• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Whatever Happened to Kandor?

13 posts in this topic

It was Godfall. Superman was battling Kandorians because he was trapped in the city. The city of Kandor is still kept in a bottle at the Fortress of Solitude. At least it was there when the Godfall storyline ended.

I was perusing my Superman books today, and re-read Superman 338 when Superman enlarged Kandor (the bottle city), only to see it crumble. Was there ever a follow up story to this, and/or did the Kandorians ever successfully recover?

B3229338.JPG

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

589505-Action725.jpg

589505-Action725.jpg.26f77dc32e8c818ed6e9f7dcbe29e6d0.jpg

I was perusing my Superman books today, and re-read Superman 338 when Superman enlarged Kandor (the bottle city), only to see it crumble. Was there ever a follow up story to this, and/or did the Kandorians ever successfully recover?

B3229338.JPG

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

589505-Action725.jpg

Someones in need of a pair of clippers... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

B3229338.JPG

Sterling,

All the other responses to your question pertain to the post-Byrne continuity reboot-- I'm sure they're correct, although I have no idea how Kandor was re-introduced to the post-Crisis continuity.

What I do happen to know is that in one of the very final Julie Schwartz edited issues, Superman returns to the New Krypton planet where Kandor is located in order to battle the Superman Revenge Squad and return Supergirl's body (following her Crisis on Infinite Earths death) to her parents. In this story, Kandor has rebuilt itself, and seems to be in the same futuristic high-tech state it was prior to seemingly crumbling to dust in the issue you mention. I'm not sure if there was an interim story explaining all this.

The issue I'm referring to is Superman #414:

0.gif

And as luck would have it, you can read the issue on-line here.

Curt Swan inked by Al Williamson cloud9.gif

It's actually a better combination in theory than in practice in Superman #414. I remember some other issues inked by Williamson that I thought were pretty sweet: maybe it was the cruddy printing DC was using in those days that make this particular story so scratchy-looking to me now...

Anyway, back to Sterling's question: Here's another piece of the puzzle. Kandor also appeared in the pre-Crisis miniseries "Krypton Chronicles" according to this web page

Here's an excerpt (emphasis mine):

Krypton Chronicles No. 1

September 1981

Feature Character: Superman (last appearance in DC COMICS PRESENTS #39)

GS: Supergirl (last appearance in SUPERMAN FAMILY #211), Kandorians (last appearance in SUPERMAN #338)

Supporting Characters: Morgan Edge (last appearance in SUPERMAN FAMILY #208; next appears in issue #3), Perry White (last appearance in SUPERMAN FAMILY #211; next appears in issue #3), Zor-El, Allura, Van-Zee, Drygur Moliom (last appearance for all in SUPERMAN #338),

Comments: New Krypton is named Rokyn in this story.

Synopsis: Morgan Edge calls in Perry White and Clark Kent and tells them that Kent will be assigned to write a series on Superman's ancestors, which will run in the Daily Planet, be collected in to book form, and be adapted to television as a mini-series. To gather information, Superman and Supergirl go to Rokyn, the planet on which the Kandorians have settled, which has now reentered the Earth-One dimension for a time with the shifting of the Cosmic Axis.

Krypton Chronicles No. 2

October 1981

Feature Character: Superman

GS: Supergirl, Kandorians (next appear in SUPERMAN #414)

Supporting Characters: Van-Zee, Allura, Zor-El (all next appear in SUPERMAN #414)

So it looks like we've narrowed down the Kandor appearances between Superman 338 and the Byrne post-Crisis re-boot. thumbsup2.gif