• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

payment opinions

20 posts in this topic

I would like some opinions if my fellow boardies would be so kind. So I'm in the market for a raw 9.8, but am having a difficult time on committing to pay a 9.8 price when the grade isn't guaranteed. So I had this idea, someone says they have the issue I want in a 9.8. I was thinking I pay the price for a 9.4 maybe 9.6 at the most. When the book gets back with the grade, if it is a 9.8, I would pay the balance, if it doesn't we would be square. any ideas. It takes a level of trust and just being a decent person on both ends but this is what I came up with. Hypothetically, could it work? Would any of you agree to this if you were the seller? I think there is less risk in this than paying everything up front and waiting on a refund.

Before you ask, I'd like to get said issue signed so thats why I said a raw vs graded copy.

Or am i an insufficiently_thoughtful_person and should just go for the graded 9.8 and get it resubmitted after a signing?

(shrug)

I would like some opinions if my fellow boardies would be so kind. So I'm in the market for a raw 9.8, but am having a difficult time on committing to pay a 9.8 price when the grade isn't guaranteed. So I had this idea, someone says they have the issue I want in a 9.8. I was thinking I pay the price for a 9.4 maybe 9.6 at the most. When the book gets back with the grade, if it is a 9.8, I would pay the balance, if it doesn't we would be square. any ideas. It takes a level of trust and just being a decent person on both ends but this is what I came up with. Hypothetically, could it work? Would any of you agree to this if you were the seller? I think there is less risk in this than paying everything up front and waiting on a refund.

Before you ask, I'd like to get said issue signed so thats why I said a raw vs graded copy.

Or am i an insufficiently_thoughtful_person and should just go for the graded 9.8 and get it resubmitted after a signing?

(shrug)

I have a hard time telling people that a raw book is a CGC 9.8. Because it isn't until CGC says it is. I have sold a lot of books that I have listed as 9.6+ and a ton of them have come back 9.8. But I bet some have not.

Your idea is not a bad one. But you are better off finding people that you and trust, doing the deal at an agreed upon rate and learning to grade to the best of your ability for yourself.

any transaction takes trust. By not paying, or suggesting to not pay, 100% you reveal mistrust of the seller so why should he subsequently trust you? Share your concerns and agree to pay 100% with whatever stipulations you agree to, that way you garner trust instead of mistrust. You acknowledge up front you are having a problem trusting a grade not guaranteed - it is your mistrust so you should expect to shoulder the consequences. Just state concerns and make an agreement before paying. my 2c

any transaction takes trust. By not paying, or suggesting to not pay, 100% you reveal mistrust of the seller so why should he subsequently trust you? Share your concerns and agree to pay 100% with whatever stipulations you agree to, that way you garner trust instead of mistrust. You acknowledge up front you are having a problem trusting a grade not guaranteed - it is your mistrust so you should expect to shoulder the consequences. Just state concerns and make an agreement before paying. my 2c

I mistrust this.

(shrug)

You risk not getting a 9.8 if you crack a 9.8 for signing, so you are better off picking out the best raw book you can find in my opinion.

It is part of the risk of both the buyer and the seller when you come to an agreement on a raw book. The seller is risking that the book comes back higher than a 9.8 and you are risking that it comes back lower.

It is up to the seller to ask what he/she feels is fair for the book. If they are asking for a graded 9.8 price than I as a buyer would not be interested in buying it because than I am assuming all the risk.

Simpler just to negotiate a price you are both comfortable with.

And I assume the deal would include that you would pay the 9.9 or 10.0 premium if it came back there as well?

I was going to say the same thing and could have said it any better.

(shrug)

So you want the seller of the book to also assume the risk that the artist/writer doesn't screw the book up, too?

It might have been an 11.0 before (fill in your 'hot' creator of choice here) covered it in snot and pizza.

Sounds like you really want a CGC SS 9.8 copy of this book. Rather then try to wheel and deal on a raw copy, maybe just buy an already signed and graded copy? Not to be a , but maybe just spend the money to get exactly what you want?

