• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Undisclosed Restoration?

25 posts in this topic

Hello all, I am brand new at the boards, so please excuse any breaches in board etiquette or dumb questions. The question I have is an issue that I have run into recently with books I have been purchasing from a particular seller. Has anyone had experience with SAMCO1 on ebay, and are there any opinions on whether he restores? I have made purchases lately that to me, look too good to be true. Not trying to hurt anyone's good name, just trying to educate myself before I spend any more money. I have been collecting for years, but am discovering only recently how little I know...thanks in advance.

Thanks for responding. I did not think about searching...on reading those I am pretty bummed as I am sure that I have been shilled and now the proud owner of a stack of restored comics, (which I will be studying closely tonight). What is overspray? One member said that black powdery overspray was his trademark?

Thanks again.

Thanks for responding. I did not think about searching...on reading those I am pretty bummed as I am sure that I have been shilled and now the proud owner of a stack of restored comics, (which I will be studying closely tonight). What is overspray? One member said that black powdery overspray was his trademark?

Thanks again.

In ye olden days, comic distributers would spray the tops of bundled comics with ink in order to ... I can't quite remember why they did this. Maybe to identify their comics so retailers wouldn't try to stick them with returns that were actually from other distributers?

In any event, I have no experience with this dealer but one way to disguise color touch would be to use a spray that mimics a distributer's spray. At any rate, I think that's what they are claiming went on.

I think I must have got lucky? I bought a raw ASM #50 off of him and surprisingly got it for a good price. It was advertised as a strong 7.5. Got it signed by Stan Lee and John Romita came back with a 7.0 sig series label and unrestored - It is the book in my sig line.

Having said that, I then bought a few others and I returned them for over grading. The worst was ASM #65 that had completely rusted staples on the inside of the book, so much so there were 'flecks' all throughout the pages. Those went back and I was refunded, including the return shipping.

I

[in ye olden days, comic distributers would spray the tops of bundled comics with ink in order to ... I can't quite remember why they did this. Maybe to identify their comics so retailers wouldn't try to stick them with returns that were actually from other distributers?

As I recall they were twofold: first to identify the books as having from THAT distributor and also as an alert to the retailer that is was time to return them. So the retailer would get an alert from the distributor asking them to return books with a certain color. Kind of like a combo distributor identifier and date code on one.

I believe this to be correct but at my age the memory can get hazy. :blush:

Thanks. One thing I notice on a few books are some black specks on the cover. Is that typical printing related, or evidence of something else?

I doubt it's printing-related if it's across multiple books. Sounds like it could be residue from that "black powdery color touch" a few boardies warn about in

Montezuma's linked thread.

Just sifting through his completed auctions, I notice this raw ASM #28 which sold for $222.50...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMAZING-SPIDERMAN-28-Early-Silver-Age-FN6-5-to-FN-VF-WOW-/271209976490?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item3f255fd2aa&nma=true&si=yd9PVdUt1PjXcwLWupZS7wJg%252FTU%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

This issue is often a color touch target because of the black cover. When you view the scan, check out how the lower-right-corner crease breaks color in the blue box, but 'disappears' in the black areas (because the black is much easier to match than the dark blue). I would strongly suspect color touch in those areas.

Can you post large scans of your books here?

I have a couple of pictures but cannot figure out how to attach...thanks very much for the reply.

(thumbs u :wishluck:

Go to photobucket.com, open a free account and upload your images there, copy the image addresses and paste them in a post here using tags around each.

Hard to tell from the scans, but at a glance the first two look OK to me. Anything in particular you are concerned about?

Knowing Samco's history, I'm wary of some of the black areas on the Daredevil... the upper right corner creasing and the bottom center crease might well have been darkened a bit.

I am not sure, but I will try. I have a couple of pictures but cannot figure out how to attach...thanks very much for the reply.

Welcome to the boards. Before buying from any seller it's a good idea to google their name and use the boards search function..

Thanks. The Journey looks trimmed to me because so rough, unless that is normal, and the 149 appears to have some strange looking streaks, changes in the color (like a swipe or streak), looks unusual to me. I was curious about the crease on DD, otherwise it looks like a nice book to me. I know just enough to get into trouble I guess, so since I purchased a bunch of books wanted to make sure. I may be showing my ignorance on these but I will be educating myself better now on the boards, and to be honest, have discovered the books for sale here and think I have found a new place to buy :idea:

Thanks for taking the time to look and help me.

Well, the Thor has some stains up in the logo, but those look like stains not resto.

The JIM doesn't look trimmed to me, but unless its a heinous trim job deducing from a scan is very tough and these aren't the greatest scans. The rough edge most likely indicates a dull blade at the printer.

When scanning, make sure that every edge of the book is visible; these are a bit cropped in spots.

Distrubutor's overspray is USUALLY Green, Blue or sometimes purple. I've never seen black. Not that it couldn't have ever happened, but doubtful.

They usually used colors that were not the same as most comics, so that it would be obvious. Black was a common comic book cover.