• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,262 posts in this topic

Awesome books being posted here lately. I haven't been buying too much since moving so it's cool seeing some boardies picking up nice GA horror. That AITU #1 is one of my favorites. Congrats on scoring such a sweet copy. The interior stories on this book are very well done and creepy too.

Superior's printing did not in any way live up to their name, being even worse than Charlton's.

I love the eyeballs on that Strange Mysteries! They did something similar on an earlier issue.

JIF4.jpg

Black Cat has one of the best logo of all PCH series (IMO) and I like how they played a lot with it with coloring. Here it is with this gruesome cover to # 51.

In that lot came the HoM, all pinked out, but at least it's the "good Moreira" who showed up. Here's a guy who could be terribly inconsistent in the quality of his output, much like Jay Scott Pike or Gustavson and others I forget right now. These guys had a tendency to be all over the place in terms of quality.

115894.jpg.33154aa0dc2f38946546626f6aacd34e.jpg

115895.jpg.a1b68a9396c9a66f7b04ecde5236fbf5.jpg

Black Cat has one of the best logo of all PCH series (IMO) and I like how they played a lot with it with coloring. Here it is with this gruesome cover to # 51.

That logo design is reminiscent of Weird Mysteries but your comment did make me stop and think about what logos I liked better and the answer was very, very few. Tales from the Crypt might be my favorite and Beware Terror Tales is also strong but I wish there were more like Black Cat.

The absolute best horror logos to me are Bill Everett's in his Venus and other Atlas horror stories but those were not used for covers.

:gossip: Nice pickups.

:gossip: Nice pickups.

The funny part is that the one book I was after in the lot is the one below ... with one of the most zzz PCH covers I can recall, and, oh boy, did Atlas use some third rate talent at times in their horror books. I always have visions of Everett, Heath, Reinman, etc ... and end up with Walton on a bad day, a spent Winiarski and a tired Eadeh or even worse: Marty Elkin, Al Luster or Manny Banks! I mean who are these guys ??? ... though I'll admit I do like Manny Banks's work, what little I have seen.

115912.jpg.d7cc4d7fdac7a5db8561f064f4e1da20.jpg