• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does Comics General Need A Movie Sub-Forum? (with Poll)

Does Comics General Need A Movie Sub-Forum?  

432 members have voted

1. 1. Does Comics General Need A Movie Sub-Forum?

498 posts in this topic

well lets see, what is the biggest trend in GENERAL in COMICS for now and the foreseeable future...oh, it's MOVIES.

The problem is that Comic General is treated as the Water Cooler. What we need is accountable, publicly known moderators with a heavy ban hammer and itchy moved thread trigger finger, to clean up the filth and the off-topic stuff.

I think a lot has changed in the past year and a half since this thread was started.

Take a look at this thread.

Official "Man Of Steel" Thread

In addition to the main movie thread there were 41 satellite threads that sprung up at the same time.

41!

People want to talk about movies and they want to write their own reviews about them. I think this is fantastic and is a sign of a healthy forum. But CG is supposed to be more than just a movie forum, and a lot of the non-movie threads get pushed to obscurity. A dedicated movie sub-forum on the first page solves all these problems and just makes good sense.

well lets see, what is the biggest trend in GENERAL in COMICS for now and the foreseeable future...oh, it's MOVIES.

The problem is that Comic General is treated as the Water Cooler. What we need is accountable, publicly known moderators with a heavy ban hammer and itchy moved thread trigger finger, to clean up the filth and the off-topic stuff.

What? You didn't like the "fat nerd" weight loss thread?

But CG is supposed to be more than just a movie forum, and a lot of the non-movie threads get pushed to obscurity.

if the threads are important they will be bumped by the people writing in them. I dont think one person or one group of people should be able to "impose" something on other people. If people posting in and creating movie threads were asking for it, maybe there would be a case for it.

edit:

------

For instance, using your first two pages of posts as a guideline. The main CG threads you are posting in are, "old school advice for newbs", "Bravo Roy" and "locked thread points challenge".

That type of stuff all belongs in Water Cooler, and are far more out of place in Comics General than movie and tv threads.

But CG is supposed to be more than just a movie forum, and a lot of the non-movie threads get pushed to obscurity.

if the threads are important they will be bumped by the people writing in them. I dont think one person or one group of people should be able to "impose" something on other people. If people posting in and creating movie threads were asking for it, maybe there would be a case for it.

I could be wrong, but it's my impression that most of the people posting in movie forums support the idea of a movie sub-forum. It has no downside to visibility, and keeps everything in one easily-located place.

I could be wrong,

I think you are

Why does the poll say 74% in favor, then?

That's a pretty healthy majority in any poll.

I don't see why there would be any resistance to a movie forum. I'm as comic movie loving as the next guy and have waited decades for this to hit, but I'm personally getting sick of all of the threads, myself.

You can only see the same trailer so many times, or so many versions of it before it starts to get boring. I've actually been avoiding CG for that very reason.

obviously yes. there is just overkill with: every movie getting a thread, every casting rumor/decision getting a thread, every trailer getting a thread, every movie release getting at least one review thread. do we need a thread on the first page of CG for the (fill in the blank) movie which will be out in three years? four years?

I could be wrong, but it's my impression that most of the people posting in movie forums support the idea of a movie sub-forum. It has no downside to visibility, and keeps everything in one easily-located place.

I agree. There really is no downside to a movie sub-forum.

Many message boards have a forum like CG. It's kind of like the lobby where everyone mills about before going in to see their movie (you see what I did there?) Yes, it can be like an off topic forum at times but that's not the great evil CBT would have you believe it is. There's nothing wrong with that. What we definitely do not need here is even more heavy handed mods :eyeroll:

I agree. There really is no downside to a movie sub-forum.

Many message boards have a forum like CG. It's kind of like the lobby where everyone mills about before going in to see their movie (you see what I did there?)

No, could you explain further?

What we definitely do not need here is even more heavy handed mods :eyeroll:

hm

I hope this subforum happens soon. It will filter a lot from the general page.

I guarantee the movie sub-forum will get more traffic then all the other forums.

Unfortunately comics general forum`s traffic will go down.

So if your CGC why would you want your main forum to lose eyeballs and clicks?

From a business perspective it doesn't make sense.

hm