• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Official "Man Of Steel" Thread

962 posts in this topic

Funny that I've read every IMDB user review so far on advanced screenings and they've all given it glowing reviews.

Only "professional" critics seem to be having issues. hm

C'mon man, who gets themselves into early screenings? It's loaded up with fanboys. If we're saying the evil East Coast pinhead intellectual Ivy League pasty-faced critics can't be trusted, neither can legions of fanboys on opening night.

I'm very far from being a fanboy, having found far too many super-hero movies too servile to convention and formula. Saw the film this evening, 24 hours before its official release in the UK.

Man Of Steel is an assured, classy bit of entertainment that is so much better than Superman Returns, or indeed 90% of DC's screen product.

We seem to agree on movies so this is encouraging to read. :banana:

I thought it was ho-hum myself. It was a good step for DC but no where near the class of the original.

- It was nice to see action in a Superman film again, although that was helped by the music. I don't think Superman looked super in combat.

- The action was too much like Transformers where it happened so fast you didn't actually see it.

- I never really liked Costner or Crowe. Glen Ford and Marlon Brando were way better actors and far more personable.

- Cavill is nowhere near likable than Christopher Reeve was. In fact, there wasn't any chemistry between any of the characters except Cavill and Diane Lane.

- The music was good, but I didn't walk away liking it like I did John William soundtrack with the memorable opening theme.

- There wasn't much of a story. The comedy and positive atmospher of the original still trumps this cgi filled tale.

- What's the point of a secret identity anymore? eh...

Saw the midnight showing.....

Loved it. Great action, acting and story. Female kryptonian was a BEAST, and final battle with Zod and Sups was EPIC!

Only gripe I had was I wanted Zod to be a sinister villain and he was not. As far as I'm concerned, he was the hero and Sups was just caught in the crossfire.

For the record, my bro (being a huge Christopher Reeve fanboy) wanted to see more Sups saving people while doing battle..... (shrug)

Posted this in one of the many other MOS threads (shrug)

I have seen the movie and the word is pretty great. This set the bar for every other superhero movie. The fight scenes may have been longer than I would have liked but they were exciting and realistic, and I realize people like more rather than less of this type of action. I got more than a few rushes of thrills and all sorts of emotions. It even pulled a tear or two out of me. Sure it likely wasn't perfect. But it was the best darned superhero I've seen in a long time. Best line of the film may be what Kal says to Lois in response to her comment after they . . .

Kiss

Oh and you don't have to wait for all the credits to end - there's no bonus scene after them :golfclap:

Even my wife liked it a lot (the eye candy didn't hurt) and she NEVER likes these types of movies.

That speaks volumes for a certain demographic - women.

Why Reviews Matter For 'Man Of Steel'

Forbes - Business

It’s hard out there for a superhero. On Thursday, fanboys spent the day refreshing the Rotten Tomatoes web site as the critic reviews for the new Superman movie, Man of Steel, rushed in. The site aggregates reviews from around the country and gives each film a score based on whether the reviews are positive or negative. At first it looked like the movie was getting great reviews but by the end of the day, the film had a 57 out of 100 earning it a dreaded icon of a squashed green tomato.

Reviews don’t always matter when it comes to big blockbusters. None of Michael Bay‘s Transformer movies have earned better than a 56 out of 100 yet the franchise has brought in $2.7 billion at the global box office.

But fans are closely watching the reviews for Man of Steel for a few reasons. First, the movie was executive produced by Christopher Nolan, a director known for the high quality of his work. Last year’s The Dark Knight Rises got an 87 and in 2008 The Dark Knight earned a 94 out of 100.

So Nolan’s association with the film heightens expectations for Man of Steel.

Second, the last time Warner Bros. attempted a Superman reboot, it didn’t go very well. In 2006 Superman Returns earned $391 million at the global box office but since studios only take home about half of the box office, that meant that the film didn’t cover its $270 million production budget.

But that movie earned a 75 out of 100 on Rotten Tomatoes. The critics now seem to be saying that the new movie is even worse.

Superman is such a beloved character that many fans are rooting for the film to be a hit. And it looks like the movie will have a strong opening weekend. Exhibitor Relations expects Man of Steel will top the box office this weekend with $115 million. But in a world where most superheroes are dealing with serious emotional scars, Superman’s pure goodness can be a tough sell.

And the film is opening on the heels of Iron Man 3 which has already earned $1.2 billion at the global box office. That film scored a 78 out of 100 on Rotten Tomatoes.

