• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC on pressing

83 posts in this topic

Yeah. That would never happen. (thumbs u

It's going to be fun to watch just how many points of detection an undetectable treatment yeilds.

Now that it's down to competition they'll probably be able to make an 'us vs them' distinctions from across a convention hall.

I love a good conspiracy as much as anyone. But this is no different with regards to detection. A poorly pressed book exhibits some particular defects. They're not saying that CGC can now 100% detect all pressed books. Theoretically, properly pressed books will still not exhibit these defects or have other identifying characteristics.

Sooooooooo.........does improper pressing get a Purple Lable?

Why would it? It's not considered restoration by CGC?

Books are graded with defects taken (or lack thereof) taken into account.

It's going to be fun to watch just how many points of detection an undetectable treatment yeilds.

Now that it's down to competition they'll probably be able to make an 'us vs them' distinctions from across a convention hall.

I love a good conspiracy as much as anyone. But this is no different with regards to detection. A poorly pressed book exhibits some particular defects. They're not saying that CGC can now 100% detect all pressed books. Theoretically, properly pressed books will still not exhibit these defects or have other identifying characteristics.

Stop knocking the tinfoil hats off.

This is why I wear tin foil underwear. :)

Interesting to note that the worsening of staple impaction (what Classics Inc refers to prior to pressing as 'maverick staples') isn't also singled out as damage from pressing worthy of grade deduction. meh

:roflmao:

No offense to The CGC, but where was this post prior to buying Classics? Are we going to get specific input on the grade impact for each "bad pressing defect"? If not, are we just left to wonder? This is a hardly subtle suggestion to be sure to use approved pressers before submitting.

Speaking of which, where is Mark Zaid with the update on how CGC is completely separating CCS from CGC?

In partial answer to my own question, from 4/14/13.

[snipped for brevity]

In light of this new information, CGC is formally announcing a policy change with respect to its grading standards. From this point forward, CGC will treat reverse spine rolls as a defect to the same extent as it does with books that were damaged by improper pressing. How the determination of a reverse spine roll defect will impact the grade of a book will, of course, be determined on a case-by-case evaluation. Because these spine rolls are typically minor in scale, usually 1/8” or less, there will be little to no impact on lower graded books. The term “Reverse spine roll” will be added to the defect list for CGC graders, as well as to the grading notes if evidence of such is identified with a particular book.

It is the opinion of CCS that these reverse spine rolls can be removed through proper pressing in order to re-align the book's spine back to its original state. If you own a comic book that you believe exhibits this type of reverse spine roll and you would like it corrected, CCS, which has extensive experience in determining the difference between the two from years of removing natural spine rolls, is offering re-alignment for $12.00 per book, regardless of the value of the book. Of course, CCS offers no guarantee of the CGC grade outcome of any book that undergoes its procedures.

The reverse spine roll issue has opened up discussions within CGC regarding pressing in general and how it can impact grade determinations. Since the practice of pressing has become more transparent in the hobby, CGC has seen an influx of poorly pressed books submitted for grading. Because pressing can damage a book and lower its grade/value, CCS will soon publicly present information on the adverse effects that can occur through application of an improper pressing technique. Additionally, CGC will more closely examine books for poor pressing techniques when determining grades.

We wish to publicly thank and applaud those in our Community who helped bring this issue to light. The cooperative effort that occurred is a testament to the mutual and beneficial relationship that exists between CGC/CCS and this Community.

If you have any questions, please either post them here or contact me via PM or e-mail at Mark@MarkZaid.com. Thanks!

If you think Matt's arrival at CGC didn't play a major role in (1) formally identifying defects introduced by his competitors in pressing and (2) deciding that after all these years they are now worthy of grade deductions, then you're not paying enough attention.

If you think Matt's arrival at CGC didn't play a major role in (1) identifying defects introduced by his competitors in pressing and (2) deciding that after all these years they are now worthy of grade deductions, then you're not paying enough attention.

