• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does Comics General Need A Movie Sub-Forum? (with Poll)

Does Comics General Need A Movie Sub-Forum?  

432 members have voted

1. 1. Does Comics General Need A Movie Sub-Forum?

498 posts in this topic

Here's the good thing. You'll either get over whatever your issue is, or you won't. That's your problem to deal with.

Now if you want to have continued baggage over that BS that happened, and want to continue bringing it up, then it shows where the concern truly is.

lol

Again, you are deflecting, just like you did then.

Continually bring it up? This is the first time I remember mentioning it since it blew over and the other times I commented on it was in public during a discussion on the subject while it was happening.

The reason I brought 'it up' was because you seemed interested in why I felt the way I did so I explained it to you. It's impossible to explain that without bringing 'it' up. If you were reasonable you'd know that rather than try to spin it like I 'continue bringing it up' out of spite.

doh!

And yes, I'll keep posting TV and movie news. Thanks for your blessing.

I know you plan on posting more. Just to be clear, I wasn't giving you my blessing. :) I just think you're a few legos short of a boxed set and I didn't see it until now. Hopefully you will one day.

Now you are just going on about this without knowing when to let something go.

You made a comment a few weeks back about my starting and posting in TV and movie threads. Even hinted at I was financially benefiting from this. Most probably because this may be your outlook on things - making relationships to make money. I don't know. Just seems like an odd assessment on your part.

If calling out this fixation you have on my TV and movie posting as being 'a few legos short of a boxed set' (nice outlook on life you have there though - can't relate to a thing, so you must be crazy), good luck with that.

It's Lego, Nick, not Legos.

I have always loved the movie threads. I would check out what people were talking about and post my own experiences. My problem with them now is that there are movie threads for movies that are going to come out in mid-2017.

They used to pop up about six weeks before opening, really ramp up the excitement, move through the cycle and then fade out, and maybe get bumped a couple of times when the DVD hits or whatever.

Now, any time there is a casting decision made, or Don Cheadle stubs his toe, a bunch of threads get bumped. I don't think it is a problem, and I don't care whether there is a sub-forum or not, but it does, at times, get to be a little much.

I just wish the stupid Star Wars movie would come out already and suck so we can get to the special kind of butthurt and rage that only Star Wars nerds can provide.

It's "Lego." The plural of Lego is Lego. A few Lego short of a boxed set. I learned that this week.

So if you are holding TWO of my Eggo Waffles, and I say:

Lego my Eggo

Do you give me one back, or both? hm

fingh ain't giving nothing back.

Now you are just going on about this without knowing when to let something go.

I disagree and say the definition of not letting go would be a Bosco movie thread. I didn't expect you to see that, though.

You made a comment a few weeks back about my starting and posting in TV and movie threads. Even hinted at I was financially benefiting from this. Most probably because this may be your outlook on things - making relationships to make money. I don't know. Just seems like an odd assessment on your part.

I know other board members with financial interests who have incessantly bumped movie related threads strictly out of financial interests so from that experience, I made the comment because I was genuinely curious as to why you bump movie and TV threads incessantly with every crumb of information you can find. Fingh nailed it on the head with the Don Cheadle comment.

You gotta admit, you pimp the hell out of those threads like nobody else. Why is that?

If calling out this fixation you have on my TV and movie posting as being 'a few legos short of a boxed set' (nice outlook on life you have there though - can't relate to a thing, so you must be crazy), good luck with that.

Again, you are taking the conversation for a walk on a tangent. It has nothing to do with my fixation. It has to do with your reactions. You were the one that quoted two people who wanted a movie sub-forum and then went on to say how great these movies are for the hobby.

Still at 73%

That is a very healthy majority.

It is. And pretty much any time of day you check lately you'll find a good third of the front page of CG taken up by movie or TV threads.

Which is a good thing for the hobby and the discussions here about comic book productions.

:whee:

Your posts are subtle but not subtle enough to be mistaken for anything else by anyone with a reasonable reading comprehension level.

I just took what I know about your online posting style over the years, mixed that with your reaction to the other 'shall remain unnamed' event and your current reaction to this topic and came to a conclusion. It's just human nature to draw conclusions.

