• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC on pressing

83 posts in this topic

I like the idea of this column, but it needs a touch more content, in my opinion. I know they don't want to dig into the details and give away "trade secrets," but if they could flesh it out a bit, I think it would come across as informative rather than anti-pressing.

I like the idea of this column, but it needs a touch more content, in my opinion. I know they don't want to dig into the details and give away "trade secrets," but if they could flesh it out a bit, I think it would come across as informative rather than anti-pressing.

What needs to be done is an after-school special for those new to the pressing game to teach them that not every 9.6 can be pressed into a 9.8, nor does pressing help every book.

"Since pressing has received greater visibility in the last few years, the need for education us to corner the market in the market is more important than ever. How an individual someone not on our payroll presses a book can significantly impact a grade, both positively and negatively. If improperly applied, a pressing technique may damage or even ruin a book. Thus, it is important for the community to understand CGC’s standards for grading books that reflect signs of improper pressing, to encourage methods that best protect the integrity of the book such as having the book pressed by us only. CGC takes very seriously the threat to our business by others the impact pressing may have on an individual book, as well as on the hobby as a whole and our profit margins.

Some of the side effects of improper pressing include staining, warping, edge rippling, crushed spines, reverse spine-roll, flaring, cockling, pebbling, gloss stains and melted inks and loss of revenue for us. Each month, this column will cover one particular defect caused by improper pressing in the hope that you will realise that all pressing jobs are better done by us and not our competitors."

(Don't suppose this will last but was fun doing it.)

yeah I agree, it's a good article in some ways but it is obviously self serving.

Also after last months hoopla I think they should have noted that using pressing to offset the spine defects is a misuse of pressing.

What needs to be done is an after-school special for those new to the pressing game to teach them that not every 9.6 can be pressed into a 9.8, nor does pressing help every book.

joeypost.jpg

"Since pressing has received greater visibility in the last few years, the need for education us to corner the market in the market is more important than ever. How an individual someone not on our payroll presses a book can significantly impact a grade, both positively and negatively. If improperly applied, a pressing technique may damage or even ruin a book. Thus, it is important for the community to understand CGC’s standards for grading books that reflect signs of improper pressing, to encourage methods that best protect the integrity of the book such as having the book pressed by us only. CGC takes very seriously the threat to our business by others the impact pressing may have on an individual book, as well as on the hobby as a whole and our profit margins.

Some of the side effects of improper pressing include staining, warping, edge rippling, crushed spines, reverse spine-roll, flaring, cockling, pebbling, gloss stains and melted inks and loss of revenue for us. Each month, this column will cover one particular defect caused by improper pressing in the hope that you will realise that all pressing jobs are better done by us and not our competitors."

(Don't suppose this will last but was fun doing it.)

:roflmao:

No offense to The CGC, but where was this post prior to buying Classics? Are we going to get specific input on the grade impact for each "bad pressing defect"? If not, are we just left to wonder? This is a hardly subtle suggestion to be sure to use approved pressers before submitting.

Speaking of which, where is Mark Zaid with the update on how CGC is completely separating CCS from CGC?

So, proper pressing will now be defined as books that were pressed and given to them by the people on the other side of the room.

Improper pressing will be defined as books that were pressed by everyone else.

Good job on keeping the integrity. (thumbs u

joeypost.jpg

:roflmao:

So, proper pressing will now be defined as books that were pressed and given to them by the people on the other side of the room.

You catch on quick. :idea:

This is a stretch for even your retarded form of logic. I will start ringing the alarm bell as soon as the dozens of amateur and professional pressers on the Boards stop getting 9.8s. Then there will be something to hoot about. Until then, zzz

This is a stretch for even your retarded form of logic. I will start ringing the alarm bell as soon as the dozens of amateur and professional pressers on the Boards stop getting 9.8s. Then there will be something to hoot about. Until then, zzz

You're pretty practical for a ginger... :baiting:

Here we go back, this is the moment

Tonight is the night, we’ll fight 'til it’s over

So we put our hands up like the ceiling can’t hold us

Like the ceiling can’t hold us

Here we go back, this is the moment

Tonight is the night, we’ll fight 'til it’s over

So we put our hands up like the ceiling can’t hold us

Like the ceiling can’t hold us

Yeah. That would never happen. (thumbs u

It's going to be fun to watch just how many points of detection an undetectable treatment yeilds.

Now that it's down to competition they'll probably be able to make an 'us vs them' distinctions from across a convention hall.

Keep me posted.

Interesting. I've noticed more and more books with grading notes stating improper pressing symptoms over the last few months.

Interesting. I've noticed more and more books with grading notes stating improper pressing symptoms over the last few months.
Seriously?

Seriously?

I could be wrong as I've seen notated stuff like that in the past. Just seems to be a bit more common now.