Mark said exactly that:

Because pressing can damage a book and lower its grade/value, CCS will soon publicly present information on the adverse effects that can occur through application of an improper pressing technique. Additionally, CGC will more closely examine books for poor pressing techniques when determining grades.

But, let's be fair. At least part of that is in response to the public outcry on the reverse spineroll or apexing fiasco this year.

If you think Matt's arrival at CGC didn't play a major role in (1) formally identifying defects introduced by his competitors in pressing and (2) deciding that after all these years they are now worthy of grade deductions, then you're not paying enough attention.

With the bizarre irony that Matt is the only presser who has ever actually damaged one of my books.

If you think Matt's arrival at CGC didn't play a major role in (1) identifying defects introduced by his competitors in pressing and (2) deciding that after all these years they are now worthy of grade deductions, then you're not paying enough attention.

Mark said exactly that:

Because pressing can damage a book and lower its grade/value, CCS will soon publicly present information on the adverse effects that can occur through application of an improper pressing technique. Additionally, CGC will more closely examine books for poor pressing techniques when determining grades.

But, let's be fair. At least part of that is in response to the public outcry on the reverse spineroll or apexing fiasco this year.

Did anyone ever find an apex? I don't think my comics' spines have apexes. :(

Interesting. I've noticed more and more books with grading notes stating improper pressing symptoms over the last few months.
Seriously?

I could be wrong as I've seen notated stuff like that in the past. Just seems to be a bit more common now.

But they have said for years that it can't be detected all of the time??? :ohnoez:

Interesting to note that the worsening of staple impaction (what Classics Inc refers to prior to pressing as 'maverick staples') isn't also singled out as damage from pressing worthy of grade deduction. meh

I noticed this also. Not only impacted staples but staple tears as well. It's almost like CGC is completely ignoring staple problems. I would think a tear of any sort could be determined to be of a recent origin. A pressed book that invokes a staple tear should be downgraded.

Interesting. I've noticed more and more books with grading notes stating improper pressing symptoms over the last few months.
Seriously?

I could be wrong as I've seen notated stuff like that in the past. Just seems to be a bit more common now.

But they have said for years that it can't be detected all of the time??? :ohnoez:

It still can't. But the facejobbing, and the CCS deal has brought bad press damage to the forefront. Sort of like when there is a "point of emphasis" for referees in sports. Bad press jobs equates to the way Patriot defenders used to hold Colts receivers 6-8 yards off the line of scrimmage.

We press = Good Job Mattie, that's a 9.8 fer sure! :acclaim:

Anyone else press = fricking amateur, -2 simply for being an insufficiently_thoughtful_person! :makepoint:

But who's gonna watch the watcher? (shrug)

Apex of invisibility and shape-shifting be damned, it it's not Mattish, it's ! :sumo:

angry_scotsmen.jpg

I noticed this also. Not only impacted staples but staple tears as well. It's almost like CGC is completely ignoring staple problems. I would think a tear of any sort could be determined to be of a recent origin. A pressed book that invokes a staple tear should be downgraded.

CGC has never been very tough on a small staple tear.

You may be right. This may have paved the way for pressing to become acceptable. If the staples are in the right location, even a proper press can cause damage. The slab itself can cause staple damage when the cover 'sticks' to the inner well. Opening the book to count the pages can cause minor staple tears. I guess it would not be practical for CGC to look that close at staple tears.

Seriously?

It still can't. But the facejobbing, and the CCS deal has brought bad press damage to the forefront. Sort of like when there is a "point of emphasis" for referees in sports. Bad press jobs equates to the way Patriot defenders used to hold Colts receivers 6-8 yards off the line of scrimmage.

I still get annoyed when I think about that game...

You may be right. This may have paved the way for pressing to become acceptable. If the staples are in the right location, even a proper press can cause damage. The slab itself can cause staple damage when the cover 'sticks' to the inner well. Opening the book to count the pages can cause minor staple tears. I guess it would not be practical for CGC to look that close at staple tears.

The CGC has it all figured out.