• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

legit autographs on Ebay?

35 posts in this topic

Nothing's Ever Easy For Sgt Rock and Easy Co...

I would say that your original statement came across as slightly more than "accusatory".... There was more wrong with it than there was right. To be blunt, it kinda ****** me off, as did your original handful of eBay messages. I'm assuming its ok to make assumptions here, spracknetch23 your ebay user id is rwhorn is it not?

So let me start by addressing everything in that second message you sent me, the one that secured your new residence on my blocked list (HugeRosen, you're gonna need some more popcorn bud!):

1) Lets start with the obvious. Before accusing someone of fraud get your facts straight. When I first received anonymous tip about this thread I was very angry, but after reviewing all of the comments here I don't think I could buy that kind of press.... I have never seen anyone actually defend a dealer on here, so perhaps I should thank you.

2) You mentioned that Eastman and Laird have not attended a show/signing together in 5 years. Maybe, maybe not....call their agent. How many different comic cons do you visit each year? I average 6-8 not counting smaller regional shows. Just because two signatures/doodles occupy the same 6 ⅝" × 10 ¼" space doesn't mean they were put there at the same time. Have you ever considered that?

3) You mentioned that Eastman and Laird would not have signed in the same color marker. Why not? That depends on a lot of different factors, if you catch a guy on the last day of a show with a huge line after he has already been signing for the past 3 days probably not....However, most folks will sign with your pretty pink paint marker if you ask 'em right. But if you talk to them the same way you have to/about me when asking for a quick head sketch with your signature I can promise you that the team "member" you find prominently displayed on the cover of your book just might surprise you! (If any of that got lost in the translation we can talk offline... But you're obviously a know it all so I'm sure you copy that.)

4) Concerning signature placement, variations, shaky lines, etc...

It's obvious that you have a little time on your hands, lets play a game. Try signing your name 50 times really fast. See any variations to your signature? Now sign it 50 more times. How about now? Ok, now sign your name repeatedly until the realization sets in that you feel hungry or feel like you need a **** break. Now multiply that by 2 or 3 days and inserts about 1,000 random questions and fanboy conversations. Feeling distracted yet? See where this is going? And we haven't even gotten started on the differences between flat signing while seated, signing while standing, walking, or while side stepping through a crowd of people with 15 different things shoved in your face and every 3rd person shooting for a photo op.

Miraclemet said it best, but if there's any doubt I would like to direct your attention to the following link from autographmagazine.com

Yes I realize it's NASCAR related and not comics related, but I believe all of the information covered with Dale Earnhardt, Jr's signing habits and signature variations is relevant to this discussion.

http://autographmagazine.com/2010/02/dale-earnhardt-jr-signing-habits-signature-variations/

You had your say, now I've had mine. I have been weighed. I have be I have been measured. And I have not been found wanting. If you had handled this like the amended post to start with I probably wouldn't have felt the need to climb up onto my soapbox. A random integrity check is a good thing, but slandering someone...not so much.

You had your say, now I've had mine. I have been weighed. I have be I have been measured. And I have not been found wanting. If you had handled this like the amended post to start with I probably wouldn't have felt the need to climb up onto my soapbox. A random integrity check is a good thing, but slandering someone...not so much.

(thumbs u

And welcome to the Boards!

i suppose unless the "signee's" come out and say they're fake then there's not really a way of telling, some look shakey but hard to accuse considering the variations on signatures and the start/end of a day

I would say that your original statement came across as slightly more than "accusatory".... There was more wrong with it than there was right. To be blunt, it kinda ****** me off, as did your original handful of eBay messages. I'm assuming its ok to make assumptions here, spracknetch23 your ebay user id is rwhorn is it not?

So let me start by addressing everything in that second message you sent me, the one that secured your new residence on my blocked list (HugeRosen, you're gonna need some more popcorn bud!):

1) Lets start with the obvious. Before accusing someone of fraud get your facts straight. When I first received anonymous tip about this thread I was very angry, but after reviewing all of the comments here I don't think I could buy that kind of press.... I have never seen anyone actually defend a dealer on here, so perhaps I should thank you.

2) You mentioned that Eastman and Laird have not attended a show/signing together in 5 years. Maybe, maybe not....call their agent. How many different comic cons do you visit each year? I average 6-8 not counting smaller regional shows. Just because two signatures/doodles occupy the same 6 ⅝" × 10 ¼" space doesn't mean they were put there at the same time. Have you ever considered that?

