• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does Comics General Need A Movie Sub-Forum? (with Poll)

Does Comics General Need A Movie Sub-Forum?  

432 members have voted

1. 1. Does Comics General Need A Movie Sub-Forum?

498 posts in this topic

No, it's not but I've hinted at it once and openly asked about it now. Why not answer it? (shrug)

You were given an answer previously. But because it did not have financial benefit, you couldn't understand it.

I see what you did there. More insults. The best defense is a strong offense. :D

Sorry, I genuinely missed the answer. Can you at least link me to your post if you don't want to type it out again?

No, it's not but I've hinted at it once and openly asked about it now. Why not answer it? (shrug)

You were given an answer previously. But because it did not have financial benefit, you couldn't understand it.

I see what you did there. More insults. The best defense is a strong offense. :D

Sorry, I genuinely missed the answer. Can you at least link me to your post if you don't want to type it out again?

More insults? Where? See, you are so set on picking a fight and showing some buddies how cool you can be, you are missing what you posted previously.

Even recently when someone mentioned I owned Disney stock, you had to post a message this is the true reason why I post about TV and movies productions. To boost my stocks.

I know we've talked about movie sub forums in the past

Bosco has a conflict of interest based on his stock portfolio

Not sure if this is a joke or not.

hm

It would explain his overwhelming interest in every movie thread, though.

A few folks even followed up on this how silly this thinking was. Like this is going to make people give up their comic books to go buy stocks, and raise my portfolio value.

You don't find that weird you are so concerned why I post about this topic, you feel it is your personal quest to figure it out? Or is this me spinning again.

:eyeroll:

Currently a third of General is all movie and TV threads. Sometimes it's half or more.

This is getting more at the heart of it. A third of what? The first page? The first two pages?

If they are there its because people are writing in them. What SHOULD be there instead? Threads people arent writing in?

I'll still read them once in a while, but right now they are overwhelming nearly everything else. As soon as an announcement is made or a movie hits the screen or a weekly show has a showing, General is covered with that sort of buzz.

So, on what grounds do you recommend the movie and TV threads stay

"i'll read them once in a while"

"they are overwhelming nearly everything else"

The main point I have made all along, is that one group shouldnt be able to impose its will on another. Comics General isnt the Water Cooler, and doesnt need to be "protected" from on-topic threads. Active threads, being active in the place they werent meant to be, isnt a problem that needs fixing in my opinion.

If Bob's dog farting is an important thread, it will get bumped to the top by those typing in it. If someone needs to go to page 2 or heaven forbid 3, to let everyone else know that they have also smelled bob's dog's gas, then I am ok with that.

Currently a third of General is all movie and TV threads. Sometimes it's half or more.

This is getting more at the heart of it. A third of what? The first page? The first two pages?

If they are there its because people are writing in them. What SHOULD be there instead? Threads people arent writing in?

I'll still read them once in a while, but right now they are overwhelming nearly everything else. As soon as an announcement is made or a movie hits the screen or a weekly show has a showing, General is covered with that sort of buzz.

So, on what grounds do you recommend the movie and TV threads stay

"i'll read them once in a while"

"they are overwhelming nearly everything else"

The main point I have made all along, is that one group shouldnt be able to impose its will on another. Comics General isnt the Water Cooler, and doesnt need to be "protected" from on-topic threads. Active threads, being active in the place they werent meant to be, isnt a problem that needs fixing in my opinion.

If Bob's dog farting is an important thread, it will get bumped to the top by those typing in it. If someone needs to go to page 2 or heaven forbid 3, to let everyone else know that they have also smelled bob's dog's gas, then I am ok with that.

When roughly a third to a half of the first 2-3 pages of Comics General is about movies, then CG is no longer all that general. If a sizeable percentage of threads falls under the category of movie/tv discussion, it follows that organizing those threads into a less general area might be a good solution to make them both easier to find and organize.

On an unrelated note, what is your obsession with dog flatulence?

By the way, I consider the sub-forum a for-gone conclusion. The people who have the authority to create sub-forum's are buddies of the same group/type who treat CG as their personal chatroom.

This whole debate is moot.

By the end of the month, I am sure it will be back to nothing but dog farts, inside joke's and nerds making other nerds quit the forums, because their post count isnt high enough.

When roughly a third to a half of the first 2-3 pages of Comics General is about movies, then CG is no longer all that general. If a sizeable percentage of threads falls under the category of movie/tv discussion, it follows that organizing those threads into a less general area might be a good solution to make them both easier to find and organize.

Do a thread count and let me know how accurate that is, and as I have said, its not people wanting to find them that started the debate to move them.

If it were, I would be on team move them.

