• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,222 posts in this topic

I got my first pre code today, not in the best condition but it's a start.

160369.jpg

Good for you! ACG's are relatively inexpensive AFA PCH, and always have at least one good story in each. This issue is no exception.

I am grateful to have found this book...

Scan_zpsfyxvuyen.jpg

Excellent! The Wolverton story is top notch!

From my experience, most PCH fare offer at least one good story, i.e., not a happy ending.

I would say Horrific, Mister Mystery, and the three E.C. horror books just off the top of my head would give the best bang for the buck, but there are many many titles to sample.

Thanks everyone, I have already bid on a few more on eBay, this stuff is addictive! What's the best series story wise?

For Atlas I would recommend Menace for the best mix of artists and stories (although I love them all!). Standard has some good stuff with Adventures into Darkness and The Unseen. As fifties said, you can't go wrong with any of the EC titles either. Also check out Fawcett, such This Mag is Haunted and Worlds of Fear. They have some great covers and art with some stories that go up to 10 pages and are quite involved.

ThisMagazineIsHaunted13_zps0611a459.jpg

WorldsOfFear9.jpg

Thanks everyone, I have already bid on a few more on eBay, this stuff is addictive! What's the best series story wise?

Anything from Superior followed by Ajax/Farrell. The art is crude and the stories weird but the combination makes for the best reading. I have several friends who are longtime PCH collectors and all of them independently ended up enjoying these the most, even over EC.

That said, there are hundreds of cool PCH horror comics with good interiors.

Production from the Iger studios to include Ajax-Farrell (Fantastic Fears, Haunted Thrills, Strange Fantasy, and Voodoo), Superior (Journey Into Fear, Mysteries Weird and Strange, and Strange Mysteries) you definitely won't go wrong with, if you like supernatural stuff.

As with Atlas titles however, getting above reader grade copies can be a challenge.

For skeleton covers and gore, Story Comics (Dark Mysteries and Mysterious Adventures).

Avon put out Eerie and Witchcraft, both making excellent reading.

That's just a start, eh eh.

mysteriousadventures03.jpg

Am I the last one to connect the name on the headstone Jon Dee to John Dee, the occultist? Would make sense he would be rising from the grave.

Wikipedia: "John Dee (13 July 1527 – 1608 or 1609) was an English mathematician, astronomer, astrologer, occult philosopher, imperialist,[5] and adviser to Queen Elizabeth I. He devoted much of his life to the study of alchemy, divination, and Hermetic philosophy."

mysteriousadventures03.jpg

Am I the last one to connect the name on the headstone Jon Dee to John Dee, the occultist? Would make sense he would be rising from the grave.

Wikipedia: "John Dee (13 July 1527 – 1608 or 1609) was an English mathematician, astronomer, astrologer, occult philosopher, imperialist,[5] and adviser to Queen Elizabeth I. He devoted much of his life to the study of alchemy, divination, and Hermetic philosophy."

I doubt the same individual, given he was British and died before the first Pilgrim landing in 1620 in North America (assuming of course, that the graveyard pictured is an American one).

And of course the headstone is dated 1795.

What is the best pre-code horror witch tale?

One of my favorites is from this issue.

StrangeStoriesFromAnotherWorld2_zps63d6ce0f.jpg

The story "Death's Beggar" tells the tale of a man that makes a deal with a witch to live forever. He soon discovers this is not a good idea! :eek:

DeathsBeggarpg9_zps1dbb0c51.jpg

What is the best pre-code horror witch tale?

One of my favorites is from this issue.

StrangeStoriesFromAnotherWorld2_zps63d6ce0f.jpg

The story "Death's Beggar" tells the tale of a man that makes a deal with a witch to live forever. He soon discovers this is not a good idea! :eek:

DeathsBeggarpg9_zps1dbb0c51.jpg

Oh yeah. I love this one too! I remember Shiverbones first posting it years ago.

Nice bedtime story for the kids.

Also, has this ever happened to any of you?

About a year 1/2 or so ago around Halloween which is the time of year I really start getting into these stories with extra enthusiasm, I spent a solid hour reading a bunch of these stories and the Zombie precode reprint book from Yoe Books and went right to bed. It actually gave me nightmares. Real ones that felt and looked just like one of these Precode stories. Then again, I often go around looking at things as if they were drawings in real life.

Has anyone else on here had Precode horror comics cause actual nightmare dreams? :popcorn: