• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tape or slight professional restoration?

16 posts in this topic

I "Prefer" neither. However, on a book by book basis, some SP books can have the repairs removed and be in blue holders. In many cases, tape can also be removed. I think your question is to generic and general to receive a specific answer. If they were identical books in identical grades with identical prices I'd take the book with a small piece of tape.

this board is a little hypersensitive to tape, but out there in the world the blue book with tape is gonna run past the purple book. the board is full of sophisticated collectors, and isn't a microcosm of the hobby at large. in c'link auction, i was watching pgx books perform pretty darn well---majority of boardies would either not touch them, or would only get them at drastically reduced [to guide] prices.

this board is a little hypersensitive to tape, but out there in the world the blue book with tape is gonna run past the purple book. the board is full of sophisticated collectors, and isn't a microcosm of the hobby at large. in c'link auction, i was watching pgx books perform pretty darn well---majority of boardies would either not touch them, or would only get them at drastically reduced [to guide] prices.
(thumbs u

Billy is spot on with his analysis about how the market reacts to tape as opposed to slight (or any) restoration.

With that said...I'll take the purple :)

It all depends on your situation. If you want a book just for your collection without trying to resell than I would go purple.. If you plan on maybe selling soon than is go with the tape one in a blue label. The stigma for purple labels in GA books is getting better but not quite the same value compared to their blue labeled counterparts.

If we're talking about slabbed books, those with tape are in a tough spot right now, as their grades are essentially invalidated by CGC's new stance.

isn't this just for books where the tape puts a cover back on? where there's a little taped tear seal, it's going to also be subject to a new eye?

If we're talking about slabbed books, those with tape are in a tough spot right now, as their grades are essentially invalidated by CGC's new stance.

isn't this just for books where the tape puts a cover back on? where there's a little taped tear seal, it's going to also be subject to a new eye?

Yes, that's true, it's only when tape previously improved the grade that the grade is now invalidated.

I own both taped books and restored books. I've noticed I rather keep the restored slight resto books for some reason. I was curious because I've seen many collectors keep taped books. I always wonder why? The slight resto if done correctly looks very nice as tape always looks ugly. Yes you are all sophisticated! As someone said above. I am a more simpleton collector and prefer many books as opposed to 1 super nice book.

I would take a purple label slight over tape, and in fact won two at great prices in the heritage sale.

Ankur

How about when a purple label slight, is purple because of tape (and perhaps a little glue?) When I see a key book in a slight (P) or (A) label and the only notes stating the reason for a purple label is because of tape or some glue, in my mind anyway, I see a book that is just as desirable as a book in the same grade with similar additional notes that happens to have a blue label.