• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I'm Coming Home

17 posts in this topic

In a few months...

Just before I started my trek back here to Afghanistan I was notified that I was going to be leaving in November to come back home from my deployment. Ecstatic from the news I quickly looked onto the Wizard World site and noticed I would be back in time for Wizard World Austin. While there isn't many artists and or writers signed up for this event yet I did see Stan Lee on the list and Neal Adams and do hope more will sign on as time passes and schedules open up.

Anyways my wife who always kinda pokes fun at my obsession told me "why don't you dress up for it?" "Oh we can be Power Rangers together." While I'm not going to dress up as a Power Ranger it did get me thinking about trying out the whole Cosplay thing. I have always enjoyed walking through and seeing so many others dressed up or decked out and even helped my daughter dress up as her favorite anime character from a TV show called Bleach. So first things first, what do I go as? I attempted to look up Hawaiian Super Heroes and found there was only one and he was just recently killed off in the Avengers Arena story line. So then I started thinking about some of the series I liked as a kid and what I enjoy now and saw that one specific character has always kinda followed me around even though I never noticed it.

In the later days of the New Mutants and into the first series of X-Force he was always seen as Cables muscle. Later as he evolved a little more he quickly became on of my favorites in the 3rd Volume of X-Force and during one of my favorite runs through the Messiah Complex, Messiah War, and then in Second Coming he was always an amazing character for me. What cemented it though was World War Hulk when even though he was vastly out gunned by the Hulk he still threw himself at the big green machine.

But for my first time out I'm going to try and go big as James Proudstar -- Warpath. I figure I can tear up an old black wetsuit of mine get some of the stitching done through my wife.... But the tights......I may have to go black pants. Don't feel that comfortable yet. Now I just have to work out a little more to do him some justice though. Also hopefully Lou Ferringno will still be in attendance as it would be cool to have a photo of the Hulk and Warpath

Below is a photo of me and the family this past leave. Looks like my love for comics is spreading over to my son whether he wants it to or not.

K

13629.jpg

See more journals by kaholo1256

Ronnylama - appreciate it, although from the moment I came out to my wife about my love for collecting she has called me her own personal dork and always asks why I'm not like the guys from the Big Bang Theory we watch.

Meshuggah - Same here towards you. Most never know right. Looking forward to doing the Black suit version of him from the most updated version and not the fringe wearing one from his previous days.

Cavetechdiver - Yep couldn't find any matching hulk shoes so had to go with what we have. Its funny because when it comes to DC we have matching Superman shoes for father and son and he has a ton of matching comic clothes and shoes but the only one i could never find was the Hulk, as for my daughter I can't remember off the top of my head but yeah she usually always has her Adventure Time comics or those little Anime Graphic novels with her.

Hey K,

Remember that Hulk never wore any shoes!! lol

At least, your daughter reads the comic books like you. Your son may be too young to read the comic book right now. However, my 5 years old girl likes reading the comic books.

Welcome home!

Great journal and a beautiful family man...and i agree with meshuggah, you are one big dude. Im sure glad youre on our side! Love it when us comic "dorks" break the stereotype. Not there's anything wrong with those that do fit that mold mind you. It's just that comic collectors are as varied as any other group of people, you know? Big Bang is a great show, too funny...and damn Penny is hot. Congrats on coming home soon, and thank you and others here for your service, both past and present.

You will make a great Warpath. I've never done the cos play either. Don't have the guts. My wife really wants to wear steampunk though so she might dress up for Phoenix Con, we'll see.

Dear Kman,

Firstly... Welcome Back!

Secondly... you are one lucky dude to have such a beautiful family.

Thirdly... Don't go in costume as Warpath... go as K-Man the Barbarian... damn you got muscles! Seriously... you look like Conan.

If you ever plan to visit NYC for a comic con... we should meet up.

Enjoy Austin.

SW3D

Cavetechdiver - This is true, maybe I will have to go buy some purple strechy pants for him and let him walk around. But yeah it is cool that she enjoys reading them but man does it drive me crazy she doesnt know how to take care of them yet. Oh well, one day right?

Surfer99 - As for the dork line i touched on that on a much earlier posting. I never thought I had the "look" of a guy that was suppose to enjoy comics. Growing up as a kid I saw the Simpsons comic book store owner and even my own LCS as a kid where i just seemed different. Many times I started out doing it in secret but it really hit me that there wasn't a simple type of person that fits a collector or even casual reader when I started to visit the LCS near my home station ooutside Fort Hood. There every type was shopping there from a male Lieutenant Colonel to a rather cute looking female Soldier. There wasn't a mold for anyone there and it was cool seeing all of these people in uniform picking up there Wednesday holds during there early lunch's. As for the Cosplay stuff I was never a fan but figured if I have seen others do it and be fine I might as well jump in the pool and see how the waters are.

SW3D - Thanks, there an amazing bunch especially my two heathens. They are always a joy to run around with. Wife isn't to bad either. As for the Barbarian thing I thought about it but aside from Neal Adams stuff I never followed the character much and really wanted the character I chose to try it for the first time to be one I had enjoyed reading about. Maybe next time.......if there is one. And as for New York I do plan on making it up there one day. Saw some documentary on Mid Town Comics and just wanted to make a stop during that time to both there store and one of the Cons there. I do have a friend picking up something for me from Jim Cheung during this coming June at the Con.

Cimm, Ogami, and Mr. Shepherd - Thank you for the comments and words of appreciation. Its always cool to pass on words of encouragement to my guys here and to help motivate me to continue writing a few more journals.

K

Mad Titan - Man does this bring back memories, I actually purchased this one back in the 90's when I was in Hawaii. While it didn't make the travel from there to Stateside it was one of the only heroes I had ever heard of as Hawaiian even though the lead character was Japanese I think who was drawn as a white guy... go figure. Thanks for the flashback and who knows maybe I'll try him out one day.

Mad Titan - Man does this bring back memories, I actually purchased this one back in the 90's when I was in Hawaii. While it didn't make the travel from there to Stateside it was one of the only heroes I had ever heard of as Hawaiian even though the lead character was Japanese I think who was drawn as a white guy... go figure. Thanks for the flashback and who knows maybe I'll try him out one day.

Your welcome! Yeah never got into him when it came out. Like we say you can take the boy out of the island but not the island from the boy!