• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,281 posts in this topic

hm I don't recall having posted any acquisitions in this thread, so it's about time that I correct that oversight. My most recent pre-code purchase was at SDCC and to acquire this prize I risked life and limb ...not to mention a nip or two at my wallet.

Ladies and gentlemen, this heroic saga is a gut-wrenching story of calculated risk, daring and triumph. Prepare yourselves, and make sure that the kiddies are out of the room, as this tale would most certainly cause them nightmares.

It seems like only yesterday, ...well, OK, a couple of months ago anyway... there I was, three days in and working my way through the dense jungle of ComicCon's ever-moving wild kingdom. Without a machete or day old burrito to assist me somehow I managed to cut a swath through the human forest. Tough going for sure, but I was determined to soldier on and find whatever nugget of gold lay hidden in the stacks of mid-grade drek that worked it's way to the surface of some con-weary dealer's short-box.

And then, when I least expected it, Eureka! I hit pay-dirt! There amidst a cluster of lesser books was a handsome copy of an early Marvel Tales, ...and it was in the lair of an apparently docile creature wearing an innocuous bat hoody. Luck seemed to be with me, I thought. Heck, maybe I could even smooth talk this genial creature down to cover price! :/

But friends, little did I know that I'd entered the realm of the dread Gator (cue Jaws music)! :fear:

As I pulled the book from it's resting place I noticed teeth gleaming out of the corner of my eye; it was like a peroxide dental strip gone wrong, or maybe Gator's flashy grin came from the Coke-Zero enamel polish he consumed. Whatever the cause, that sparkling smile displayed more guile than Bedrock sitting on a full house in a Texas hold-em game. Yes, dear friends, I was afraid, very afraid, and in order to survive this encounter my resolve would be severely tested. smiley-taunt015.gif

To obtain this prized collectable I would have to employ every ounce of my own cunning, learned through countless expeditions to exotic conventions far and wide. Safari, you still with me?

You're probably wondering how I managed to survive this hair raising ordeal to walk away intact with my pre-code prize? Well, I used the old decoy trick. (thumbs u

You see, I distracted the cagey snapper with rectangular pieces of green paper covered with fancy lettering and portraits! Cautiously, book in hand, I backed slowly away into the dense fan jungle. When I looked back Gator was still fascinated with the green paper, counting pictures and adding numbers.

And there you have it folks, I've shared my saga and will now post the incredible wildlife photography that bears it out. You may have seen this now famous image once or twice before. However, I believe it's a first for this thread (given the bat, peacockish shirt and colorful cave surroundings our reps should be entertaining offers from National Geographic any day now)! :acclaim:

IMG_0269.jpg

Dedicated to the memory of Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom and Gator's B-Day (10/08/11)!!!

Edited by DavidMerryweather

Welcome back to the world of pre-code collecting! :headbang:

I was talking with Mark Haspel about a year ago and he asked if I still had this book. I think it was the first book I purchased from him back when he was a dealer and remembered it because it was so nice and he was certain I would buy it.

WeirdTerrorr6.jpg

:grin:

I really dig the complete run of Weird Terror, they all have fantastic cover's.. (thumbs u

Don Heck got his career off to a great start with his work for Comic Media. From wiki:

Heck's first known credited work is on the horror comics Weird Terror, Horrific, Terrific, and Danger, and the violent Western series Death Valley, for publisher Comic Media beginning in 1952.

Many of his covers stand out in the Gerber Guide because they are based on a "big head" design, but there is something to like in most every one once you see them full size.

WeirdTerror8.jpg

No green line of death on that scan
About time you cleaned your monitor. :baiting:

Each of the little vignettes on the Danger cover is superb. I don't think I've read any of those issues but I assume the interior is similarly superior?

No green line of death on that scan
About time you cleaned your monitor. :baiting:

Each of the little vignettes on the Danger cover is superb. I don't think I've read any of those issues but I assume the interior is similarly superior?

Well, I'd have to pull the book out to be certain but, no, the interior is not superior. The main attraction for me in those Dangers is the one PAM (Morisi) story in each issue and occasionally the Heck job. If memory serves, in this one book, Heck gets way too "foldy", inventing creases and folds where they don't belong, even on characters' skin. Think George Wunder on Terry immediately post Caniff, without as a crisp inking as Wunder had. It doesn't make for the best Heck. He did better on the cover, with a cleaner style.

Here's a Maneely classic I picked up today -

116344.jpg.51325b2553200c102d6dfc26e0ec0453.jpg