• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dark Knight Returns #2 on Heritage

175 posts in this topic

I think this cover shows how much Miller & Varley collaborated on the artwork for the series - I love the published #2 cover, but the OA looks a bit like a hot mess of squiggles against a white background to me...it's a bit sparse without the color. That said, of course it's a significant, popular piece and I'm sure people will go nuts over it...probably has a decent shot at toppling the ASM #328 cover auction record.

I wonder if the #1 and #2 covers will end up in the same collection. hm

There were rumors that this was going to show up. Excited to finally see a detailed scan of it. The stat on Comiclink certainly didn't do this cover justice.

I will make a "bold" prediction. There will be a lot of talk about this cover before it sells and then there will be lots to talk about after it sells for whatever number it sells for.

Certainly memorable, but I wonder how much people 'like' the image? Is it something you would frame and put on the wall?

I think it's something you could frame and put on the wall. It would present better if it had thicker/heavier lines and more blacks to create more contrast in the absence of Varley's colors, but it's still a big, single image and would present reasonably well I think.

Regardless of all that, nobody who's a serious buyer for this piece is buying it for the aesthetic value, and financial/investment considerations are probably secondary as well. It's all about nostalgia, historical significance (within the hobby) and making a statement about who's the biggest, baddest BSD of them all in the hobby. There can be only one! :preach::devil:

Batman looks like he's struggling to fit inside the cover ("Must scrunch down and make myself smaller...grrr!").

It was clearly drawn as a showcase for Lynn Varley's colors. My favorite period of Frank's art...in published form. A bit spare in pen/ink.

He's got two different sized feet.

And none of that matters. A great piece. I love it. A preemptive congrats to the eventual lucky winner!

...probably has a decent shot at toppling the ASM #328 cover auction record.

It's kinda embarrassing for the hobby that the record is held by McFarlane, but as much as I'd like to see Miller retake the crown, I don't see it happening. Not given the players who will be involved. I don't expect any new blood to jump in and set a record at this level. Not for lack of trying by Heritage, of course. We'll see!

Certainly memorable, but I wonder how much people 'like' the image? Is it something you would frame and put on the wall?

Dang straight I would. I'd have to sort my wife out first, but it would go up and I'd love to look at it all day long

i LOVE this cover. Will be watching with popcorn at the ready.

ditto, ditto, ditto.

I am more interested to see the result of this auction than any auction I can remember.

Dang straight I would. I'd have to sort my wife out first, but it would go up and I'd love to look at it all day long

Constipated Batman. Really? :devil: