• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,253 posts in this topic

On 7/19/2021 at 9:02 AM, Jayman said:

Interesting, I see they added “Classic Skull Cover” to the label. Mine doesn’t say that. Wonder when they decided to add that?

Does it matter Jay? You know more than any of the graders at CGC about what criteria should be applied to conclude whether a precode horror comic book cover is a “classic cover.” There are so many classic covers that don’t have the designation on a CGC label. Let’s remember that we send books to CGC to get a third party perspective on the a book’s grade. Nothing more. A consensus of collectors will decide what book has a classic cover. 

On 7/19/2021 at 1:15 PM, X_Phile said:

Congrats Paul! Very nice presenting book. I am a huge fan of the low grade, great presenting PCH books. I finally just got this one back in my PC which is low grade but presents much better than my higher grade copy that I sold a while ago. Couldn't be happier. 

2021-07-15-0001.jpg

Thanks Bob. Awesome book, congrats. (worship)

Spoiler

You know where I am, if and when you want to offload it.  :baiting:

On 7/19/2021 at 9:12 AM, bronze johnny said:

Does it matter Jay? You know more than any of the graders at CGC about what criteria should be applied to conclude whether a precode horror comic book cover is a “classic cover.” There are so many classic covers that don’t have the designation on a CGC label. Let’s remember that we send books to CGC to get a third party perspective on the a book’s grade. Nothing more. A consensus of collectors will decide what book has a classic cover. 

No it doesn’t matter to me at all, just wondering when CGC finally noticed enough to add this to their labels. I seem to notice these additions more random lately.

On 7/19/2021 at 2:16 PM, bronze johnny said:

Here’s one from my collection that’s an all-time classic cover by the “Ghastly One,” which doesn’t have “classic cover” on the CGC label. 
ADE00C9F-8918-4A24-9163-83AF982088B0.jpeg.cc0cf5d437a44a7e64cdadaaa7feba33.jpeg

The most out there of Ghastly's covers. A classic in any pre-code fan's book, regardless of what CGC does or does not designate.

On 7/15/2021 at 5:07 PM, fifties said:

New pickup on eBay, cross posting in the Fox Appreciation thread.  As an added bonus that the seller apparently wasn't aware of, there's an SOTI panel in the first story!   :)

Almanac of Crime 1.jpg

Almanac of Crime 1 SOTI panel.jpg

Fugitives From Justice 3 , Almanac of Crime 1 SOTI.jpg

Does your copy also have a Phantom Lady issue?  The western comic seems incomplete in some Almanacs.  

On 7/19/2021 at 11:20 AM, BB-Gun said:

Does your copy also have a Phantom Lady issue?  The western comic seems incomplete in some Almanacs.  

The first story, "Cattle Kate", actually starts on it's first page, printed on the inside FC, just like the regular comic issue, and is preceded by a second story, so that = 17 pages total. 

Then 32 pages each of JoJo, Western Thrillers, Phantom Lady, & Famous Crimes.  145 story pages including the inside FC.  Since Fox counted both sides of each cover, that then = the 148 pages they state on the FC. 

If they hadn't basically cut the first western in half, the total would have been 164.  That sectioning would have required extra labor time, so there must have been some reason they chopped it.  Maybe the staple leg length, as they barely make it through the last page (mine doesn't have the BC).

On 7/19/2021 at 12:25 PM, Jayman said:

No it doesn’t matter to me at all, just wondering when CGC finally noticed enough to add this to their labels. I seem to notice these additions more random lately.

Makes me wonder what criteria, if any, they apply.

On 7/19/2021 at 3:30 PM, fifties said:

The first story, "Cattle Kate", actually starts on it's first page, printed on the inside FC, just like the regular comic issue, and is preceded by a second story, so that = 17 pages total. 

Then 32 pages each of JoJo, Western Thrillers, Phantom Lady, & Famous Crimes.  145 story pages including the inside FC.  Since Fox counted both sides of each cover, that then = the 148 pages they state on the FC. 

If they hadn't basically cut the first western in half, the total would have been 164.  That sectioning would have required extra labor time, so there must have been some reason they chopped it.  Maybe the staple leg length, as they barely make it through the last page (mine doesn't have the BC).

I have two copies and one of them is the same.

On 7/20/2021 at 8:51 PM, fifties said:

Any chance you could send me scans of each side of the back cover?

Back cover is easy to scan but not sure if I can get a good scan of the inside.  

One issue has Zoot and the other Rulah (b copy).  There is also a Famous Crimes (b copy) instead of Jo Jo.

Therefore the content varies a little.

Edited by BB-Gun