• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
42 42

22,452 posts in this topic

On 10/9/2024 at 1:26 AM, Professor K said:

2.0? 2.No.

It'll do for now. 

1953-5 Weird Tales of the Future 7.jpg

1953-5 Weird Tales of the Future 7 close.jpg

Great pickup! I really wish I'd snagged this one when it was still affordable... somehow it didn't grab me at the time, but it sure does now. I've got the other big covers in the run, but this one has eluded me.  :taptaptap: 

On 10/9/2024 at 8:20 PM, Point Five said:

Great pickup! I really wish I'd snagged this one when it was still affordable... somehow it didn't grab me at the time, but it sure does now. I've got the other big covers in the run, but this one has eluded me.  :taptaptap: 

Thanks! Yeah it's elusive alright. I think I got this for an ok price but the 5.5 went for 9k, Only think I don't like about the cover is the cyclops guy, looks too cartoony compared to the other creeps. WTOTF 2 is just as cool if not cooler. 8 is the weirdest. Nice 6.5 #8 just sold a few days back. 

On 10/9/2024 at 8:20 PM, Point Five said:

I'm a big Baily horror fan... In addition to his great illustrations, the coloring that was done on many of these covers is superb.  WTOTF 7 is a great example... and another one is Weird Mysteries 2, which I think is really underrated. One of the most beautiful covers of the pre-code era.

Edited by *paull*

On 10/10/2024 at 3:40 PM, *paull* said:

I'm a big Baily horror fan... In addition to his great illustrations, the coloring that was done on many of these covers is superb.  WTOTF 7 is a great example... and another one is Weird Mysteries 2, which I think is really underrated. One of the most beautiful covers of the pre-code era.

WM #2 is actually another one that haunts me. I passed on the sweeeetest copy back when they were affordable and common as dirt. Alas, no more!

On 10/10/2024 at 7:30 PM, Jayman said:

Two Baily covers I love seeing side by side!

Radiant Love # 6 Weird Mysteries # 12.jpg

Before and after?  Lots of pre code horror and crime covers have a humorous element but that WM is just dark, Maybe the darkest of them all. 

On 10/10/2024 at 6:30 PM, Jayman said:

Holy cow, they must've hugged forever.  Post of the year. LOL!  That being said, there is a sort of sick romance genre vibe to that Weird Mysteries cover.  Till death do us part?  Nah.  Awesome, but crazy cover.

Edited by Telegan

On 10/10/2024 at 3:55 PM, Point Five said:

WM #2 is actually another one that haunts me. I passed on the sweeeetest copy back when they were affordable and common as dirt. Alas, no more!

Chamber of Chills 19 is my “White Whale”…:sorry:

I was smart and lucky enough to pick up a nice copy of WM 2 MANY years ago from John McLaughlin at one of his Book Sail $5. blowout sales. Hard to believe now, but back in those days, PCH (other than ECs) were pretty much unwanted. 

On 10/10/2024 at 4:30 PM, Jayman said:

I was lucky enough to pick up a lower grade copy of WM 12 a few years ago for a somewhat reasonable price because I thought the cover was too cool to pass up.  I had seen the RL 6 before, but until seeing them side-by-side like this, didn't make the connection.

RL 6 is now on the 'must have' list!  Love it!

(Bailey could get really out there.  A lot of his stuff makes me wonder if he was on drugs, or just seriously demented - especially so with the WM covers)

On 10/12/2024 at 9:09 PM, kent allard said:

I was lucky enough to pick up a lower grade copy of WM 12 a few years ago for a somewhat reasonable price because I thought the cover was too cool to pass up.  I had seen the RL 6 before, but until seeing them side-by-side like this, didn't make the connection.

RL 6 is now on the 'must have' list!  Love it!

(Bailey could get really out there.  A lot of his stuff makes me wonder if he was on drugs, or just seriously demented - especially so with the WM covers)

Bailey always went to the dark side. His early More Fun work on the Spectre was remarkable. 

On 10/13/2024 at 7:39 AM, Robot Man said:

Bailey always went to the dark side. His early More Fun work on the Spectre was remarkable. 

Agreed!  After the Shadow, the Spectre is perhaps my favorite character.  I have @CentaurMan's old MF #54 that I treasure.  The cover is just fabulous and in my opinion one of the all-time greats.

The Spectre was dark and there were hints of what was to come, but his PCH was seriously off the chain.

As a connoisseur of PCH, who else came close to his bizarre brilliance?  Post-PCH one could argue Wrightson, who was a master of mood.  Or Aparo's Spectre run, which was ghoulish and arresting.  But in my opinion, Bailey owned bizarre - prove me wrong :sumo:  ...  I double dare you  :)

Edited by kent allard