mean. Teasing us with the book is not nice though mad.gif

I think what's hilarious with these super high grade books is..if you were to resubmit it..what happens if it gets a 9.6? That's gonna be like a 12-15k difference. Just one of the reasons I think the multiples are getting out-of-hand.

Brian

Hey Brian...

Well you certainly better be damn happy with a particular book if you're paying amounts this high... and you'd be wise to be satisfied with the grade too and not just buying the number on the label as Lee mentioned. Aside from the miswrap, it looks structurally sound... Unless of course Matt is correct about the possible well-induced damage.

Resubmitting a 9.8 would not generally not be a good idea obviously and I know that wasn't you point. The multiple does seem out of whack, but then again we often see similar results on other mega keys... .2 higher above the more attainable high grade level (where supply is thin) translates into a drastic difference in perceived value.

I certainly have no argument with those that would prefer to have a 9.6 181 at $4K as opposed to a 9.8 at $15K as I'm one of them. As badly as I would love to upgrade... I can't rationalize $15K. I'm willing to flirt seriously with the idea around 10-11, maybe 12K (if it was White and perfect)...but I'd have to have serious dispensible income to find a way to rationalize paying above that. If it came down to not going on some $3K vacation and spending that money on a comic instead... it would be easier to overpay. Unfortunately, I don't have that luxury.

At least it was it was a possibility for a few hours frown.gif

I guess the answer is yes, especially if several are willing to pay it.

There are only (3) copies above 9.6 (out of nearly 1,200 graded) and there is certainly enough collectors with the cash to absorb that limited supply which is really (2) as the 3rd is a 9.9 (forget about that one).

If there were (8-10) 9.8's it may be only $8-$9K book.

The limited supply probably has more do to with the current value than just the issue itself and what it represents. As with any 9.8 in limited supply , it can go beserk at any given moment anyway... doesn't have to be Hulk 181 either.

I would try to find the nicest 9.6 around and try resubmitting. I think that is a better option then trying to buy this book. I thought about it too at 10-12 K but it is too high now. I am sure they want to see how the market will bear and it will not meet the reserve. How much did it sell previously at auction???

I remember there were 2 up at the same time and then a 3rd (obviously a scam) copy became available from overseas with a small scan. I emailed if they accepted Paypal but they did not respond. It disappeared halfway through I believe. Census shows 2 anyway... one was bogus.

I'm not sure where the one copy sold... I thought it sold around around $11K and the other (owned by a woman who was planning to wed as I recall) did not meet reserve and was then bought privately. I can't believe I didn't record all that.

Resubmitting copies graded 9.6 and better is NOT a good idea.

Especially on a Hulk 181, CGC is especially hard on this book in the higher grades. Could be due to the fact that they have seen SO MANY copies.

If this book has no "indentation" then it is one of two(three) of the highest graded copies of this book. Facing reality there is NO way that the 9.9 is a book that any of us will ever see, should it EVER go up for sale.

Murph is right...It is pretty crazy what is paying paid multiple wise from 9.4/9.6/9.8 etc...... But I do believe that there is a substantial difference between each copy, if they are accurately grade. I have many 9.4's that I would grade 9.2. 95 %of my 9.6's are dang near perfect, the 9.8/9.9's I have as a nice as they get.

So if this is your GRAIL I say go for it, because odds are you won't see another one again for quite some time and many multiples later.

But ONLY if there is no damage caused by the interior well!!

But hey murph what if this was an ASM 129 9.8? I know I would be going after it. well to a point anyway. smile.gif

M

buce,

you have to watch football! you have to watch my beloved ray-duhs beat the ugly red headed little step-brother to a championship. as for the holy grail currently on eBay, i'd wait for a more registered colour strike copy. wink.gifsmile.gif

pimpstah

you have to watch football! you have to watch my beloved ray-duhs beat the ugly red headed little step-brother to a championship.

BOOYA! And Supa, you don't need to thank us Kansas Citians for being so impossibly stupid as to let Gannon go so we could keep Grbac. >weep<

as for the holy grail currently on eBay, i'd wait for a more registered colour strike copy.

What does THAT mean? "more registered colour (damn Brit) strike copy"?? confused.gif

I'm not watching...

Although I like Charlie Garner, Romanowski and others on the Raiders... I can't root for the Raiders either. They caused me mucho pain by beating the Eagles 24 years ago in our only Superbowl appearance. I just want to see the Hulk trailer. I can't watch another team celebrate a championship unless it's a Philly team... I'm a beatend down fan.

khaos,

i want to thank your chefs for making probably the biggest & dumbest mistake in franchise history, when gannon hoist the lombardi trophy later this evening. as for your question re: registered colour stike, i was saying more centered(less white) and more deep colour strike(red more like ferrari red). wink.gifgrin.gif

pimpstah

In all honesty, I wouldn't even bid on a 9.8 book that I know would get huge multiples b/c I just don't believe that between .6 and .8, there's a couple thousand dollars difference. I'll only buy stuff in super high grade as long as it doesn't mean having to shell out a huge additional sum.

Brian