• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does Comics General Need A Movie Sub-Forum? (with Poll)

Does Comics General Need A Movie Sub-Forum?  

432 members have voted

1. 1. Does Comics General Need A Movie Sub-Forum?

498 posts in this topic

we should have a poll on creating a whole new area where people can talk off-topic, so those threads dont clutter up Comics General. We could call it something like, oh, say, The Water Cooler. Anyone who posts a movie thread in there, could have it moved back to CG where it belongs.

Then people can get on padding there post counts talking about bob's dog passing gas in peace.

we should have a poll on creating a whole new area where people can talk off-topic, so those threads dont clutter up Comics General. We could call it something like, oh, say, The Water Cooler. Anyone who posts a movie thread in there, could have it moved back to CG where it belongs.

Then people can get on padding there post counts talking about bob's dog passing gas in peace.

You're relatively new here so you might not know this but over the years, the entire chat forum has evolved and expanded as it has grown.

When Sigs became overly popular, the sig series guys got a Sig forum.

When OA became overly popular, the OA guys got an OA forum.

When the selling forums got overly busy, they separated them in Ages.

The Want To Buy forum was added. The Please Grade My forum, the Events forum, the Grading and Resto forum.

What's the problem with a movie forum now that there are literally dozens of movie and show threads running at any given time?

It's just another evolution of the chat forum that has been happening since day one.

(shrug)

he says he's been lurking here forever before he signed up. He's also stated he's not going anywhere

If that's true then he's missed a lot while lurking.

He doesn't have to go anywhere. This thread is just an attempt at organizing the chat forum by it's members via majority rule. Nothing more.

Pimping movie and television shows - again.

You really have issues with me, don't you? And I just don't even know why. Not that it matters.

Well, I originally had issues with you over that whole rupp thing that happened a while back and how you handled it. I found your 'jumping through hoops with back spins' over the ordeal fairly annoying. I was just polite in discussing it with you.

Now I just get tired of all the movie and show pimping, you being the one most proficient at it. Personally, I think you're overboard on it. That's just my opinion though. Feel free to keep pimping.

Here's the good thing. You'll either get over whatever your issue is, or you won't. That's your problem to deal with.

Now if you want to have continued baggage over that BS that happened, and want to continue bringing it up, then it shows where the concern truly is.

And yes, I'll keep posting TV and movie news. Thanks for your blessing.

You're relatively new here so you might not know this but over the years, the entire chat forum has evolved and expanded as it has grown.

Actually, I've been around since 2003/2004.

lol

I think he's part of the Occupy CG Movement.

No, CG has been a cess-pit for a long time, and the movie threads actually make it a lot better.

The reason the 10K+ WC poster type folks dont like it, is because THEY were the ones constantly posting off-topic NON-COMIC related stuff in Comics General. Now, all sorts of low post count members are actually posting in CG in on-topic threads, and the pointless stuff falls lower down.

But genuinely, what is the issue being debated? Active threads that "certain" people dont like are staying at the top of CG, so via nepotism lets forces those threads somewhere else? No, that's not something I would ever support.

But in the end, CGC is more of a club than a company, so I am sure it will end up happening. But claiming a majority supports it, or has even seen this thread, nah.

If those people really need CG to be the second water cooler, they will eventually get it I am sure.

Oh, and just out of curiosity, I went and grabbed the actual description of Comics General:

"A comic book collecting board for general discussions of all things vaguely related to comic books, creators, artists, writers, movies, pricing, etc. "

So, movie threads are bang on, Bob's dog's bowel movements and what Harry said to Sally 14 years ago in Meme form, not so much...

Oh, and just out of curiosity, I went and grabbed the actual description of Comics General:

"A comic book collecting board for general discussions of all things vaguely related to comic books, creators, artists, writers, movies, pricing, etc. "

So, movie threads are bang on, Bob's dog's bowel movements and what Harry said to Sally 14 years ago in Meme form, not so much...

Reread Roy's Post . I think it does a good job of explaining the evolution.

I love the movie and TV threads. Heck, I've started a ton of them. There's just too many of them now. I think most people here feel this way (as evidenced by the poll). Movie and TV threads deserve their own sub-forum, just like the other areas of interest that have grown over time. It will also make finding movie and TV threads a lot easier if they're all in one place. Imagine if all the PGM threads had to compete with the other threads in CG. It just makes sense.

I have always loved the movie threads. I would check out what people were talking about and post my own experiences. My problem with them now is that there are movie threads for movies that are going to come out in mid-2017.

They used to pop up about six weeks before opening, really ramp up the excitement, move through the cycle and then fade out, and maybe get bumped a couple of times when the DVD hits or whatever.

Now, any time there is a casting decision made, or Don Cheadle stubs his toe, a bunch of threads get bumped. I don't think it is a problem, and I don't care whether there is a sub-forum or not, but it does, at times, get to be a little much.

I think most people here feel this way (as evidenced by the poll).

Well, I could also say, re-read my post(s), and you will see that I strongly disagree. A certain group of very active posters on here wants them moved.

This debate (and this wasnt the first thread on it, the others have fallen away), was started on a negative stance. That is to say, "get these movie threads out of here".

If a poll had been started by someone saying, "i love movie threads, lets get them all grouped together, it will be awesome, high five". Then I probably would have sided with them. This new found focus of just helping out the pro-movie thread people is a smoke-screen.

Ultimately, a certain group of people think of CG as "theirs" and they are being over run by on-topic, relevant threads, so they want to move them away so they can have "their" CG back. aka, try and keep it as the WC number 2.

That's the part of it I oppose.

Imagine if all the PGM threads had to compete with the other threads in CG. It just makes sense.

Given that movies, even pricing (ack, that means speculation too) is in the title of CG. The place for movie threads was already made, its called CG, and they labeled it as such.

What threads in your mind are competing with movie threads. "that's great roy" and "hey joeypost"??

They used to pop up about six weeks before opening, really ramp up the excitement, move through the cycle and then fade out, and maybe get bumped a couple of times when the DVD hits or whatever.

That's a good point, but that is more because the movie studios are announcing their movies way farther in advance then ever before, and obviously, shared universes have never been done before.

In the case of Marvel, where current movies, and tv shows, drop crumbs related to movies 2-3 years out, it almost makes it relevant. But I agree that it does seem silly when they are that far in advance.

I think the crux of what bothers me about this debate though is this:

Even if it is a movie 3 years from now, if the thread is at the top of CG, it means people are interested and posting in it. A community response to active threads and members, is to try and box them up and put it somewhere else out of the way? That to me is just a certain group of people who have an inflated view of themselves, their importance, and dont like that they dont have the sandbox all to themselves anymore....

What threads in your mind are competing with movie threads. "that's great roy" and "hey joeypost"??

If you've been lurking around since the beginning, then you know that there has been a great wealth of knowledge and experience shared in CG that many people find valuable.

And regarding the silly threads: Those are necessary too. For fun. For bonding. I don't have a problem with them and actually believe they enrich the overall experience here.

And regarding the silly threads: Those are necessary too. For fun. For bonding. I don't have a problem with them and actually believe they enrich the overall experience here.

I am all for live at let live, I only mention the off-topic threads because no one is complaining about them. Like I said, if it was the people creating and posting in movie threads that wanted them moved, great.

But its not. I have a problem with the REASON people started trying to push a movie sub-forum. Namely, that they think CG is their own private chatroom, and dont like other people using it.