• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Anyone know where/why some GA art is available?

13 posts in this topic

Obviously Harvey art came from the warehouse. DC & Timely seem about non-existent, presumptively what is left came from artists keeping it. But Fiction House is relatively available, and a good bit of Fawcett art can be found. I've never heard a back story on these, does anyone know where these stocks came from?

I believe the Fawcett stuff came out of the warehouse too. I believe Sparkle City had something to do with buying out the Fawcett warehouse in the mid-80's which is where the Flash & Thill ashcan comics came from.

As far as Atlas Superhero art from the 50's, only a handful of books seem to have surfaced... various stories from Young Men #26, Men's Adventures #27 and Human Torch #36. A couple pages have also surfaced from Captain America #77.

From the true Timely Golden Age, a complete Sub-Mariner story from All Select #2 surfaced, but was broken up 3 years ago. There have been a number of pages from Captain America #6 as well. Other than that, there is the Human Torch #10 cover, a Marvel Comics #1 page, a Human Torch splash, and a handful of. pages from Marvel Mystery and potentially other titles. I assume most of these were saved by the artists.

From DC, there's a little more - some kept by artists like Robinson and Guardineer. Others were rescued by employees who were instructed to destroy the pages. They allegedly cut them up into thirds (which met the expectation of "destruction") and then the art was then rescued from the trash and put back together. That's why you have have some tiers that aren't complete pages. Most of those were unpublished stories from the end of the Golden Age.

It seems to me that it's pretty hard to find nice pieces from Fiction House. Admittedly, I don't follow the market closely, but a quick review of the Heritage database shows only 175 pieces sold over a number of years. Almost all are panel pages, a few half-splashes and not a single cover. Has anyone ever seen a Bob Lubbers cover? Are these pages locked up in private collections or were they simply destroyed?

Mike

It seems to me that it's pretty hard to find nice pieces from Fiction House. Admittedly, I don't follow the market closely, but a quick review of the Heritage database shows only 175 pieces sold over a number of years. Almost all are panel pages, a few half-splashes and not a single cover. Has anyone ever seen a Bob Lubbers cover? Are these pages locked up in private collections or were they simply destroyed?

Mike

fiction house art was sold by jerry iger back in the early 70's at NY Cons. a lot of fiction house art has survive but its in private collections. like a old timer told me, "you will star to see art hit the market little by little ones collectors star dying" this is really true I recently acquire some beautiful fiction house art from 2 collectors that past/ R.I.P