I did the first two pages real quick:

Page 1:

15 non-movie/tv

7 tv/movie

Page 2:

21 non-movie/tv

3 tv/movie

Page 1 is 1/3, BY DEMOCRACY, aka people typing in them. Page 2 isnt even close at 1/8th.

So because certain people dont like democracy, they would offer you totalitarianism lol

rantrant

I'll be with the free men posting in the movie sub-forum, once CG is reclaimed for newb-bashing and inside jokes, by dictatorial decree

It's not democracy if a Vote for thousands, is had by < 100

I'd love to see a break down of who voted, how many posts they have, and what percentage of their posts are in the WC, and what percentage of their posts in CG are "generally related to comics"

It's mostly just people wanting their sandbox back, because it got overrun.

It's not democracy if a Vote for thousands, is had by < 100

I'd love to see a break down of who voted, how many posts they have, and what percentage of their posts are in the WC, and what percentage of their posts in CG are "generally related to comics"

It's mostly just people wanting their sandbox back, because it got overrun.

...... There's really only a few hundred boardies who could be considered active on the boards. Of those 1000+ views, many are repeats and not unique..... I would wager that most of the views are from folks who voted. Those who don't vote likely don't care. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

More insults? Where? See, you are so set on picking a fight and showing some buddies how cool you can be, you are missing what you posted previously.

Which buddies? I haven't talked about you with anyone recently.

You said that I couldn't understand your motivation for posting in movie threads because it wasn't financially motivated. What does that mean to you? lol

Even recently when someone mentioned I owned Disney stock, you had to post a message this is the true reason why I post about TV and movies productions. To boost my stocks.

A few folks even followed up on this how silly this thinking was. Like this is going to make people give up their comic books to go buy stocks, and raise my portfolio value.

I had to post? I simply queried because I found your affection for movie threads (even those that had nothing to do with comics) unusual.

And I didn't actually say that financial motivation was the true reason. It just sounded like a reasonable explanation to me.

You don't find that weird you are so concerned why I post about this topic, you feel it is your personal quest to figure it out? Or is this me spinning again.

:eyeroll:

What's more weird, a person that has nearly single handedly taken over an entire comic chat forum with movie posts or the person wondering why it's happening?

lol

Listen, if Sigs became the new tulip and everyone was posting about Sigs they got then that would eventually crowd out the entire chat forum.

I think I get it. You like it. Just don't be surprised if many other people don't. (shrug)

• Administrator
Oh Man! And I thought we just avoided one of these threads today.

It's pretty simple. This forum used to be much smaller with much less people and separate forums than are here today.

When I started in 2004 there was no Sig forum, no OA forum, no separate Ages selling forum, no discussion forums, no Journal forum, no Want To Buy forum, no separate 'Can You Spare a Grade' forum, etc.

When people asked for a Sig Series forum nobody protested.

When people asked for an Original Art forum nobody protested.

When people asked for a Golden Age or a Want To Buy forum, nobody protested.

Now when a majority of people ask for a Movie and TV sub-forum there are protests, and strong ones. I genuinely don't get it.

Yes they did. Somebody always protests. It's like death and taxes.

The people who have the authority to create sub-forum's are buddies of the same group/type who treat CG as their personal chatroom.

That's an entirely untrue conclusion.

I'm friends with most of the CGC employees but none of them are going to create a chat forum thread for me any more than they are going to give me a grade I want on a comic I get graded.

What they do respond to is public discussions and public opinion on stuff like this.

And I have yet to see a reasonable explanation as to why the poll is flawed.

Yes they did. Somebody always protests. It's like death and taxes.

Well, I guess that is true. Someone will always protest but I don't personally remember many being very vocal against the creation of sub-forums like the Sig or OA forums. They mostly seemed to be for it from what I remember as it would only help to encourage their...camaraderie.

The people who have the authority to create sub-forum's are buddies of the same group/type who treat CG as their personal chatroom.

That's an entirely untrue conclusion.

I'm friends with most of the CGC employees but none of them are going to create a chat forum thread for me any more than they are going to give me a grade I want on a comic I get graded.

What they do respond to is public discussions and public opinion on stuff like this.

And I have yet to see a reasonable explanation as to why the poll is flawed.

because CBT's side is losing

IMO, general comic related conversation of a wide variety of topics...as long as one of those topics don't dominate the General Forum.

So why don't we just cancel all the other forums and bring them all into General? Everything is comic related, after all?

What if one person bumps many or even most of the threads on dog farts? Does that change it to the General dog fart forum?

I had to post? I simply queried because I found your affection for movie threads (even those that had nothing to do with comics) unusual.

And I didn't actually say that financial motivation was the true reason. It just sounded like a reasonable explanation to me.

No. You knew what you were doing. Trying to make it sound like there was some financial benefit.

It was a pretty stupid statement to make. Sorry, but that's the fact.