• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,259 posts in this topic

On 7/30/2021 at 4:25 PM, fifties said:

Scratch off the wanted list one grail, slabbed and all.  Scans much better out of the holder.  Also received yesterday was CS 1, and as a bonus that the seller didn't mention, an SOTI panel.  I read the story, and the girl was "attacked and murdered", not "raped".  Seems the good doctor inferred his own conception of the word, in his quest to make the story seem more vile, and add to his cause to "protect" us from these awful comic books...

Thrilling Crime 49 slabbed.jpg

Thrilling Crime 49.jpg

Crime Smashers 1.jpg

Crime Smashers 1 SOTI panel.jpg

SOTI Crime Smashers 1.jpg

Awesome books!!

On 8/1/2021 at 10:35 PM, Point Five said:

I've been chipping away at this zany title the last few years. Nine issues shown, and just had an offer accepted on a #7 which will bring me to ten. Five more to go!  :banana: 

IMG_4966.thumb.JPG.96827222d71c8e644058aa87766491b0.JPG

Tough books and so undervalued :banana:

On 8/2/2021 at 9:26 AM, comicjack said:

Tough books and so undervalued :banana:

Cheers Jack! It's a fun series, though prices are starting to creep up. I love how the covers run the gamut from fairly realistic crime themes, to horror and slightly fantastical elements, to covers that are just completely over-the-top (monsters, werewolves, green aliens and what have you).

On 7/30/2021 at 2:25 PM, fifties said:

Scratch off the wanted list one grail, slabbed and all.  Scans much better out of the holder.  Also received yesterday was CS 1, and as a bonus that the seller didn't mention, an SOTI panel.  I read the story, and the girl was "attacked and murdered", not "raped".  Seems the good doctor inferred his own conception of the word, in his quest to make the story seem more vile, and add to his cause to "protect" us from these awful comic books...

Thrilling Crime 49 slabbed.jpg

Thrilling Crime 49.jpg

Crime Smashers 1.jpg

Crime Smashers 1 SOTI panel.jpg

SOTI Crime Smashers 1.jpg

Jeepers, fifties, she wasn’t attacked and murdered or raped. She was croaked. 

Nice Thrilling Crime Cases by the way. A book I’ve always wanted but yet to own. One of Leonard’s best if I do say so myself. 

On 7/26/2021 at 5:22 PM, Black Bat said:

This cover has really grown on me as one of my faves of the run- its a Hollingsworth, the bold colors, the eye-guiding design, the glossy tight purple dress- is this the only purple dress on a PCH cover?  Just love it.  I keep buying them in lower grade with the plan of "cashing them in" when I find the right high grade... 

Screen Shot 2021-07-26 at 3.20.47 PM.png

Are we sure this art is by Hollingsworth? The woman sure looks like Kinstler to me.

On 8/1/2021 at 7:35 PM, Point Five said:

I've been chipping away at this zany title the last few years. Nine issues shown, and just had an offer accepted on a #7 which will bring me to ten. Five more to go!  :banana: 

An admirable pursuit for sure!  Never saw this series laid out, all kinds of good there!  You may be competing with me in the future...

Edited by Black Bat

On 8/3/2021 at 12:56 PM, Hap Hazard said:

I picked up this original art by Hollingsworth this year, no skulls but has pretty girls

wow that is AWEsOME! His female faces are so cool.  Thanks for posting.  do you have a date for this?  Also it looks like the kid in the bg is going after his fathers beard with a razor!  Also seems to be an arm missing...

Edited by Black Bat

On 8/3/2021 at 2:00 PM, Black Bat said:

Okay- I can't say for sure.  I've researched some on the net and can find no definitive source saying the Eerie 17 cover is by Hollingsworth (nor did I find any mention of Kinstler...).  However, Hollingsworth is my favorite skull artist (Alvin C. Hollingsworth), and I hoard his skull covers, so I'm pretty confident it's him.  I pulled a few books from my collection that I know are ACH and laid them side by side, and Eerie 17 certainly looks like like ACH, especially the skulls on Witchcraft 6 (top left), and the women on Witchcraft 4 (bottom center) and City of the Dead (upper and lower right).

Hollingsworth frequently signs his covers, and there is no sig on Eerie 17.  However, he didn't sign City of the Dead either, instead his sig appears on the first story splash page (the same story depicted on the cover).  So not having a sig on the cover does not necessarily mean ACH was not the artist.  Perhaps since the interior of Eerie 17 is an exact reprint of Eerie 3 (which does not have a ACH cover- Wally Wood), there was no opportunity for ACH to do an interior story, and thus provide a signature there. 

Does anybody out in Pre-Code world know for sure? 

Also, I learned an interesting fact, did you all know that ACH was black?  Most would agree that Matt Baker is the preeminent black golden age comic artist, but it's nice to know that there was another black golden age heavy hitter.  Want to know more about ACH's art?  Here's a link to get you started:

https://myauctionfinds.com/2013/08/14/a-c-hollingsworth-from-comic-books-to-paintings/

Screen Shot 2021-08-03 at 11.34.33 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-08-03 at 11.38.04 AM.png

The skull looks like Hollingsworth, but the other two figures look like Kinstler...strange...

Eerie 17 is at least inked by Kinstler as he was more of the Frank Godwin painterly inking school where he utilized lots of parallel lines without any particular purpose.  You don't this in any of the examples shown above for AC.

I'm guessing it was drawn by Kinstler as well as it's just better drawn than what Hollingsworth was doing at the time.  Kinstler was inspired by the Holllingsworth skulls from prior issues but he was a very talented artist who could easily imitate AC's style.

There's a small possibility that Hollingsworth pencilled it and Kinstler re-drew it, but the composition doesn't scream Hollingsworth to me, so my guess is that it is all Kinstler.