Oh Man! And I thought we just avoided one of these threads today.

It's pretty simple. This forum used to be much smaller with much less people and separate forums than are here today.

When I started in 2004 there was no Sig forum, no OA forum, no separate Ages selling forum, no discussion forums, no Journal forum, no Want To Buy forum, no separate 'Can You Spare a Grade' forum, etc.

When people asked for a Sig Series forum nobody protested.

When people asked for an Original Art forum nobody protested.

When people asked for a Golden Age or a Want To Buy forum, nobody protested.

Now when a majority of people ask for a Movie and TV sub-forum there are protests, and strong ones. I genuinely don't get it.

Oh Man! And I thought we just avoided one of these threads today.

It's pretty simple. This forum used to be much smaller with much less people and separate forums than are here today.

When I started in 2004 there was no Sig forum, no OA forum, no separate Ages selling forum, no discussion forums, no Journal forum, no Want To Buy forum, no separate 'Can You Spare a Grade' forum, etc.

When people asked for a Sig Series forum nobody protested.

When people asked for an Original Art forum nobody protested.

When people asked for a Golden Age or a Want To Buy forum, nobody protested.

Now when a majority of people ask for a Movie and TV sub-forum there are protests, and strong ones. I genuinely don't get it.

(shrug) Maybe the protests are from folks who figure General is already the drama forum & adding Movie & TV sub-forum would be redundant. hm

Your posts are subtle but not subtle enough to be mistaken for anything else by anyone with a reasonable reading comprehension level.

I just took what I know about your online posting style over the years, mixed that with your reaction to the other 'shall remain unnamed' event and your current reaction to this topic and came to a conclusion. It's just human nature to draw conclusions.

You're really burning cycles up over nothing. The fixation on why I post or don't post on a topic is really not necessary. Then playing the game of 'I've watched you for years, so I know what you are about' adds to the oddness of the situation.

And the 'subtle emails' like there is some hidden message - you are making this situation even weirder. Move along and make your day that much better.

I have always loved the movie threads. I would check out what people were talking about and post my own experiences. My problem with them now is that there are movie threads for movies that are going to come out in mid-2017.

They used to pop up about six weeks before opening, really ramp up the excitement, move through the cycle and then fade out, and maybe get bumped a couple of times when the DVD hits or whatever.

Now, any time there is a casting decision made, or Don Cheadle stubs his toe, a bunch of threads get bumped. I don't think it is a problem, and I don't care whether there is a sub-forum or not, but it does, at times, get to be a little much.

I just wish the stupid Star Wars movie would come out already and suck so we can get to the special kind of butthurt and rage that only Star Wars nerds can provide.

e4ofx.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Maker

Well, (and I am am very much a pro-Roy person, just replying to the points), I think the issues would be:

1.) CG is defined as "A comic book collecting board for general discussions of all things vaguely related to comic books, creators, artists, writers, movies, pricing, etc.". Where as, those other post types had no home and truly were something unique in each of their own rights.

2.) The desire to create those other boards was positive and made by the people creating those types of threads. The anti-movie thread people are the ones pushing for moving them in this case, and for mostly negative reasons.

It's Kind of like the difference between people coming together to create a community garden on one hand, versus one group of people trying to forcibly remove another group they see as undesirable.

Similar in that both involve relocation, but extremely different in reason and cause.

3.) The sample size from which this "majority" occurred, is very small, and rather questionable.

(shrug) Maybe the protests are from folks who figure General is already the drama forum & adding Movie & TV sub-forum would be redundant. hm

I would look at it differently.

When it comes to the TV and movie threads, in general they usually have a positive atmosphere. Sure, there may be someone that feels like they owe a company more backing than another, and make it a personal quest to bash the other company. But for the most part, it's just a lot of sharing of information about a comic book production that fans are either really excited about, or in a wait-and-see stance until they get a chance to see the final product.

It isn't about the sake of drama talking about a TV or movie production.

You're really burning cycles up over nothing. The fixation on why I post or don't post on a topic is really not necessary.

No, it's not but I've hinted at it once and openly asked about it now. Why not answer it? (shrug)

Then playing the game of 'I've watched you for years, so I know what you are about' adds to the oddness of the situation.

