• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

[CLOSED] Whiz Comics #1 (2) CGC 4.0 Moderate restored For Sale
1 1

82 posts in this topic

Because of the cover stock that Fawcett used at the time, most copies of early Fawcett books (Captain Marvel Adventures, Special Edition #1 and Whiz #1) experienced heavy spine wear/splitting along the spine. That is the main reason that those books do not exist in higher grades and even in lower grades, usually exist in pieces.

Early… up to which point, Roy? Just curious as I love Captain Marvel… :cloud9:

I don't know exactly which books but I do know the earliest are always in rough shape.

Special Edition Comics #1 seems to be more common in higher grades (there's a whopping 65 total graded copies - understand that whopping is relative lol Because that book was the first book entirely devoted to CM it may have been printed in massive numbers as well due to CM's popularity.) but my old copy had a spine split.

Probably the toughest of the bunch is Captain Marvel Adventures. Highest graded CMA is a CGC 5.0 ( :o ) Total of 32 graded with 16 unrestored and 16 restored. That's shocking when you realize that all 16 unrestored copies are below 5.5.

I remember reading about this book a long time ago(before internet) I looked for it in a few cities/states and never have seen a copy of it.

As far as childhood memories go, this one is my favourite story to read as a kid. I still find it heartwarming to this day. The quality of Fawcett story telling was relatively good for the era compared to some other publishers who tried to rival DC at the time. I don't remember how I read the story but it must have been one of those Treasury reprints because the story is engraved in my mind.

I remember reading about this book a long time ago(before internet) I looked for it in a few cities/states and never have seen a copy of it.

As far as childhood memories go, this one is my favourite story to read as a kid. I still find it heartwarming to this day. The quality of Fawcett story telling was relatively good for the era compared to some other publishers who tried to rival DC at the time. I don't remember how I read the story but it must have been one of those Treasury reprints because the story is engraved in my mind.

Agreed. I read the Famous First Edition a lot as a kid too. Every story in Whiz 1 is pretty good, especially Ibis.

Ditto. My twin bro sayeth the SHAZAM motto a zillion times ! :insane:

Now there's something you don't see every day. If the legal dust ever settles and this character comes back to life, I see a pretty good upside potential in this book...

Who cares about the legal dust? Capt. Marvel stories are more than often awesome (at least those in the Marvel Family, which I am more familiar with)! (thumbs u

Wow!

Great Book Roy!!

Did you even read all the junque I wrote??

:pullhair:

I've read far more boring tirades, that were far longer, in far less time.

Is the color touch a marker that bled through?

For whatever reason I didn't see this question earlier. :blush:

No, the colour touch is not marker that bled through. I don't see any bleed through.

(thumbs u