• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,238 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Robot Man said:

Finished off this great short run today. Is it Crime or is it Horror? 

Looking at the covers on your run you’ve posted, it seems even the publisher wasn’t quite sure either. On some they have Suspense Stories larger than the Law Breakers indicating a slant towards horror, then on others the LB gets larger emphasizing crime. I only have two issues of this title but I’d consider it a perfect blend of the two. 2c

1 hour ago, Jayman said:

Looking at the covers on your run you’ve posted, it seems even the publisher wasn’t quite sure either. On some they have Suspense Stories larger than the Law Breakers indicating a slant towards horror, then on others the LB gets larger emphasizing crime. I only have two issues of this title but I’d consider it a perfect blend of the two. 2c

Yep, it's a mix of crime/horror. Publisher most likely taking advantage of the popularity of both genres at the time. #10 started the current run of "Lawbreakers Suspense Stories" from "Lawbreakers" I believe and then after #16 they went to more horror and dropped "Lawbreakers" from the title and became "Strange Suspense Stories". Although #11 is already about as horrific as a cover can get.

Edited by Mr.Fantastic

1 hour ago, Hap Hazard said:

Your issue 10 looks nice, mines a little rougher. Congrats on the run whats next on the list?

lawbreakers suspense stories.JPG

My list is getting shorter and shorter. Got a few ECs, Avon, ACG and Star horror issues to go. Also need a Venus #17,18,19 and Chamber of Chills #19 which aren't likely to happen. 

1 hour ago, Mr.Fantastic said:

Yep, it's a mix of crime/horror. Publisher most likely taking advantage of the popularity of both genres at the time. #10 started the current run of "Lawbreakers Suspense Stories" from "Lawbreakers" I believe and then after #16 they went to more horror and dropped "Lawbreakers" from the title and became "Strange Suspense Stories". Although #11 is already about as horrific as a cover can get.

I would consider Strange Suspenstories to definitely be horror issues. They continue nicely after Lawbreakers.

comstrangesuspenstoriesrun2.jpg

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

My list is getting shorter and shorter. Got a few ECs, Avon, ACG and Star horror issues to go. Also need a Venus #17,18,19 and Chamber of Chills #19 which aren't likely to happen. 

I can relate, I'm thankful I bought most of my books in the 90's. I'm still chasing a few books but mostly feel like a spectator watching books go for what I consider crazy prices.( and in most cases not willing to pay.)

1 hour ago, Robot Man said:

I would consider Strange Suspenstories to definitely be horror issues. They continue nicely after Lawbreakers.

comstrangesuspenstoriesrun2.jpg

Yes, most definitely. I think Charlton bought out the title from Fawcett and discontinued "Lawbreakers" which was more of a crime/horror mix. However they started the numbering from the end of the Lawbreakers run.