It's not a game and you're spinning again. I have spent a lot of time on here over the years and I've generally either not minded you or liked you in the past but those two or three instances changed the way I felt.

And the 'subtle emails' like there is some hidden message - you are making this situation even weirder. Move along and make your day that much better.

You don't find it weird that I've personally asked you twice (once indirectly and once directly) why you post so many movie threads (even when they are not related to anything comic book related) and you haven't answered?

Well, (and I am am very much a pro-Roy person, just replying to the points), I think the issues would be:

Well, thank you. :blush:

1.) CG is defined as "A comic book collecting board for general discussions of all things vaguely related to comic books, creators, artists, writers, movies, pricing, etc.". Where as, those other post types had no home and truly were something unique in each of their own rights.

It could be strongly argued that movies and television are both popular enough now and unique enough to have their own home.

2.) The desire to create those other boards was positive and made by the people creating those types of threads. The anti-movie thread people are the ones pushing for moving them in this case, and for mostly negative reasons.

It's Kind of like the difference between people coming together to create a community garden on one hand, versus one group of people trying to forcibly remove another group they see as undesirable.

Similar in that both involve relocation, but extremely different in reason and cause.

Reasons always vary but when something became too wieldy and messy, separating them benefited everyone - those that did want it and those that didn't. As KPR said, it's just a filing system. Nothing else changes except that it becomes more organized.

3.) The sample size from which this "majority" occurred, is very small, and rather questionable.

The sample size is Comics General. It doesn't get much bigger than that around here. (shrug)

It could be strongly argued that movies and television are both popular enough now and unique enough to have their own home.

They were being compared to Signature Series, and PGM threads, which are much more "their own thing", then a certain topic being more popular now. Whether popular or not, PGM and SS stuff is completely unique.

Reasons always vary but when something became too wieldy and messy

Some people view it as messy, but I've try to point out that others see it as active, vibrant threads. Which is something positive for CG, and not all see it as unwieldy or messy.

The sample size is Comics General. It doesn't get much bigger than that around here. (shrug)

The sample size is about 80 votes, versus many more people who did not vote, but do either post or lurk in CG.

I still have to disagree with you on point #1 because a lot has changed in regards to movies since Comics General was an all inclusive melting pot for topics. Movies and TV have grown exponentially over the last 2 years and have become an entity to themselves.

And General was supposed to be General, as in a catch all but when one of those become an independent interest, they do away with what General was meant to be.

Gotham, Arrow, Flash, Walking Dead and Shield are almost perpetual staples now. Then the movie threads usually have at least a few week that bounce in and out of the front page. Currently a third of General is all movie and TV threads. Sometimes it's half or more.

I'll still read them once in a while, but right now they are overwhelming nearly everything else. As soon as an announcement is made or a movie hits the screen or a weekly show has a showing, General is covered with that sort of buzz.

I just don't see the drawback to moving them all into a separate sub-forum and only see it as a positive.

So, on what grounds do you recommend the movie and TV threads stay, if you can't use a poll result?

The sample size is about 80 votes, versus many more people who did not vote, but do either post or lurk in CG.

The sample size is actually exactly 100 right now. 78 for and 22 against. The poll has been around for a year now and has been bumped many times. 78% is a statistically significant margin. CNN calls elections with much less data at their disposal. In my mind, the people have spoken. It's just a matter of whether CGC/Arch wants to pursue it or not.

9iBiBsV.png

No, it's not but I've hinted at it once and openly asked about it now. Why not answer it? (shrug)

You were given an answer previously. But because it did not have financial benefit, you couldn't understand it.

It's not a game and you're spinning again. I have spent a lot of time on here over the years and I've generally either not minded you or liked you in the past but those two or three instances changed the way I felt.

Who's spinning now?

Trust me. I'll be okay without your affection.

You don't find it weird that I've personally asked you twice (once indirectly and once directly) why you post so many movie threads (even when they are not related to anything comic book related) and you haven't answered?

You asked me personally? And you have asked more than twice. It was just a few times today.

And actually see above. I did. You were just seeking some financial motivation behind it, and didn't like the answer you received.

So other than that, you are not owed any further answer than that.