• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,266 posts in this topic

Scott,

Nice copy there and I agree the HG issues can be quite expensive.

I myself have come to accept 6.5 and up as a grade quality (and price range) I can live with! thumbsup2.gif

My recent addition. Love the viewpoint of this cover though I wish it were issue #15

1829768-TombofTerror%2316CGC7.5.jpg

Wow! The colors on that cover are stricking, especially the purple. Beautiful! hail.gif

Angelo

Scott,

Nice copy there and I agree the HG issues can be quite expensive.

I myself have come to accept 6.5 and up as a grade quality (and price range) I can live with! thumbsup2.gif

My recent addition. Love the viewpoint of this cover though I wish it were issue #15

1829768-TombofTerror%2316CGC7.5.jpg

Thanks Jay...nice copy yourself. I totally agree about the grade/price acceptance issue. If it is a nice looking copy, 4.5-8.0 will do just fine to me in the pre-code horror genre. Cream pages are also acceptable.

I picked up a 9.2 copy of a nice Harvey a few months ago that I plan to scan soon. It is just a small corner away from 9.4 and I got it for less than guide. Those are the books I like the most. wink.gif

Scott

Thanks guys! hi.gif

Also regarding collecting pre-code runs:

A ways back I decided to start collecting pre-code horror by going a run at a time.

I was going to focus on Harvey's Chamber of Chills...

Well 2 major points stopped me from doing that rather quickly.

1. Some of the covers were less than appealing to me.

2. Too many classic covers or issues with great stories out there to stick to one title!

I've always liked the Harvey horror covers because of the coloring. They tended to use alot of the cool rainbow color wash effect against black backgrounds. The subject matter was great, but always made more effective by the use of color.

I've always liked the Harvey horror covers because of the coloring. They tended to use alot of the cool rainbow color wash effect against black backgrounds. The subject matter was great, but always made more effective by the use of color.

Fully agree regarding the use of color. Even this dark cover has every color of the rainbow in there if you look close enough! thumbsup2.gif

1007463-TombofTerror%2312.jpg

Nice pick-ups Andy! thumbsup2.gif

That Weird Mysteries was a steal! That Ghosts issue is one of my favorites with that "knife to the head" cover!

I will be getting my first ever Fiction House book in soon! gossip.gif

893whatthe.gif

Wow, I am surprised it took this long!

Then again, I don't have any Atlas yet either. shy.gif

I wait till all the board members who collect 'em get their copies first then pounce on a nice copy when it comes along!

Cuts out the competition! poke2.gifgrin.gif

893whatthe.gif

I wait till all the board members who collect 'em get their copies first then pounce on a nice copy when it comes along!

I could never wait that long for my fix. Need it now!

893whatthe.gif

I could never wait that long for my fix. Need it now!

I look at it this way: There's so much I like to collect, I zig when others zag! tongue.gif

893censored-thumb.gif to whomever outbid me on the Blue Bolt 105 and 115 in the last Heritage weekly, but I got these as consolation prizes, so I am not too sad.

Not me...promise. Great consolation prizes though Andy. Besides, there is a nice Clink auction ending in just 12 short days 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

893censored-thumb.gif to whomever outbid me on the Blue Bolt 105 and 115 in the last Heritage weekly, but I got these as consolation prizes, so I am not too sad.

Not me...promise. Great consolation prizes though Andy. Besides, there is a nice Clink auction ending in just 12 short days 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

BTW: Not me either although I did recently aquire a BBW #115 shy.gif