• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,222 posts in this topic

Oddly enough, the only nightmares I've ever gotten from PCH books in my dreams involve me, in the real world, set sometime say in 1962-1970 (wasn't even born yet), not getting to a suburban curb outside a quiet house in time ahead of the garbage truck where "a bunch of old books" carefully kept in a trunk since 1942, last added to in 1956 when the code came about, are being thrown away. Pretty much how I imagine the Northfords' situation was. :)

Has anyone else on here had Precode horror comics cause actual nightmare dreams? :popcorn:

Not with precode but the cover story (T-Rex) gave me nightmares off and on for a decade after I read it as a kid.

http://www.comics.org/issue/27376/cover/4/

Yup, I have a vivid memory of a situation that occurred around 1951 or '52, when I was 6-7 years old. I had been with my ma at the news stand that day, and had browsed the comic book covers while she was looking at magazines.

That night after I had gone to bed, I woke up screaming, having had a nightmare of a hand coming down from the corner of the ceiling and grabbing me. My folks came running in, and I was screaming, "the hand, the hand", and then told them the rest.

My mother commented on my having seen those awful comic books as the cause, of which I am sure she was correct. Musta been an Atlas cover, eh eh!

Yup, I have a vivid memory of a situation that occurred around 1951 or '52, when I was 6-7 years old. I had been with my ma at the news stand that day, and had browsed the comic book covers while she was looking at magazines.

That night after I had gone to bed, I woke up screaming, having had a nightmare of a hand coming down from the corner of the ceiling and grabbing me. My folks came running in, and I was screaming, "the hand, the hand", and then told them the rest.

My mother commented on my having seen those awful comic books as the cause, of which I am sure she was correct. Musta been an Atlas cover, eh eh!

Marvel Tales 130??

Marvel Tales 130??

JIM #4? hm

Has anyone else on here had Precode horror comics cause actual nightmare dreams? :popcorn:

Not with precode but the cover story (T-Rex) gave me nightmares off and on for a decade after I read it as a kid.

Awesome! I just got a high grade copy of this book

Great stories everyone.

Fifties, How about those Ace comics? A bunch of those had giant hands on them... Hand Of Fate? I think this could be a new precode cover genre....

We've already got:

-Decapitation covers

-Headlights covers

-Injury to Eye covers

-GGA horror covers

-Shrunken Head covers

-Drowning/Underwater covers

-Skeleton covers

-Bad Precode Teeth covers

And now......because of Fifties excellent story....

-Giant Creepy hand covers.

Let's see em!

Marvel Tales 130??

Nope, that had a cover date of 1955; too late.

JIM #4? hm

No, that was just a hand on a table.

Fifties, How about those Ace comics? A bunch of those had giant hands on them... Hand Of Fate?

Very possible, Darth. Although #18 came out in June of '53, which seems later than my recollection, it could have been the one.

http:0.jpg

Great stories everyone.

Fifties, How about those Ace comics? A bunch of those had giant hands on them... Hand Of Fate? I think this could be a new precode cover genre....

We've already got:

-Decapitation covers

-Headlights covers

-Injury to Eye covers

-GGA horror covers

-Shrunken Head covers

-Skeleton covers

Let's see em!

:cloud9:

Showed this before, but fits the 'Giant Hand' motiff....AND, it's an Ace!

Beyond%2020_zpspjckkkzg.jpg

One of my faves by Lou Cameron! He could really do it all -- decided the money was more in writing for him vs. art, and became a top writer for paperback western/mystery books, did over 300 of those and won a "golden spur." :)

Great stories everyone.

We've already got:

-Decapitation covers

-Headlights covers

-Injury to Eye covers

-GGA horror covers

-Shrunken Head covers

-Skeleton covers

Let's see em!

commarveltales130_zpsszdli9sj.jpg

commysteriesweirdstrange3_zpsjjhxvsew.jpg

What is the best pre-code horror witch tale?

One of my favorites is from this issue.

StrangeStoriesFromAnotherWorld2_zps63d6ce0f.jpg

The story "Death's Beggar" tells the tale of a man that makes a deal with a witch to live forever. He soon discovers this is not a good idea! :eek:

DeathsBeggarpg9_zps1dbb0c51.jpg

Oh yeah. I love this one too! I remember Shiverbones first posting it years ago.

Nice bedtime story for the kids.

Also, has this ever happened to any of you?

About a year 1/2 or so ago around Halloween which is the time of year I really start getting into these stories with extra enthusiasm, I spent a solid hour reading a bunch of these stories and the Zombie precode reprint book from Yoe Books and went right to bed. It actually gave me nightmares. Real ones that felt and looked just like one of these Precode stories. Then again, I often go around looking at things as if they were drawings in real life.

Oh yeah. When I was a kid, my uncle gave me a little pile of his EC's the one that got me and still does is the last story in Shock Suspenstories #9. The one about the escaped con with the dead cop chained to his arm. That last panel with the vulture kept me up several times. That and Haunt of Fear #19. The baseball story. Wertham was right...