So the pressure is on for Superman. Audiences will have to love the film and it will have to earn at least $800 million to be considered a hit and to spawn the kind of franchise Warner Bros. is surely hoping for.

LINK

Son (19) saw it last night....I was expecting a good review but he was mostly 'meh'....granted he's not a huge fan of the Superman films, but for some reason all the Jorel scenes bothered him. Too much Jorel and too little Superman I guess.

Also not even a spark of humor , definitely a Nolan film, basically Batman in a blue suit.

Whatever the case, i'll still take my younger son- to see it.....still haven't seen Star Trek.

I hear that Bachelor Party 2 has a lot of humor.

That's why it's called a comedy ;)

. . . now be nice :eek:

Was The Avengers also called a comedy? hm

Because it had a lot of humor. Some would even say way too much ;)

Set to see this at 2:15.

To demonstrate my level of interest, I'm a Marvel zombie & a lifelong devotee of Star Trek but haven't made any effort to see Iron Man 3 or ST2, even though ST2 looks really good & I completely enjoyed the first one.

I hear that Bachelor Party 2 has a lot of humor.

That's why it's called a comedy ;)

. . . now be nice :eek:

Was The Avengers also called a comedy? hm

Because it had a lot of humor. Some would even say way too much ;)

No, but Marvel has always had more humor (some of it unintended) in their comics. I Actually I myself like the humor in the books as well as in the movies. I just don't think it was really lacking in MOS. There were scenes with humor - I won't spoil it here - but I laughed out loud. They were more subtle than the quips in the Marvel movies, but they were there.

I'm sure this isn't going to happen again, but I'm definitely done with any Walmart pre-screenings after this. I'm still furious about how they ruined such a great part of the movie.

Don't give up on them I tell you. I won't after my first one last night - it was a 7:pm show in the NJ suburbs and the theatre was only about half-filed. But after the movie when we left there were lines of people already forming for 3 sold-out mid-night shows.

I think that a lot of people didn't know about the tickets at WALMART, as the mob we expected to find when we got there was not there.

But I'll tell you they were there when we were leaving at 9:30 PM for a 12:00 midnight show :grin:

I really enjoyed it though I found it to be a pretty dramatic departure from the Supes I've known and loved in some areas. For one - he didn't pay nearly as much attention to collateral damage and saving people in danger as past iterations. Obviously he couldn't have stopped it all, but we rarely see him balancing decisions between fighting and rescuing which I feel like has always been a pretty big part of Supes' character. We do see it a couple times, so they didn't totally ignore it, but I did notice and wonder on several occasions why he wasn't trying to move the fight away from Main St or downtown Metropolis.

Second and most importantly - as we all know now, he kills a guy....

I truthfully don't know how else they could have believably and satisfactorily ended that fight. But still, Superman KILLS someone. That's just a big one to swallow in the "classical" sense of the universe. I did like the treatment of it - how much they showed that he clearly ripped a bit of his soul in having to do it. But, it's a pretty dark thing for Supes.

I think the thing I liked MOST, was how evident the speed and power of Kryptonians was. That has never been put on display like it was here. Just laughably more powerful than humanity which is how it should be and is rarely captured.

I'll be seeing it again I think.

I really enjoyed it though I found it to be a pretty dramatic departure from the Supes I've known and loved in some areas. For one - he didn't pay nearly as much attention to collateral damage and saving people in danger as past iterations. Obviously he couldn't have stopped it all, but we rarely see him balancing decisions between fighting and rescuing which I feel like has always been a pretty big part of Supes' character. We do see it a couple times, so they didn't totally ignore it, but I did notice and wonder on several occasions why he wasn't trying to move the fight away from Main St or downtown Metropolis.

I truthfully don't know how else they could have believably and satisfactorily ended that fight. But still, Superman KILLS someone. That's just a big one to swallow in the "classical" sense of the universe. I did like the treatment of it - how much they showed that he clearly ripped a bit of his soul in having to do it. But, it's a pretty dark thing for Supes.

I think the thing I liked MOST, was how evident the speed and power of Kryptonians was. That has never been put on display like it was here. Just laughably more powerful than humanity which is how it should be and is rarely captured.

Totally agree with this. Very significant.

Totally agree with this. Very significant.

But also not new when you compare it to all the SH movies made today.

Different times my friend . . . (shrug)