Now, if this books does not exist in SS form already, then good luck. But pay full price for the book, no one but CGC can guarantee a grade. Buy the book in person, and try to be there when the creator signs the book.

You risk not getting a 9.8 if you crack a 9.8 for signing, so you are better off picking out the best raw book you can find in my opinion.

How many people have actually lost a grade or two after a signing? I haven't had a ton of books done, but all but one have kept the grade. And the one that didn't went from a 9.6 to a 9.8 :banana: The graders must have been distracted by the beautiful signature.

I mistrust this.

I sense a pattern.

Tell me about your childhood, perhaps we can get to the root of this curious problem. When you were young, did you read many comic books? And what happened to those comic books? Did your mother throw them away? hmmm.....

How many people have actually lost a grade or two after a signing? I haven't had a ton of books done, but all but one have kept the grade. And the one that didn't went from a 9.6 to a 9.8 :banana: The graders must have been distracted by the beautiful signature.

I mistrust Grace Jones. I bet she really was just like she was in Boomerang.

Sounds like you really want a CGC SS 9.8 copy of this book. Rather then try to wheel and deal on a raw copy, maybe just buy an already signed and graded copy? Not to be a , but maybe just spend the money to get exactly what you want?

Now, if this books does not exist in SS form already, then good luck. But pay full price for the book, no one but CGC can guarantee a grade. Buy the book in person, and try to be there when the creator signs the book.

I don't have a really good answer to this other than personal preferance. I just prefer to get the signature and go through the process myself, that really gives me a sense of ownership and pride in it. If i buy a pregraded, presigned copy, it doesnt feel like its mine.....if that makes any sense?

(shrug)

So you want the seller of the book to also assume the risk that the artist/writer doesn't screw the book up, too?

It might have been an 11.0 before (fill in your 'hot' creator of choice here) covered it in snot and pizza.

Valid point, I guess I'm working off of the assumption that the creator would not willingly damage the book, merely sign it and move on.

Great points all around, I guess this just came up due to the few sellers I have spoken to that insist their raw is a 9.8 and won't budge on price. I have to remember that there are decent people out there. Thanks all!

I don't have a really good answer to this other than personal preferance. I just prefer to get the signature and go through the process myself, that really gives me a sense of ownership and pride in it. If i buy a pregraded, presigned copy, it doesnt feel like its mine.....if that makes any sense?

I can totally understand wanting to go thru the process yourself. I have a few raw books that I will hopefully be getting signed and graded soon, and I look forward to following along.

I have no problem purchasing already signed and graded books, and personally, I really only care about having high grades on blue label slabs. SS slabs kinda get a pass because I mainly care about the signature. Because of that, I've gotten some great deals. And I rarely buy SS slabs to re-sell. Again, this is all my personal preference, and I don't expect everyone to collect how I collect.

Good luck with your book, please share it with us when you get done!

Great points all around, I guess this just came up due to the few sellers I have spoken to that insist their raw is a 9.8 and won't budge on price. I have to remember that there are decent people out there. Thanks all!

you're stuck. especially if you are dealing with ebay, maybe someone here would work with you, but as others mentioned they could sell you a nice 9.8 candidate, that gets bumped by USPS, you when you prep it for signing, the artist, or anyone else until it gets graded. Why should the seller take the risk.

I'd say this.

Buy the three best looking 9.8s you see online from dealers who have long and good feedback.

Look at all three when the come in, choose the best one, and return the other two if they dont look up to 9.8 snuff.

No one is going to hope you come thru on paying the difference, and no one is going to be willing to refund you the difference when it comes back a 9.4 ("when I sent it to you it was a 9.8 I dont know what you did to it, but it was a 9.8" is already being typed up).

I've gotten a few raws SSed. Sometimes you win (bought a VF/NM and it came back a 9.4, sometimes you break even (9.0/9.2 came back a 9.2) and sometimes you lose; bought what looked 9.8, ended up being a 9.6)