• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Superman Returns got better reviews than Man of Steel is getting

39 posts in this topic

Superman Returns also came out prior to Dark Knight and Avengers.

Superman Returns also came out after Spiderman 1, and Spiderman 2.

Yes, because we all know how high Spider-Man 1 and Spider-Man 2 set the bar for future comic movies.

Spider-Man 2 is EASILY in the top five of all superhero films. I put it second behind "The Dark Knight." It's also one of only a tiny handful of superhero films to get above 90% Rotten Tomatoes (it got 93%), 80 MRQE (it got 83), and 80 MetaCritic (it got 83) scores. It set the bar quite high.

I think Spider-Man 2 is the most overrated superhero movie of all time, but that's just one person's opinion (definitely not looking to argue that).

Superman Returns and Spider-Man 2 came out in a time where comic related weren't very good, so the reviews for these movies were better because of the movies they were comparing them to at the time.

Snooze fest and a it was a chick-flick in disguise.

I like chicks. :shrug:

Go watch Chicken Run. (thumbs u

I like Chicken Run too, although it's no Wallace & Gromit. :luhv:

Wallace & Gromit rules. :sumo:

they double rule!! :sumo: :sumo:

Snooze fest and a it was a chick-flick in disguise.

I like chicks. :shrug:

Go watch Chicken Run. (thumbs u

I like Chicken Run too, although it's no Wallace & Gromit. :luhv:

Wallace & Gromit rules. :sumo:

they double rule!! :sumo: :sumo:

Finally, some positive Wallace & Gromit reviews.

:applause:

When is the Brandon Routh Superman and Hanry Cavill Superman crossover movie coming out?

Earth 1 and Earth 2? Are you anticipating a crisis story?

I would be ALL ABOUT THAT. Even though Routh sucked, it would be cool to see 2 Supermans fighting each other and eventually having to team up.

When is the Brandon Routh Superman and Hanry Cavill Superman crossover movie coming out?

I would be ALL ABOUT THAT. Even though Routh sucked, it would be cool to see 2 Supermans fighting each other and eventually having to team up.

Didn't you watch Superman 3? :baiting:

or 4

Unfortunately, yes.

I don't understand why Superman Returns gets bashed so much around here. I think it's a good, underrated movie. It's got a few problems, yes, but overall I like it.

I liked it too. Being a fan of the original Donner movie, I thought it brought decent closure to that era of Superman. But apparently the general audience was ready to move on, so MAN OF STEEL will probably be more satisfying to the masses.

Rotten Tomatoes used to useful, but anymore I find it useless for rationale thoughts.

Yeah, I don't believe in averages either! ;)

Averages of dopes who don't matter in life.

Averages of dopes who don't matter in life.

If you're that quick to dismiss the opinions of others, I don't see why anyone here's opinion would matter more to you--or why yours should matter to us--other than the fact that we all already know most of us here are biased towards superhero films. From that perspective, I suppose our opinions here do tend to matter a bit more than most reviewers on Rotten Tomatoes. However, the ones I like the best are the ones from reviewers with a bias towards the genre such as we all have--those are the ones that will give us the best idea of how well fanboys are likely to enjoy the film. I've seen mostly glowing reviews from the critics who are fans of the genre, and that should be all that any of us care about in terms of whether or not we'd like to see this film.

I only care about the other reviews because they're a good indicator of how our friends and family who don't enjoy superhero films as much as we do might like the film. I unreservedly recommended the Nolan Batman films to friends and co-workers who weren't comic fans like I am, but I probably won't quite do the same for this film unless I know they're diehard action fans. Might ask my dad to see it on father's day, kinda on the fence about that. (shrug)

Superman Returns also came out prior to Dark Knight and Avengers.

Superman Returns also came out after Spiderman 1, and Spiderman 2.

Yes, because we all know how high Spider-Man 1 and Spider-Man 2 set the bar for future comic movies.

Spider-Man 2 is EASILY in the top five of all superhero films. I put it second behind "The Dark Knight." It's also one of only a tiny handful of superhero films to get above 90% Rotten Tomatoes (it got 93%), 80 MRQE (it got 83), and 80 MetaCritic (it got 83) scores. It set the bar quite high.

I think Spider-Man 2 is the most overrated superhero movie of all time, but that's just one person's opinion (definitely not looking to argue that).

:hi: I've stated many times my disdain for that film. Actually I disliked the first film as well, the roof top scene was some of the worst dialogue ever on film. Raimi's directing was just not my cup of tea, and some of the actors were just terrible.

Hmm...yes interesting. Me and most of my family will end up seeing this film in the theaters since it will have lots of action, has Superman in it, it will look better on the big screen, and the hype has excited us. Might even do the IMAX 2D version. With that said, I'm tempering expectations and hoping the ride is enjoyable. RT reviews always start strong then drop for movies like these so if you go based on reviews you should wait a week or two until the sample size is large enough to neutralize the early viewers excitement. Plus most film snobs don't generally rave for superhero movies. But what is it that we are all really expecting out of this movie? What life-changing moment are we all hoping to experience when we go see it? We love to see our 2-dimensional superheroes come to life on the big screen and with CGI and Hollywood special effects we see them closer to real than we ever could before. So I pose it to those of you who haven't seen the movie yet. What would make or break this movie for you:

1. All out slugfest: getting to see Superman engage in a "total war" fight against Zod that causes the heavens and Earth to crumble with a full display of both characters strengths and weaknesses

2. Apocalyptic Earth (humans) in the middle struggle and what our puny weapons can do against Superman or Zod as we struggle to survive the conflict

3. Something New: whether it be a plot point, special effects technique, or Superman Power never before seen

4. Humor

5. Drama: intense, tear-jerking moments like Superman's unwavering belief in human kind and selfless and altruistic attempts at saving humanity at great pain, sacrifice, and cost to himself. Love of his human parents, Lana and Lois

6. Non-stop incredible action: the kind like in Saving Private Ryan Normandy scene where you end up with a mild form of PTST by the end.

7. Pious adherence to Superman's character from a particular era, or any other character for that matter.

8. Original story: I don't see how but let's just say some plot never before seen in any prior Superman comic, movie, or any other movie for that matter

9. New character introduction: some one/thing that is introduced in the movie and then integrated into the comics

10. Kick music soundtrack and score

11. Battles in Space: why doesn't Superman fight more in space, on other worlds, or against other races in the movies .

12. Cross-over plot cameos: Hey is that Batman swinging in the background while he visits Gotham, is that Wonder Woman's alter ego he just bumped into, etc?

13. More origins history and scenes: life on Krypton, mom and dad's daily life stuff, Krypton customs

14. Inside jokes only Superman comic fans will get and enjoy

15. Great acting, at least by the main characters.

16. Great ending: or happy or ominous that brings closure to the gist of this movie but leaves you wanting more and leaves foretelling questions about the next one

17. Post Credits extra scenes that directly relate to the next movie and perhaps JL

18. I don't care but please just don't suck

It would be awesome if each of these items were addressed in the movie I'm sure most fans would love if at least a few were. However, it's not likely that half of these items will be met in a single film. So what among them, or any that you can think of, would make you say That movie kicked and is the best Superman movie ever!

Maybe I should have put this in a poll. hmm