• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Superman Returns got better reviews than Man of Steel is getting

39 posts in this topic

I know there is a lot of hope for this movie, but maybe this hope should be tapered a bit. People lambast Superman Returns, but it did get 76 percent positive ratings from Rotten Tomatoes. Man of Steel on the other hand is getting 69 percent positive ratings from Rotten Tomatoes.

Man of Steel

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/superman_man_of_steel/

Superman Returns

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/superman_returns/

I know there is a lot of hope for this movie, but maybe this hope should be tapered a bit. People lambast Superman Returns, but it did get 76 percent positive ratings from Rotten Tomatoes. Man of Steel on the other hand is getting 69 percent positive ratings from Rotten Tomatoes.

Man of Steel

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/superman_man_of_steel/

Superman Returns

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/superman_returns/

3 comic people I know saw the movie a couple days ago.

All 3 said best Superman movie of all time.

Rotten Tomatoes used to useful, but anymore I find it useless for rationale thoughts.

The first Christopher Reeves one had a camp charm when it came out, but doesn't hold up well. I recall liking the second one better, but it's been 30 years since I've seen it. Never saw 3 & 4. I found Superman Returns pretty forgettable. My favorite film version is still the Fleischer animated cartoons from the 40s. The trailers make this new one look fairly interesting, but if I don't hear good things, it waits for the Netflix cue.

I don't understand why Superman Returns gets bashed so much around here. I think it's a good, underrated movie. It's got a few problems, yes, but overall I like it.

When it came out, people around here and critics mostly liked it, but for some reason that puzzles me, people seem to love bashing it in retrospect. That's mostly true of both Hulk films as well--decent reviews when it came out, but lambasted in retrospect. I generally enjoyed "Returns," but I don't find it all that re-watchable. I do the same thing with Superman Returns and the first Hulk film--I mostly fast-forward to the action scenes. I find "The Incredible Hulk" more re-watchable because I find the performances of Ed Norton, William Hurt, Liv Tyler, and particularly Tim Roth to be rather enjoyable. Roth played a better Emil Blonsky than any version of him I've seen in the comics have been. The bit from "Returns" where Superman saves the airplane is the best Superman action footage filmed to date, although I fully expect multiple parts of "Man of Steel" to leave that sequence in the dust. :wishluck:

Superman returns didn't have Superman fight anyone!

That's the entire historical problem with Superman--they made him too powerful, so it's quite difficult to create good villains for him to fight. Zod is the only villain in ANY of the films that can match him. "Smallville" suffered from the same problem--the only challenge they could come up with for him was to stick some type of Kryptonite used in a unique way in like half the episodes. I'm not all that familiar with his best foes from the comics that weren't less powerful than he is, but aren't they all rather ambitious to do on the big screen? Darkseid is the only one I've heard of that's much of a match, but I've never read a comic with him in it so I know little about him. I didn't watch the last season of Smallville, but I heard he was the villain. With the little bit I know about him, I'm guessing they didn't have the CGI budget to do him much justice.

Superman Returns also came out prior to Dark Knight and Avengers.

Superman Returns also came out after Spiderman 1, and Spiderman 2.

Yes, because we all know how high Spider-Man 1 and Spider-Man 2 set the bar for future comic movies.

Superman Returns also came out prior to Dark Knight and Avengers.

Superman Returns also came out after Spiderman 1, and Spiderman 2.

Yes, because we all know how high Spider-Man 1 and Spider-Man 2 set the bar for future comic movies.

Spider-Man 2 is EASILY in the top five of all superhero films. I put it second behind "The Dark Knight." It's also one of only a tiny handful of superhero films to get above 90% Rotten Tomatoes (it got 93%), 80 MRQE (it got 83), and 80 MetaCritic (it got 83) scores. It set the bar quite high.

Snooze fest and a it was a chick-flick in disguise.

I like chicks. :shrug:

Go watch Chicken Run. (thumbs u

I like Chicken Run too, although it's no Wallace & Gromit. :luhv:

Wallace & Gromit rules. :sumo: