• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Do You Ever Stop and Think...

44 posts in this topic

... about what you could do with the funds from liquidating your comic collection?

My wife and I just had a visit with a realtor, and we're looking to sell our current house and buy a new one. We've done well work-wise, and we can afford taking a slight hit on the resale price, but the amount the agent quoted was a little lower than we were hoping for. And it's definitely time for a house upgrade (bought it when it was just the two of us on one income--now it's four of us on two incomes).

As I looked in my comc closet, I realized just how much house I could buy if I just sold it all off. Those of you who know me and my collecting habits, know my stuff IS lower grade... but I also happen to have been fortunate enough to land a LOT of keys. Suffice to say, I'd be able to buy a bit more property.

*Sigh*

My wife's cool. When I told her what ran across my mind, she commented how horrible that'd be. I agreed. Still... dangerous thoughts running across my mind.

That ever happen to the rest of you?

Only when I'm thinking that life is going too well and I need to come up with something to get me back down to reality

My collection has been my rainy day fund/ retirement fund for the past decade or more.

I wouldn't hesitate to sell it if my family needed the money. When I fully retire in the next few years, my plan is to sell about $1,000 a month to supplement my lifestyle.

To that end, I'm selling off my lower value books and buying better stuff. Might sell 200 midgrade BA books and buy one semi-key SA book with the money.

I treat my books like money in the bank, which is what they will be.

I've been buying junk for the last 15 years so as not to face that temptation. :-) Actually, there are a few keys and some runs that are worth a non-trivial amount of money when you put it all together, but it's not really a life-changing amount.

I'd like to pass the collection on to one or both of my children, if the interest is there.

Yeah, my wife knows the deal with the collection:

1. If we ever somehow fell on hard times, the collection goes.

2. (And what I expect to be more likely) I die and they get split amongst my two boys.

It was just one of those nights where I walked by the comic closet at the wrong time with the wrong thoughts in my head.

I already have. Huge vintage Super Powers collection, vintage toy collection, Silver Age comic collection and Atari 2600 collection...all sold to pay bills because I couldn't find work for over 2 years.

It sucks balls, let me tell you.

Peace,

Chip

I already have. Huge vintage Super Powers collection, vintage toy collection, Silver Age comic collection and Atari 2600 collection...all sold to pay bills because I couldn't find work for over 2 years.

It sucks balls, let me tell you.

I know that pain... & I know it right now. My Uncannys will be absolutely last, in hopes some sort of miracle happens.

:cry:

-slym