• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,267 posts in this topic

On 8/3/2021 at 6:32 PM, adamstrange said:

Eerie 17 is at least inked by Kinstler as he was more of the Frank Godwin painterly inking school where he utilized lots of parallel lines without any particular purpose.  You don't this in any of the examples shown above for AC.

I'm guessing it was drawn by Kinstler as well as it's just better drawn than what Hollingsworth was doing at the time.  Kinstler was inspired by the Holllingsworth skulls from prior issues but he was a very talented artist who could easily imitate AC's style.

There's a small possibility that Hollingsworth pencilled it and Kinstler re-drew it, but the composition doesn't scream Hollingsworth to me, so my guess is that it is all Kinstler.

I like your point about the parallel lines- I'm not seeing that in any of my Hollingsworth stuff.  But that skulllllllll
And here's the only Kinstler cover i could find- after a brief search- that had a distressed woman and skulls.  Nothing definitive enough to solve the mystery.  White Princess of the Jungle though?  What about a black princess?  The whole jungle genre is racially problematic...  but that's an entirely different discussion.   

wpj 3.jpg

Edited by Black Bat

On 8/3/2021 at 6:32 PM, adamstrange said:

I'm guessing it was drawn by Kinstler as well as it's just better drawn than what Hollingsworth was doing at the time.  Kinstler was inspired by the Holllingsworth skulls from prior issues but he was a very talented artist who could easily imitate AC's style.

There's a small possibility that Hollingsworth pencilled it and Kinstler re-drew it, but the composition doesn't scream Hollingsworth to me, so my guess is that it is all Kinstler.

I don't agree at all. 

Look at the women's faces in the Kinstler art shown above, in White Princess of the Jungle, and Phantom Witch doctor.  Look at the skulls in both Eerie issues, Night of Mystery and Diary of Horror. 

ACH had a distinctive style. I do feel that Kinstler was the better artist, but his work is distinctly different.  And why would he be employed to imitate an artist not up to his level?

On 8/6/2021 at 5:05 PM, Black Bat said:

Nice buy on eBay- till now I’ve had to appreciate this cover from afar. Good stories too. Haven’t read this one yet, hard to tell who’s side that croc is on. Looks like a chimp arm hanging from its mouth. 

F0687459-F6AC-4AC8-8315-EDFF7B775CB6.jpeg

67D4A634-CEBC-4262-9C0C-0CE30D0D7910.jpeg

That issue is a good read, congrats!

Question for you Robot Man, did Wood make any comments about the books when he signed them? Some key books with his work Mad etc.

Just curious I know he was pretty sick by this time.

On 8/8/2021 at 8:34 AM, Robot Man said:

So nice. But you are just scratching the surface. Crack it out. It's almost all Wood art inside as well. 

I was very lucky to meet Mr Wood just months before he passed away at the SDCC. I had him sign my MAD #1 as well as a few other books including this one. 

commaskfumanchu2.jpg