• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

[CLOSED] Whiz Comics #1 (2) CGC 4.0 Moderate restored For Sale
1 1

82 posts in this topic

Gang, have a pretty special book up for grabs. Featuring "the world's mightiest mortal", this genuinely is a tough book in any grade. I looked for a few years before finally finding a copy to fill my personal run. :cloud9:

There are only 37 books on the census in total with only 15 being Universal and 22 being restored.

To compare, Action #1 has 60 graded copies 35 Universal and 25 Restored and Marvel Comics #1 has 55 graded copies with 23 Universal and 32 Restored.

For those that don't know (or follow the GA forum discussions), Captain Marvel eventually outsold his competitor Superman by 2 to 1 during the Golden Age of the 1940's until DC put Fawcett out of business with a law suit claiming that he was a copy of Superman. In my opinion nothing could be further from the truth as CM was a being that relied on magic while Supes was an Alien. In any case, it was DC's lawyers that eventually killed the character and not comic sales. Who wouldn't want to be a kid that turned into a Superhero with a magic word?

:banana:

Whiz #1 was considered a mega key alongside Action #1 and Marvel #1 but has in the last few decades faded into obscurity, partly because the character has not been used extensively over the years (this may be due to the Marvel Man lawsuit going on - I haven't really followed the details but I do know the name and rights are being disputed) and also because relatively few copies change hands, making it difficult to create a market for the book.

Sorry for the diatribe but since I don't post much any more I had to get that out of me! :D

Because of the cover stock that Fawcett used at the time, most copies of early Fawcett books (Captain Marvel Adventures, Special Edition #1 and Whiz #1) experienced heavy spine wear/splitting along the spine. That is the main reason that those books do not exist in higher grades and even in lower grades, usually exist in pieces.

The book was originally graded a CGC 4.0 MP LtOW and I have removed the book from the holder. Restoration includes colour touch, spine splits sealed, tear seals, reinforced. For the life of me I haven't been able to find the old label but it is possible that I turned it in by accident as the book no longer shows up on the census (I don't remember turning it in). I do have pics of the book in the holder thanks to Greg Reece, whom I purchased the book from.

A very difficult book to price, because they rarely sell in any grade, I can only offer what little comparative info I have.

I know Matt Nelson / Worldwide had a CGC 3.0 Blue Label priced at $10,000 in 2010. I had my eye on that copy at the time but it had a strip of tape sealing the spine from top to bottom. While I was pondering the book it was stolen at a show in NYC about 3 or 4 years ago.

These are the only other sales I am aware of from the past 2 years to give you an indication of valuation.

CGC 1.0 sale @ $9560 in May 2012.

CGC 2.0 sale @ $13,600 in January 2013 (Cover reattached with tape, tape on cover and interior)

CGC 6.0 sale @ $176,000 in December 2011.

CGC 6.0 EP sale @ $4481 in February 2013

CGC 7.5 EP (trimmed) sale @ $6600 in April 2013

CGC 9.0 sale @ $281,000 in December 2012

I am sure that the book would have graded higher than a CGC 1.0 without the restoration, as the entire book is complete with no pieces missing - there were no pieces added to the book and so likely would have graded in the 1.5/1.8 range with a detached or partially detached cover. For that reason I value the book in the $12,000 range so that is my asking price.

Feel free to drop me a PM with any questions or concerns.

100_9021.jpg

100_9023.jpg

WhizComics.jpg

WhizComics21CGC45LTOWSPback.jpg

I sure did...I love learning about the history of the comic books themselves and not just the characters.

Fantastic book, and GLWTS!

Peace,

Chip

+1...I love the history of comic books almost as much if not more than the characters themselves. This is truly a fantastic book, one I haven't seen in person but one time. GLWTS.

Gang, have a pretty special book up for grabs. Featuring "the world's mightiest mortal", this genuinely is a tough book in any grade. I looked for a few years before finally finding a copy to fill my personal run. :cloud9:

There are only 37 books on the census in total with only 15 being Universal and 22 being restored.

To compare, Action #1 has 60 graded copies 35 Universal and 25 Restored and Marvel Comics #1 has 55 graded copies with 23 Universal and 32 Restored.

For those that don't know (or follow the GA forum discussions), Captain Marvel eventually outsold his competitor Superman by 2 to 1 during the Golden Age of the 1940's until DC put Fawcett out of business with a law suit claiming that he was a copy of Superman. In my opinion nothing could be further from the truth as CM was a being that relied on magic while Supes was an Alien. In any case, it was DC's lawyers that eventually killed the character and not comic sales. Who wouldn't want to be a kid that turned into a Superhero with a magic word?

:banana:

Whiz #1 was considered a mega key alongside Action #1 and Marvel #1 but has in the last few decades faded into obscurity, partly because the character has not been used extensively over the years (this may be due to the Marvel Man lawsuit going on - I haven't really followed the details but I do know the name and rights are being disputed) and also because relatively few copies change hands, making it difficult to create a market for the book.

Sorry for the diatribe but since I don't post much any more I had to get that out of me! :D

Because of the cover stock that Fawcett used at the time, most copies of early Fawcett books (Captain Marvel Adventures, Special Edition #1 and Whiz #1) experienced heavy spine wear/splitting along the spine. That is the main reason that those books do not exist in higher grades and even in lower grades, usually exist in pieces.

The book was originally graded a CGC 4.0 MP LtOW and I have removed the book from the holder. Restoration includes colour touch, spine splits sealed, tear seals, reinforced. For the life of me I haven't been able to find the old label but it is possible that I turned it in by accident as the book no longer shows up on the census (I don't remember turning it in). I do have pics of the book in the holder thanks to Greg Reece, whom I purchased the book from.

A very difficult book to price, because they rarely sell in any grade, I can only offer what little comparative info I have.

I know Matt Nelson / Worldwide had a CGC 3.0 Blue Label priced at $10,000 in 2010. I had my eye on that copy at the time but it had a strip of tape sealing the spine from top to bottom. While I was pondering the book it was stolen at a show in NYC about 3 or 4 years ago.

These are the only other sales I am aware of from the past 2 years to give you an indication of valuation.

CGC 1.0 sale @ $9560 in May 2012.

CGC 2.0 sale @ $13,600 in January 2013 (Cover reattached with tape, tape on cover and interior)

CGC 6.0 sale @ $176,000 in December 2011.

CGC 6.0 EP sale @ $4481 in February 2013

CGC 7.5 EP (trimmed) sale @ $6600 in April 2013

CGC 9.0 sale @ $281,000 in December 2012

I am sure that the book would have graded higher than a CGC 1.0 without the restoration, as the entire book is complete with no pieces missing - there were no pieces added to the book and so likely would have graded in the 1.5/1.8 range with a detached or partially detached cover. For that reason I value the book in the $12,000 range so that is my asking price.

Feel free to drop me a PM with any questions or concerns.

100_9021.jpg

100_9023.jpg

WhizComics.jpg

WhizComics21CGC45LTOWSPback.jpg

I can tolerate color touch but not "colour touch"

Early… up to which point, Roy? Just curious as I love Captain Marvel… :cloud9:

Great book.

Is the color touch a marker that bled through?

Have you asked anyone about resto removal? Or, if resto removal isn't possible maybe having Matt & Kenny take it to a higher restored grade?

I know for a fact that it could be restored to a higher grade. I haven't spoken to anyone about removing the resto but I suppose that is an option as well.

For books in my personal collection I just don't bother doing anything to sink more money into them but someone else can.