• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

New Mutants Annual #2/Psylocke Appreciation Thread

173 posts in this topic

-Asian- chicks are hot. That is all.

Except for the fact that he is not (asian, or oriental, or whatever). She is british. and this:

Initially written as a pure telepath with few fighting skills,[3] Psylocke later adopts body armor.[6] This changes in Uncanny X-Men #250–251 (1989), where the X-Men flee from the cybernetic terrorists, the Reavers, through the Siege Perilous, an extradimensional teleportation device. In the next story arc, Braddock has fallen prey to the Japanese terrorists of the Hand, who brainwash and physically alter her. Braddock now believes herself to be "Lady Mandarin", the Hand's supreme assassin. This physical manipulation involves the modification of Braddock's physical features, modifying them from the previously established depiction of European to Japanese. After she is rescued by the X-Men's Wolverine and overcomes her brainwashing, the character retains the combat skills granted through the Hand's modification techniques[7] as well as the ability to manifest her total focused telepathy in the form of a "psychic knife."

With the launch of X-Men, vol. 2, the team splits, with Psylocke joining the team led by Cyclops. In Jim Lee–written issues, the character becomes flirtatious with Cyclops, eventually attempting to seduce him.[8] At this point, Kwannon, a new character with the physical appearance of Braddock prior to the Hand's manipulation, claims to be the original Psylocke, accusing the Japanese-featured Braddock of being an impostor. After Jim Lee and six other creators left Marvel Comics to found Image Comics, new scriptwriter Fabian Nicieza established that Kwannon is the impostor and that Braddock's flirtations with Cyclops were part of a genetic and mental splicing in which the Kwannon impostor was first created.[9]

is pure £#/&%. Sorry. :sick:

Oh, I know. It is her 1st USA appearance.

I always felt you experience a much better character later with Lady Mandarin and beyond.

psylockes_by_nickdraw-d35ekba.jpg

I like the one in the middle. The one on the right is nice, in a teen boy fantasy way, but I'm old and married, and don't particularly look for the French cut bathing suit look anymore. It is nice though. :)

How about her pre-X-Men days:

447px-CaptainBritain13.jpg

All that post-Mandarine stuff is just nonsense to me. Psylocke was a great character, they just messed her up and trashed her, to make a new character out of her. But he barely is her. I recall one of the reasons for which I stopped reading ALL of the mutant titles in the early 1990s were precisely those.

I guess they were appealing to new readers, but most of what they did (including Cable and X-Force) is in blatant contradiction to all that had been happening previously, and to the history of many loved characters (Cannonball or Rahne, for one).

It's always interesting when creative teams change or there is a major departure, and a new team comes in to take the reins.

Wolverine's background and relationship with Sabretooth would have been interesting if it had headed down the path hinted at in different books. But Wolverine's origin could have been drastically changed as well.

In an article about the evolution of Wolverine included in a 1986 reprint of The Incredible Hulk #180-181, titled Incredible Hulk and Wolverine, Cockrum is quoted as saying that he considered having the High Evolutionary play a vital role in making Wolverine a human. Writer Wein wanted Wolverine to be the age of a young adult, with superhuman strength and agility similar to Spider-Man. This changed when Wein saw Cockrum's drawing of the unmasked Wolverine as a hairy 40-year-old. Wein originally intended the claws to be retractable and part of Wolverine's gloves, and both gloves and claws would be made of adamantium. Chris Claremont eventually revealed that they were an integrated part of Wolverine's anatomy in X-Men #98 (April 1976). Writer Jeph Loeb used a similar origin for Wolverine in the Marvel continuity, having feral mutants be an evolved lifeform.

But then there was the Byrne influence.

John Byrne said in interviews and on his website that he drew a possible face for Wolverine, but then learned that Dave Cockrum had already drawn him unmasked in X-Men #98 (April 1976), long before Byrne's run on the series. Later, Byrne used the drawing for the face of Sabretooth, an enemy of the martial artist superhero Iron Fist, whose stories Chris Claremont was writing. Byrne then had the idea of Sabretooth being Wolverine's father. Together, Byrne and Claremont came up with Wolverine being approximately 60 years old and having served in World War II after escaping from Sabretooth, who was approximately 120 years old. The plan had been for Wolverine to have been almost crushed in an accident; he would discover, when attempting to stand for the first time after recovering, that his healing factor does not work on bones, and his legs immediately break. He then spends over a decade in a hospital bed, almost going mad, when the Canadian government approaches him with the idea of replacing his skeleton one bone at a time with adamantium, the claws being a surprise. This origin, too, was never used.

How about her pre-X-Men days:

447px-CaptainBritain13.jpg

All that post-Mandarine stuff is just nonsense to me. Psylocke was a great character, they just messed her up and trashed her, to make a new character out of her. But he barely is her. I recall one of the reasons for which I stopped reading ALL of the mutant titles in the early 1990s were precisely those.

I guess they were appealing to new readers, but most of what they did (including Cable and X-Force) is in blatant contradiction to all that had been happening previously, and to the history of many loved characters (Cannonball or Rahne, for one).

Racist. lol:baiting:

hm

The new mutants 98 you sold me went to a good home and I love it. I will do the same for the New Mutants Annual 2. :banana:lol

See, that's the thing. He is so sly, and acts like nothing is going on. Some would say...

Its%20Magic%20Small.jpg

I like the one in the middle. The one on the right is nice, in a teen boy fantasy way, but I'm old and married, and don't particularly look for the French cut bathing suit look anymore. It is nice though. :)

You sure?

walkingleather.gif

Nice :cloud9:

You sure?

walkingleather.gif

Bosco, AWESOME recap!! Thanks for taking the time. I was gonna do it but I'm lazy ...

One of my focuses has been female heroine and villain early appearances in my collection. With the X-Men/New Mutants/X-Force titles, there are plenty of those. Psylocke is one of those I appreciated.

:cloud9: