• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

USPS makes changes to its expedited product lineup. Sellers take note.

35 posts in this topic

USPS is making changes in its expedited products to add to their value and make the Postal Service more competitive in the shipping marketplace.

Starting July 28, Express Mail will be renamed Priority Mail Express to make use of the strong Priority Mail brand. All characteristics of the current Express Mail service will remain unchanged.

In addition, Express Mail International will be renamed Priority Mail Express International. The Express Mail Corporate Account will be called USPS Corporate Account.

The Postal Service also is seeking approval from the Postal Regulatory Commission to automatically include insurance — at no additional charge — with most Priority Mail pieces. Customers will receive $50 or $100 of insurance coverage, depending on the postage payment method used.

“We’re taking steps to keep the Postal Service competitive and meet customer needs,” said New Products and Innovation VP Gary Reblin. “We can continue to grow our package business by innovating, offering customers a variety of delivery options and seizing new opportunities for growth, especially from e-commerce.”

LINK

If they would just provide a flat rate box that can hold up to say 5 comics, and be wide enough for them without having to go to the medium box.

I agree - with the price being $5.60 for the FR envelope, and then $12.60 for the medium FR box, well that's quite a jump. And if I can find the right sized box on my own, it usually costs around $8 for 4-6 comics well-packaged. A FR box in the $8.50-$9 range would be perfect! 10"x12"x1-1/2" interior dimensions would be sweet.

*sigh*

-slym

If they would just provide a flat rate box that can hold up to say 5 comics, and be wide enough for them without having to go to the medium box.

I agree - with the price being $5.60 for the FR envelope, and then $12.60 for the medium FR box, well that's quite a jump. And if I can find the right sized box on my own, it usually costs around $8 for 4-6 comics well-packaged. A FR box in the $8.50-$9 range would be perfect! 10"x12"x1-1/2" interior dimensions would be sweet.

*sigh*

-slym

Regional Rate Box

13522932507nQ8OL.jpg + Star-David-craft-photo-350-AFormaro-091.JPG+ usps_pmc_fro_thb_pad.jpg= box14BIG.jpg

(Obviously for non-expensive comics only. For more expensive comics, I use all the above AND then put it in a box.)

I have received "bricks" from Nick in the UK that he packages in boxes like that of high grade raw books and they travel perfectly each time.

They are trying to tell you that you want to be using the padded flat rate envelope for 4-8 comics. Packed correctly these can be just as good or better than a box, mainly because they are shipped with the "flat" mail like letters and get handled much better than a box in a bin.

They are trying to tell you that you want to be using the padded flat rate envelope for 4-8 comics. Packed correctly these can be just as good or better than a box, mainly because they are shipped with the "flat" mail like letters and get handled much better than a box in a bin.

(thumbs u

Exactly. I get awesome feedback from customers on ebay about it. I put bagged/boarded comics in newspaper, cardboard, padded flat rate envelopes for shipping 9 out of 10 times. Like you say, it ends up being a "brick" in a padded envelope. I mark them "DO NOT BEND", but I make sure there is no way to bend it anyway, unless you're Superman. I only use boxes for slabs and raw comics $250 and up.

And yet most buyers want a box... hmm...

I can actually get up to 4 comics, well packaged, in a regular FR envelope. Comics in a larger bag, wrapped in bubble-wrap, then cardboard sandwiched, just barely fits with 4, maybe 5 comics (all my "sandwich" sheets are cut 12"x9".) But most people don't want their comics shipped in an envelope, and if they're paying, I will oblige.

:)

-slym

-slym

I've had buyers request a box. I messaged them back to trust me :insane: with the padded flat rate envelopes with proper packaging. They all wrote back excellent reviews after receiving the PFRE, and many said they would ship their comics that way for now on.

Again, I'm talking mostly low $$ moderns, copper, bronze that can be easily replaced or refunded if need be. But someone would actually have to make an intentional effort to damage the package. Or the USPS truck blows up. :grin:

I can actually get up to 4 comics, well packaged, in a regular FR envelope. Comics in a larger bag, wrapped in bubble-wrap, then cardboard sandwiched, just barely fits with 4, maybe 5 comics (all my "sandwich" sheets are cut 12"x9".) But most people don't want their comics shipped in an envelope, and if they're paying, I will oblige.

-slym

Use the legal flat rate envelopes. They are bigger than the regular priority envelopes, so you can actually fit small comic-sized boxes inside of the envelope. It's cheaper than mailing a box and like was mentioned earlier, because they ride in the "flats" trays, they don't take the beating that the boxes due in transit and in the distribution centers.

I know how secure my packaging is, I put the above-described system in 10"x13" manila envelopes and send it First Class for 1-2 comics, can get it under the 13-oz weight limit. But in my personal experience, most people ask or demand a box, and I don't blame them. I imagine some buyers have a bad experience with comics in just a plastic sleeve thrown in an envelope and sent on its way. I know as a buyer, I have.

So, I don't argue when they want a box, it is their money to spend. Esp. eBayers, I am not going to get near a dispute if I don't have to, now that I am starting to sell stuff there again.

;)

-slym

-slym

Use the legal flat rate envelopes. They are bigger than the regular priority envelopes, so you can actually fit small comic-sized boxes inside of the envelope. It's cheaper than mailing a box and like was mentioned earlier, because they ride in the "flats" trays, they don't take the beating that the boxes due in transit and in the distribution centers.

I mostly use boxes - and I keep a variety of Priority mail boxes on hand. The Regional rate boxes are great for packages over 4 pounds. I seldom find a use for flat rate boxes. If it's only a couple of pounds the regular boxes are cheaper - if it's over 4lbs the regional rate (B) boxes are cheaper.

When I use flat rate envelopes, I use legal. As you say, the extra space lets you package more securely.