• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,263 posts in this topic

For pre-code fans, I have a couple of classics on Feebay right now ( Black Cat 50, Chamber of Chills 23 )...if this is frowned upon, please let me know and I will delete...

http://www.ebay.com/sch/champ_kind/m.html?item=290639764573&sspagename=STRK%3AMESELX%3AIT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649&_trksid=p4340.l2562

You should have just PMed me about the CoC 23. I could have saved you the ebay fees.

For pre-code fans, I have a couple of classics on Feebay right now ( Black Cat 50, Chamber of Chills 23 )...if this is frowned upon, please let me know and I will delete...

http://www.ebay.com/sch/champ_kind/m.html?item=290639764573&sspagename=STRK%3AMESELX%3AIT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649&_trksid=p4340.l2562

You should have just PMed me about the CoC 23. I could have saved you the ebay fees.

Didn't we talk about my extra copy(s) before Cheetah? I think I was asking to trade you for your COC 18?

Anybody watch the Abell auctions? All I can say is HOLY SH#& !!!

There were about 20 or so comic lots, each containing from 1 to 10 pre-code horror titles, with the average grade being VG. I settled on a few of them to place bids on, writing down my estimated top bids well in advance so I wouldn't get caught up in irrational bidding.

Without fail, ALL of my estimations were exceeded by at least 2 to 3 times the value.

One lot I had pegged at being worth about $900, so I figured I'd throw a $1,200 bid at it and hopefully win. Nope -- it went for somewhere in the realm of $3,500.

My jaw was dropping the entire time, and I pretty much set the mouse aside and watched the spectacle. There were a few lots where eventually I had to say, "Who are the EEDIOTS bidding on this stuff?" Most of the bidding was floor bidding and I think they must have been a bunch of novices who recently read the headlines about Action #1 selling for $2 million and figured no price was too steep. The only other explanation would be if the comics were severely undergraded and bidders realized they were looking at VF-range copies. Almost all the wins were floor bidders, with maybe only 1 or 2 being internet bids.

At one point, there was a lot of 3 comics that I figured might be worth about $50 each for a $150 total. It sold for more like $850. It's almost as if everybody bidding just figured each comic was worth $300 plus and multiplied from there.

Some highlights of the auction were nice copies of Haunt of Fear #15 (#1), several Basil Wolverton issues of Weird Tales of the Future, several copies of Mister Mystery, Chilling Tales, Voodoo, Haunted Thrills, Menace, Spellbound, Journey Into Mystery, Strange Mysteries, several issues of Weird Mysteries, the LB Cole spider cover of Startling Terror Tales #11, Lawbreakers Suspense Stories #11 (where the man has cut off all the tongues), The Thing, Beware Terror Tales, Horrific, Tales of Suspense, Spitfire #1, Kid Komics #9, and Daredevil #1 (Marvel).

The auction made me want to sell off all my comics under similar circumstances. I don't know what Kool Aid these people were drinking but I hope to find the recipe and serve it to people at an auction where my stuff is up for bidding.

Doohickamabob, it sure sounds like a nifty case of auction fever; in a different thread Paull and drbanner have been looking on pch as on the decline overall, especially in the next 5-10 years. Not sure I agree except there may be additional bifurcation between average examples and classic covers. Who knows?

Doohickamabob, it sure sounds like a nifty case of auction fever; in a different thread Paull and drbanner have been looking on pch as on the decline overall, especially in the next 5-10 years. Not sure I agree except there may be additional bifurcation between average examples and classic covers. Who knows?

There's already a major divide between average PCH books and classic covers and I think it will grow, and not because the classic covers will be increasing, but because the average books will decline. I look at prices at shows and on comic retailer websites and just shake my head in disbelief. No one is paying those prices.

I like comics a lot and don't use them as an investment, but if you were investing five years ago and chose PCH classic covers over Action 1-10, pre-Robin Tecs, and a couple dozen other sure-bet GA books, you'd be slapping yourself in the face! ;)

Paull, can you point me to some examples of the outrageous prices you mention for pch? I have seen one guy with a perpetual high price on a mister mystery 1 on eBay. Any others come to mind?

Without singling anyone out, I'd say that all the major non-eBay dealers have their average (non-classic-cover) PCH issues priced at least 25% too high.

I've followed Pre-Code Horror for, I guess about 15 years.

To me it's leveled off except for ANYTHING Fine or better and of course, those wonderful Classic Covers.

I'd love to get a Weird Mysteries 4 and 5...in FINE or better.

Those two books in FINE or better would be very tough. I've seen maybe one of each in the past ten years that graded that high.

Paull, thanks for your thoughts! Have to agree with you on the difficulty of WM 4 and 5 in Fine or better. This may be time for me to dredge up feelings of regret over the nice, VF-ish copy of WM 5 Ed Jaster had 8+ years ago on eBay that I missed, that went for a song...

What was the final price?