• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC on pressing

83 posts in this topic

Interesting. I've noticed more and more books with grading notes stating improper pressing symptoms over the last few months.

I've never seen a book with pressing noted. Can you show us an example? Just curious- I'm not trying to insight the mob.

I would think Roy isn't saying that the notes indicate "book pressed, and pretty badly" but that it might have a note rearding defects that can be attributed to pressing, such as "waffle iron imprints".

Really? They note that? Crazy! I'd love to see one. I'm trying to google it but not finding anything...

Things like "crushed spine" that are presumably the result of a bad press job.

Interesting. I've noticed more and more books with grading notes stating improper pressing symptoms over the last few months.

I've never seen a book with pressing noted. Can you show us an example? Just curious- I'm not trying to insight the mob.

Roy is talking specifically about grader's notes. But there are tons of books that have pressing noted.

Really? I know I haven't been around the block, but I've never seen one...Pic?

Yes, I have.

A restored book in which pressing was noted as being done along with a lot of other things.

This was an old label book, when they use to put a lot more notes on the label.

RAD3801C20121212_155426.jpg

So did the old labels have more notes on them? That seems to be what I'm learning from this thread. I didn't get in to CGC until about 3 years ago so I missed the old labels.

Pressed books have only been noted on books CGC labels as 'restored' because of wet cleaning and pressing that involves disassembly.

Unfortunately, all of the comics that are being disassembled, pressed, and reassembled without solvent cleaning are falling under the CGC radar.

Unfortunately, all of the comics that are being disassembled, pressed, and reassembled without solvent cleaning are falling under the CGC radar.

Or comics assembled page by page because someone thought it would make for good insulation.

Bad press jobs equates to the way Patriot defenders used to hold Colts receivers 6-8 yards off the line of scrimmage.

Butthurt Has No Expiration Date

:whee:

FU Cheater Lover

If I wasn't half hungover from staying up late watching the Bruins double overtime win I might have witty retart for you, but for now I hump the Notify Moderator button like Sidney Crosby hitting refresh on available tee times for next week.

lol

sidney crosby (lower case intentional) whah wah boy of the year.

Some of the side effects of improper pressing include staining, warping, edge rippling, crushed spines, reverse spine-roll, flaring, cockling, pebbling, gloss stains and melted inks.

Can someone post a slab scan of a book where "melted inks" was in the grader's notes. :wishluck:

What is the melting point? How hot would you have to set a dry mount press in order melt inks? :eek:

Just curious. First I've ever seen it mentioned.

It happens more often with moderns.

What is pebbling???

In science, it is the process of weathering from erosion. So a piece of rock or something that was once big is now smooth and all from being beaten down by impacts with other materials.

I would "guess" that it is something similar with pressing where pressing does damage to the book from compression?

dunno.

What is pebbling???

In science, it is the process of weathering from erosion. So a piece of rock or something that was once big is now smooth and all from being beaten down by impacts with other materials.

I would "guess" that it is something similar with pressing where pressing does damage to the book from compression?

dunno.

I'll assume they're talking about the single grain of dirt that will inevitably be in contact with the surface of a book and left there through the press. When it's pulled out it looks like a giant dent in the hood of your car.

It can be taken out by pressing the book again but is a huge annoyance.

I can't believe anyone is leaving that in the book when they have it graded, though. lol

Yeah. That would never happen. (thumbs u

It's going to be fun to watch just how many points of detection an undetectable treatment yeilds.

Now that it's down to competition they'll probably be able to make an 'us vs them' distinctions from across a convention hall.

I love a good conspiracy as much as anyone. But this is no different with regards to detection. A poorly pressed book exhibits some particular defects. They're not saying that CGC can now 100% detect all pressed books. Theoretically, properly pressed books will still not exhibit these defects or have other identifying characteristics.

Stop knocking the tinfoil hats off.

This is why I wear tin foil underwear. :)

If you think Matt's arrival at CGC didn't play a major role in (1) formally identifying defects introduced by his competitors in pressing and (2) deciding that after all these years they are now worthy of grade deductions, then you're not paying enough attention.

With the bizarre irony that Matt is the only presser who has ever actually damaged one of my books.

Yup... I'll second that. And the only time I received a LOWER grade post-pressing.

This is very interesting since compared to the other pressing flaws, this is one that can really only be observed outside the slab. If you got a slab back labeled improperly pressed "flaring" you'd have to crack it out to see this flaw.

Other thoughts... hm If flaring was only detectable by the method described (meaning if held or laid any other way would look normal), I wonder how many "improperly" pressed books that had "flaring" and no other defect may have been previously undetectable by CGC and made the upgrade (even to 9.8+) prior to CGC acquiring CCS. Or are we to assume this was a common well-known detection/inspection method used by CGC back since the start of the whole pressing revolution?

One interesting thought on separating ones pressing service from all others is to identify a unique method of pressing that results in the addition or subtraction of a characteristic/behavior of the comic post-press only identifiable under proprietary conditions such as this flaring. I'll agree flaring isn't appealing to me but if it's the ONLY defect and no other flaws can be seen, will it matter that much and will we now have to start holding every comic up in the air carefully by the spine to be sure it's absent of flaring regardless if pressed before submitting to CGC?

I've seen this happen after natural pressing (in a stack) where the cover has adhered to the first page and after you detach it from the first page the cover curls up at the corners.

The most dramatic thing I've seen with bad pressing has been that the comic itself shrunk.