• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC on pressing

83 posts in this topic

Yeah. That would never happen. (thumbs u

It's going to be fun to watch just how many points of detection an undetectable treatment yeilds.

Now that it's down to competition they'll probably be able to make an 'us vs them' distinctions from across a convention hall.

I love a good conspiracy as much as anyone. But this is no different with regards to detection. A poorly pressed book exhibits some particular defects. They're not saying that CGC can now 100% detect all pressed books. Theoretically, properly pressed books will still not exhibit these defects or have other identifying characteristics.

Stop knocking the tinfoil hats off.

This is why I wear tin foil underwear. :)

If you think Matt's arrival at CGC didn't play a major role in (1) formally identifying defects introduced by his competitors in pressing and (2) deciding that after all these years they are now worthy of grade deductions, then you're not paying enough attention.

With the bizarre irony that Matt is the only presser who has ever actually damaged one of my books.

Yup... I'll second that. And the only time I received a LOWER grade post-pressing.

I will "third" this one, although in all fairness I did not ask for a pre-screen, so they could have been poor candidates.

But I doubt it. I've had mixed results with his work. On two expensive books he did a great job. On the cheaper ones? Different story. I don't think a modern, originally in the NM range, should come back with "large waves" after a pressing...shocked to see that after checking the graders' notes. I really hope that a professional would treat 90s drek the same way as a golden age book, but probably not. I'd rather find someone who does this work at a bit lower volume..that way I can be assured that the utmost concern is being taken with my books, regardless of their worth to anyone else.

I think everyone needs to realize that pressing, much like most other aspects of the collectors' side of the hobby, is a gamble. Sometimes the consequences balance out the benefits.

I'm glad the site is publishing these articles. At least consumers can better educate themselves regarding the risks of having comics pressed.

Yeah. That would never happen. (thumbs u

It's going to be fun to watch just how many points of detection an undetectable treatment yeilds.

Now that it's down to competition they'll probably be able to make an 'us vs them' distinctions from across a convention hall.

I love a good conspiracy as much as anyone. But this is no different with regards to detection. A poorly pressed book exhibits some particular defects. They're not saying that CGC can now 100% detect all pressed books. Theoretically, properly pressed books will still not exhibit these defects or have other identifying characteristics.

Stop knocking the tinfoil hats off.

This is why I wear tin foil underwear. :)

If you think Matt's arrival at CGC didn't play a major role in (1) formally identifying defects introduced by his competitors in pressing and (2) deciding that after all these years they are now worthy of grade deductions, then you're not paying enough attention.

With the bizarre irony that Matt is the only presser who has ever actually damaged one of my books.

Yup... I'll second that. And the only time I received a LOWER grade post-pressing.

I will "third" this one, although in all fairness I did not ask for a pre-screen, so they could have been poor candidates.

But I doubt it. I've had mixed results with his work. On two expensive books he did a great job. On the cheaper ones? Different story. I don't think a modern, originally in the NM range, should come back with "large waves" after a pressing...shocked to see that after checking the graders' notes. I really hope that a professional would treat 90s drek the same way as a golden age book, but probably not. I'd rather find someone who does this work at a bit lower volume..that way I can be assured that the utmost concern is being taken with my books, regardless of their worth to anyone else.

I think everyone needs to realize that pressing, much like most other aspects of the collectors' side of the hobby, is a gamble. Sometimes the consequences balance out the benefits.

I'm glad the site is publishing these articles. At least consumers can better educate themselves regarding the risks of having comics pressed.

Yeah, he put a 4" split on the spine of my otherwise 9.6 (hoping for 9.8) comic.

Nary an apology nor a penny of compensation. Just "here's your book back in the mail with a 4" spine split." :censored: