• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

And to think. I was leading on the Mile High ABC's with three minutes left.

106 posts in this topic

I suspect more "punishment bids" than shill bids. If people figure out that someone is going to outbid them to the moon, they may bid higher just for spite.

They also may get curious about how high someone else is really willing to go.

It's another good reason to put in any extremely high bids you are planning to make as snipes.

If people know what books he's going after, they could be trying to shill bid him up. Any time I pay a high price for a book, I always wonder whether I was bidding against real bids or against a shill.

I think the punishment bid and curiosity bid to find out how high he will go are probably part of it. The problem with those is that you might actually win something. And have to pay for it! That's no fun. :tonofbricks:

I guess I wasn't making a distinction between shill bids from the seller and "punishment" bids from insincere buyers. It seems like any time I go after a book I really want, I get punishment-bid into the stratosphere. I guess the only answer is to be willing to let every book go if it goes past X dollars, no matter how much I might want it.

That's what I do. If the punishment bidder is uncertain how high you will go, he can take the punishment of winning a book he didn't much want. Punishing the punisher! :D

From now on, I think I'm going to stick to proxy bids in the non-snipable auctions, too. I seem to lose control like Patty Duke with a hot dog during live auctions, especially on Heritage Live when I have a red "Auction Ending" warning light flashing in my face and only 20 or so seconds to decide whether to bid before the hammer comes down. (The 3 minutes on CConnect isn't so bad; I can make a much more rational decision in 3 minutes than I can in 20 seconds.)

I suspect more "punishment bids" than shill bids. If people figure out that someone is going to outbid them to the moon, they may bid higher just for spite.

They also may get curious about how high someone else is really willing to go.

It's another good reason to put in any extremely high bids you are planning to make as snipes.

If people know what books he's going after, they could be trying to shill bid him up. Any time I pay a high price for a book, I always wonder whether I was bidding against real bids or against a shill.

I think the punishment bid and curiosity bid to find out how high he will go are probably part of it. The problem with those is that you might actually win something. And have to pay for it! That's no fun. :tonofbricks:

I guess I wasn't making a distinction between shill bids from the seller and "punishment" bids from insincere buyers. It seems like any time I go after a book I really want, I get punishment-bid into the stratosphere. I guess the only answer is to be willing to let every book go if it goes past X dollars, no matter how much I might want it.

That's what I do. If the punishment bidder is uncertain how high you will go, he can take the punishment of winning a book he didn't much want. Punishing the punisher! :D

From now on, I think I'm going to stick to proxy bids in the non-snipable auctions, too. I seem to lose control like Patty Duke with a hot dog during live auctions, especially on Heritage Live when I have a red "Auction Ending" warning light flashing in my face and only 20 or so seconds to decide whether to bid before the hammer comes down. (The 3 minutes on CConnect isn't so bad; I can make a much more rational decision in 3 minutes than I can in 20 seconds.)

Not me... I spend the 3 minutes talking myself into why I should make the next bid and usually go higher... Although it didn't matter tonight as I was beat out on both books I bid on, by a large margin.

If only someone had the highest graded copy of #1 for sale. :shy:

But it doesn't say Edgar Church on the label. ComicConnect has a bidder who wants to win all the Mile Highs and has the cash to do it. It's been making for some pretty crazy prices.

i hope he doesn't want every single church book in the auction; i kinda want one myself.

:wishluck:

Whoever has been buying up the Mile Highs has been at it for the last two years. Before that, I picked up a number of Mile High Captain Marvel Adventues cheap. Started to figure that it would be neat to collect them. Now I just bid against this guy until I get bored. Whacked him up over 6k per book for the 2 Church CMAs in this auction.

:hi: Jeff

But it doesn't say Edgar Church on the label. ComicConnect has a bidder who wants to win all the Mile Highs and has the cash to do it. It's been making for some pretty crazy prices.

i hope he doesn't want every single church book in the auction; i kinda want one myself.

I'm curious about this mystery Church fan, and in the absence of truthful info I'll just make stuff up. Like does he want to reassemble the whole 14,000 book collection? Because that is balls.

I'm curious about this mystery Church fan, and in the absence of truthful info I'll just make stuff up. Like does he want to reassemble the whole 14,000 book collection? Because that is balls.

[font:Times New Roman]Doubtful. If that were the case it would be ballsy, but ultimately a facile effort. Unless the mystery collector is specializing or has a wallet bigger than Bill Gates' bank account, there are just too many Church collectors around who'll dash those ambitions (myself included).

This is just one auction. As you can see, Straw-Man hasn't thrown in the towel and from my ringside seat the championship bouts aren't even on the roster yet. [/font] :grin:

[font:Times New Roman]Doubtful. If that were the case it would be ballsy, but ultimately a facile effort. Unless the mystery collector is specializing or has a wallet bigger than Bill Gates' bank account, there are just too many Church collectors around who'll dash those ambitions (myself included).

This is just one auction. As you can see, Straw-Man hasn't thrown in the towel and from my ringside seat the championship bouts aren't even on the roster yet. [/font] :grin:

Metro has just shy of 500 Church books listed on their site. If this guy was trying to reassemble the entire collection(which was more than 14,000), he'd be picking those up.

One guy may be bidding on all of them, but one guy isn't winning all of them.

i've got a sizable did down on the one i want; if mystery-bidder beats me for it, he will have earned it.

Please post the comic name, issue number, and your maximum bid here, so that the punishment bids may commence.

Thank you for your cooperation.

i've got a sizable did down on the one i want; if mystery-bidder beats me for it, he will have earned it.

Please post the comic name, issue number, and your maximum bid here, so that the punishment bids may commence.

If you insist. I've got a $42k bid in on FLAMING WESTERN ROMANCES #3. (Enjoy your comic)

If you insist. I've got a $42k bid in on FLAMING WESTERN ROMANCES #3. (Enjoy your comic)

You got my bid beat on it! lol

One guy may be bidding on all of them, but one guy isn't winning all of them.

[font:Times New Roman]Now who'd dare do battle with so determined a bidder, ...I wonder.[/font] hm

f34c6dc0-fd40-4229-967d-f559f143d479_zpsca9438a8.jpg

b07a89e9-c7d2-4f4c-b3ce-4d5ff65e44e2_zps19c455f3.jpg

:fear:(worship)

that's a tallass caveman.

If there is one guy chasing all the MH books hard, why hasn't this person snatched up the numerous MHs on CL and Metro's inventory? Many of which I believe are listed at reasonable prices...
Maybe nobody's buying all the Mile Highs; maybe somebody's shill bidding the Mile Highs in certain categories because he already owns a boatload of them that he wants to sell and he's trying to inflate the perceived FMV.