• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Pre-Code Purchases
41 41

22,284 posts in this topic

That's a Heck of a cover Andy! :insane::cloud9:

Don was certainly on fire when he drew that cover.

I love the point of view on this cover. Deslabbed 5.0 from the last Heritage weekly, got it for under guide, which surprised me.

weirdterror7.jpg

Andy, you got this for under guide because I backed off bidding any higher than I already had after we discussed which books we were going after. :gossip:

It was on my short list but would have given up alot to keep such nice fellers as yourself from bidding on the Venus. Thanks....and you are welcome. (thumbs u

:baiting:

Scott

Not to mention it was on my short list too, but decided to go after the 9.4 COC book this time. There was simply too much good precode material for me to go "wild", so I just concentrated on a book or two.

Wow, that Weird Tales of the Future went for over $1,500 for a 9.0.

So what do you think is the current state of the pre-code horror market?

It seems to me like it's still possible to buy good books at or below guide. I'm a little surprised that the pre-code market hasn't benefited from the rapid gains seen in 30s and 40s material. In my opinion, the top pre-code horror covers still have really soft prices. Books like Tomb of Terror #15, Black Cat Mystery #50, Weird Mysteries #5, Weird Mysteries #6, Mister Mystery #12, Haunted Thrills #5, etc. have been flat at best over the past few years.

It seems obvious that at _some point_ the horror market will rebound. But will we see another horror boom like the one that occured when the Gerber books were released? If the market rebounds, when will it happen and what will it take? Will it take massive gains in GA superhero books that put them out of reach of a large subset of GA collectors and pushes them into the atomic age and pre-code horror?

Edited by paull

That's exactly what I mean though. The MM is so raw an image, it's like a slap in the face! Crude and to the point. Great for horror btw. I personally am not crazy about this cover. I know I'll get a :screwy: for saying it to but it's how I feel, not one of my top covers.

Not from me...it's a good cover for shock value but the MM doesn't do much for me :shrug:

Horror from me is more about atmosphere and effect (like the Weird Terror furnace cover) than the actual act of brutality itself. It's what you don't see that makes for a better cover imho. You could say I've been classically trained by the Comics Code Authority.

So what do you think is the current state of the pre-code horror market?

In general, horror across the board is down. Across ages.

To be perfectly honest, my head has been stuck up Bronze Age Horror's butt for so long, I haven't been noticing any trends in precode. All I know is that the current prices I'm seeing for high grade precode (except for the "keys") is a level that I'm comfortable with, and as long as it continues, I'll be a potential buyer in the market. When and if it rises, I won't. There are some BA books I'd actually pay more for than some of the precodes...I am definitely more of a picky buyer when it comes to precode.

I don't even think the "key" pre-code books are out of line right now. In fact, I think they've been flat for years, whereas in Timely and DC keys, we've seen major increases.

I should leave Black Cat Mystery #50 out of that statement though.... someone just paid $418 for a CGC 3.5 copy on Heritage, as an example. However, even though this book has seen increases, they are nowhere near as big as key hero books

Edited by paull

GA horror is pretty flat right now, which is why I am buying like crazy. There is no reason that I should be able to get a great book like Weird Mysteries 2 in decent shape (5.5) for that cheap. It has a fantastic cover by one of the best horror artists, and a classic interior by one of the best sci-fi artists. Baily and Wolverton and I still get it for under guide? This wasn't a lone incident either. The Weird Terror 7 for $90 was a bargain as well. Another classic for under guide. I can go on and on...

The big boys still demand multiples, with Fight Against Crime 20 leading the pack (untouchable for less than 5-10x guide). These pre-codes demand over guide almost every time, in virtually any condition....

Fight Against Crime 20

Crime Suspenstories 22

Black Cat 50

Tomb of Terror 15

Mister Mystery 12

Weird Mysteries 5

Chamber of Chills 23

Vault of Horror 30

Blue Bolt 105, 115

Mask 1, 2

Underworld Crime 7

Anyone care to add some more?

Thanks but you may like this one better...

I'm crackin' this baby out!

LawbreakersSuspenseStories12CGC5.5.jpg

I was real tempted on this one. Pure evil I tell you, pure evil! :devil:

I think the LCS has this book.. OR it did. Nice condition if I recall. I'll have to call them on it.

GA horror is pretty flat right now, which is why I am buying like crazy. There is no reason that I should be able to get a great book like Weird Mysteries 2 in decent shape (5.5) for that cheap. It has a fantastic cover by one of the best horror artists, and a classic interior by one of the best sci-fi artists. Baily and Wolverton and I still get it for under guide? This wasn't a lone incident either. The Weird Terror 7 for $90 was a bargain as well. Another classic for under guide. I can go on and on...

The big boys still demand multiples, with Fight Against Crime 20 leading the pack (untouchable for less than 5-10x guide). These pre-codes demand over guide almost every time, in virtually any condition....

Fight Against Crime 20

Crime Suspenstories 22

Black Cat 50

Tomb of Terror 15

Mister Mystery 12

Weird Mysteries 5

Chamber of Chills 23

Vault of Horror 30

Blue Bolt 105, 115

Mask 1, 2

Underworld Crime 7

Anyone care to add some more?

How about Weird Tales Of The Future? Are they in the same league as the above, or do they sell for under guide?

Angelo

I think it's hard to look at guide as a judge for how these books sell in the market. I think that quality and desirable material should always sell for over guide, but we don't see that with pre-code horror right now.

Weird Tales of the Future seems to be a strong seller. I don't think that any of the issues are particularly scarce, though.

Count me as someone who doesn't really go crazy for Fight Against Crime 20.

I'd add Out of the Shadows #8 to that list. A sought-after and scarce book.

Edited by paull

So you're the one who got that River City "man in the tube" Suspense! hm

The colors are super on that cover! :applause:

Only because I was shut out on the Black Knight books. A nice consolation prize, I think. Oh, here's a tough book that has been on my want list since 1993 or so:

Beware 5 (werewolf cover) - Trojan Magazines

I have more toughies that I will list a little later tonight.

Thanks-John

So you're the one who got that River City "man in the tube" Suspense! hm

The colors are super on that cover! :applause:

Only because I was shut out on the Black Knight books. A nice consolation prize, I think. Oh, here's a tough book that has been on my want list since 1993 or so:

Beware 5 (werewolf cover) - Trojan Magazines

I have more toughies that I will list a little later tonight.

Thanks-John

hm

Beware5.jpg