• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Which cover do you prefer? BCM 50 or TOT 15

Which cover do you prefer: BCM 50 or TOT 15?  

225 members have voted

1. 1. Which cover do you prefer: BCM 50 or TOT 15?

53 posts in this topic

I agree. But I don't particularly like either because they are both a bit too over-the-top and trying too hard to shock, for my taste. I've also just read all of the Harvey horror comics runs and wasn't impressed with the stories. Some decent art occasionally, such as Powell and Nostrand, but I needed to sift through a lot of dross. Not as hard work as ACG, though.

I'm surprised to hear that the choice is a shoo-in for certain boardies...these two books are the ultimate bookends. There can't be much in it - a fan would always want both.

I agree. I've always thought of them as a pair.

In the top grades (8.5 and higher) they are about equal 15 for ToT vs 14 for BCM. Overall BCM does appear to be less common.

Even tho acg has its share of dross, I enjoy their efforts! :)

I would say that ACG is inconsistent. It's hard to call the Williamson/Frazetta "Demon of Destruction" dross and there are quite a few stories in other issues I'm fond of.

Even tho acg has its share of dross, I enjoy their efforts! :)

I would say that ACG is inconsistent. It's hard to call the Williamson/Frazetta "Demon of Destruction" dross and there are quite a few stories in other issues I'm fond of.

I agree with that, being a Williamson, Frazetta and EC science-fiction fan. I remember an attempt at selling me a hardcover ACG reprint volume on the strength of their work, but it's very atypical material and I'm glad I didn't get misled that way. There are more well-illustrated stories in there, certainly, such as those by Buscema and Schaffenberger, as examples. So yes, some good material, but hard going to plough through issue after issue of what felt like dross to get to something quality - for me, anyway.

Or perhaps I've just been spoiled by 30+ years of reading ECs? That's the other, strong possibility. :)