3) You mentioned that Eastman and Laird would not have signed in the same color marker. Why not? That depends on a lot of different factors, if you catch a guy on the last day of a show with a huge line after he has already been signing for the past 3 days probably not....However, most folks will sign with your pretty pink paint marker if you ask 'em right. But if you talk to them the same way you have to/about me when asking for a quick head sketch with your signature I can promise you that the team "member" you find prominently displayed on the cover of your book just might surprise you! (If any of that got lost in the translation we can talk offline... But you're obviously a know it all so I'm sure you copy that.)

It's obvious that you have a little time on your hands, lets play a game. Try signing your name 50 times really fast. See any variations to your signature? Now sign it 50 more times. How about now? Ok, now sign your name repeatedly until the realization sets in that you feel hungry or feel like you need a **** break. Now multiply that by 2 or 3 days and inserts about 1,000 random questions and fanboy conversations. Feeling distracted yet? See where this is going? And we haven't even gotten started on the differences between flat signing while seated, signing while standing, walking, or while side stepping through a crowd of people with 15 different things shoved in your face and every 3rd person shooting for a photo op.

Miraclemet said it best, but if there's any doubt I would like to direct your attention to the following link from autographmagazine.com

Yes I realize it's NASCAR related and not comics related, but I believe all of the information covered with Dale Earnhardt, Jr's signing habits and signature variations is relevant to this discussion.

http://autographmagazine.com/2010/02/dale-earnhardt-jr-signing-habits-signature-variations/

Welcome to the boards.

Though I know you feel the need to, you don't have to defend yourself. The OP was spanked by the other guys here and will hopefully use better judgement in the future.

You're certainly welcome to stay as you obviously have similar interests as the folks here. (thumbs u

The Charlie Adlard signature on TWD Image Firsts looks like a 4 year old did it!

You've obviously never seen Adlard's art.

The Charlie Adlard signature on TWD Image Firsts looks like a 4 year old did it!

You've obviously never seen Adlard's art.

kelso-burn-o.gif

Slide Mr. Bendis a stack of raw books sometime. Even better, Daniel Way...looks like two ampersands in a blender!

:roflmao:

I like to think that most of us here know better than to lob these types of accusations at sellers (here, ebay, cons or elsewhere) without some amount of justification beyond just :"it doesnt look right".

I also think faking those signatures would be a horrible business model for a forger, so it doesnt make sense from that direction either!

Welcome to the boards, and hope you stick around and join the community. We're a pretty fun bunch!

Welcome to the boards! As mentioned before I have bought something off you before on eBay and will continue to.

OP you are a turd, just saying.

First off, I would like to say that I did not message you on Ebay at all. My username is the same as it is here.

Second, I am sorry I jumped to conclusions. I have never seen Eastman and Laird sketch anything other than turtle heads on comic covers, not even holding swords, etc. However I suppose they would sketch anything requested. I understand it is unfair to accuse, and I should not have done that without proof other than my gut instinct. I think I trusted my gut instinct a little too much. There is always the benefit of the doubt.

First off, I would like to say that I did not message you on Ebay at all. My username is the same as it is here.

Second, I am sorry I jumped to conclusions. I have never seen Eastman and Laird sketch anything other than turtle heads on comic covers, not even holding swords, etc. However I suppose they would sketch anything requested. I understand it is unfair to accuse, and I should not have done that without proof other than my gut instinct. I think I trusted my gut instinct a little too much. There is always the benefit of the doubt.

Arn't most Eastman and Laird remark sketches (sketchs on books) of turtle heads?

That however point is so stupid. I was one of the persons who messages the ebay seller, mainly because every point you make is mess.

Arn't most Eastman and Laird remark sketches (sketchs on books) of turtle heads?

That's what I was saying. Most of the sketches here are story-specific, or side characters, which I've never seen them do before on covers. Dumb point I guess, you're right. Just trusted my instinct a little too much when originally posting. I admit it was not right.

Fair enough. I'm a old school grunt, and sometimes when I get mad it's like a pig in mud. An old saying I've heard passed around goes: "Arguing with the infantry is like mud-wrestling a pig. You both get dirty, but the pig loves it."

I have about 50 long boxes of my private collection which contains a small amount of signed stuff that I'll be putting on the market, and I just picked up a big collection with some signed raw books.....But once all of that is gone I think I will only deal with CGC signature series books moving forward.

Checkpoint Charlie is still very small, but it has experienced some growth spurts recently. Almost too much growth. If that continues I don't need anymore little SNAFU's like this because some people might not take the time to read each post.