• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,270 posts in this topic

Beautiful copy showcase - one of my favorite pre-code books - personally I still get more of thrill seeing HG copies of harder-to-find pre-code books, than most GA super-hero books. thumbsup2.gif

I just checked the completed auctions - I think you got a pretty square deal - I wouldn't expect a VF copy to sell for less than $1500, and could easily go for more, especially if slabbed - but you probably know that already wink.gif

I was more surprised at a G/VG copy of LSS #15 selling for $365 - I would have figured that was worth more like $150 tops. confused-smiley-013.gif Using the OS pricing ratios that would make a VF copy worth close to the #11 - but of course with ebay auctions you can't really apply OS ratios on high demand books - I wouldn't be any more surprised to see a VF #15 sell for closer to $365 if it popped up for sale in the next year..

With thanks to johnenock for pointing me to the Ken Shannon’s I picked up this copy. Now to be honest I have to say that since I’m a horror fan, the cover was the primary attraction to this book as I’m not into detective/crime books that much. I really thought that the cover story alone would be of interest to me. How wrong I was! I was amazed how well written all the stories were. From believable, realistic plots and era dialogue to Ken Shannon not being the infallible hero making mistakes and paying for them with some chin music or a bullet. The Reed Crandall cover is terrific but the quality stories were the real treat.

I am now an official Ken Shannon fan! sumo.gif

1731202-KenShannon%237.jpg

Here are some panels from the first story “The Ugliest Man in the World”

1731202-KenShannon%237Panel1.jpg

1731202-KenShannon%237Panel2.jpg1731202-KenShannon%237Panel3.jpg1731202-KenShannon%237Panel4.jpg

Angles O’Day also gets himself into a pickle by going to catch crooks thinking they shot and killed a man (really just a car backfiring and the man tripped). O’Day rounds the crooks up and finds they didn’t shoot the man and regretfully has to let them go for lack of any criminal evidence. The bad guys win!!! The story never indicates what the crooks were up to other than letting you know they were crooks. Great stuff!

1731202-KenShannon%237Panel5.jpg

589a8d1867d60_1731202-KenShannon7Panel5.jpg.f071d92a4c7934b164b0d70332cbaaf9.jpg

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Also Ken Shannon looks like he was modeled from a young Ronald Reagan!

1731354-ronald_reagan.jpg

PS: I love that panel where the ugly man tells Shannon he's not beautiful! 27_laughing.gif

1731354-ronald_reagan.jpg.767297bae19305a101a8ad8930821087.jpg

Sure, and you had to find a Dee Dee look alike too! poke2.gif

confused.gif

Edit: I see Vera is not Ken's Gal Friday but Dee Dee is. I didn't try to go for the double but I'll take it acclaim.gif

Yeah,Vera Cruz'ed out da window! tongue.gif

Reed Crandall and Jack Cole.

Hard combo to beat, Jayman! thumbsup2.gif

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Damn you all - I don't need another title to start collecting sumo.gif

know the feeling; i decided i liked the painted covers on some ziff-davis titles, and these two came in today. gotta have the whole, short run now.

wt4.jpg

wt5.jpg

Nothing wrong with Avons or Z-D painted covers! cloud9.gif

Well it’s yet another board anniversary for me (3) years now!

My tradition has been to treat myself to and post a coveted book I’ve wanted.

This being my 3rd year on the boards I figured I’d post a couple of books I’m really happy with!

At some point I would like to share some of the interior pics to the individual issues as they are quite stunning, but for now just the covers.

1752210-BlackMagic%2328.jpg

1752210-DarkMysteries%2311.jpg

589a8d186fdad_1752210-DarkMysteries11.jpg.b590e1337537ee483abfc33934d12736.jpg