• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jim Carrey denounces Kick *spoon* 2

63 posts in this topic

1011141_510907438964661_1055753284_n_zps453617dc.jpg

You could say the same thing about bombs, cyanide and heroin. Are there objects or substances which are so dangerous that their ownership should be limited, controlled and monitored in any way? If you believe so, then this argument is invalid. (Which isn't to say that there aren't better arguments in favour of gun ownership).

Where Jim Carrey shows himself to be not so bright is in criticizing violence in movies, not in supporting gun control.

I am not trying to be a dweeb but I rented KICK*SPOON* on dvd and only made it through the first half. Not because of violence (SIN CITY, RESERVOIR DOGS are great faves of mine) but just for what seemed to be poor story telling and character development.

That's surprising. I found it to be a highly entertaining story. Not genius or anything, but a lot of fun.

Quote from Roger Ebert

"Let me tell you a story. The day after Columbine, I was interviewed for the Tom Brokaw news program. The reporter had been assigned a theory and was seeking sound bites to support it. "Wouldn't you say," she asked, "that killings like this are influenced by violent movies?" No, I said, I wouldn't say that. "But what about 'Basketball Diaries'?" she asked. "Doesn't that have a scene of a boy walking into a school with a machine gun?" The obscure 1995 Leonardo Di Caprio movie did indeed have a brief fantasy scene of that nature, I said, but the movie failed at the box office (it grossed only $2.5 million), and it's unlikely the Columbine killers saw it.

The reporter looked disappointed, so I offered her my theory. "Events like this," I said, "if they are influenced by anything, are influenced by news programs like your own. When an unbalanced kid walks into a school and starts shooting, it becomes a major media event. Cable news drops ordinary programming and goes around the clock with it. The story is assigned a logo and a theme song; these two kids were packaged as the Trench Coat Mafia. The message is clear to other disturbed kids around the country: If I shoot up my school, I can be famous. The TV will talk about nothing else but me. Experts will try to figure out what I was thinking. The kids and teachers at school will see they shouldn't have messed with me. I'll go out in a blaze of glory."

In short, I said, events like Columbine are influenced far less by violent movies than by CNN, the NBC Nightly News and all the other news media, who glorify the killers in the guise of "explaining" them. I commended the policy at the Sun-Times, where our editor said the paper would no longer feature school killings on Page 1. The reporter thanked me and turned off the camera. Of course the interview was never used. They found plenty of talking heads to condemn violent movies, and everybody was happy."

Those are some very wise words by the late Mr. Ebert.

+1 :applause:

WOW, I had no idea Ebert was that smart a man, and that is NOT sarcasm, what he said there is the absolute truth.

A great quote from the late Mr.Ebert.

I am not trying to be a dweeb but I rented KICK*SPOON* on dvd and only made it through the first half. Not because of violence (SIN CITY, RESERVOIR DOGS are great faves of mine) but just for what seemed to be poor story telling and character development.

That's surprising. I found it to be a highly entertaining story. Not genius or anything, but a lot of fun.

I thought the same thing when viewing this movie. And the scene with the death of Big Daddy and Hitgirl's "Robin's revenge" is a great part of the movie. Especially seeing the scene play out in first-person shooter.

What a feminine hygiene product!

Carrey makes fun of a dead man who can't defend himself and who was an actor on a scale Dumber can only dream of. An opportunist seeking to get publicity on a tragic event that involved the murder of innocent kids is now part of a violent movie involving kids using guns, knives, etc... Killing countless people.

Just another example of people from that viewpoint saying one thing and doing another. He will get away with it because of the side of the fence he falls on is the same side the media is also on.

Waiting for Carrey to get the Paula Deen treatment by media. Of course that would require the media to be consistent. I am sure 24/7 media blitz against Carrey will start shortly.

I wouldn't hold my breath. Paula Dean admits under oath she used a racially divisive word in private company 27 years ago, and she is now a pariah. Quentin Tarantino writes the screenplay for a very for-public-consumption movie where the word is used dozens (hundreds?) of times and he gets an Oscar. Go figure.

It's a highly efficient tool for ending lives. Putting it on the same level as a toaster is ridiculous.

doh!

That is a weapon, designed for killing someone. It is not a tool. It gives the user a false sense of power, power that enables humans to take out their emotions. Scarface anyone? I've heard the arguements time and time again, like, 'a hammer is a weapon too'. Yes if you misuse it, but it's designed for hammering in nails. What is the primary design of a gun, to shoot objects. Don't get me wrong, I like guns they are fun to shoot, I was even a rifle instructor for the boy scouts in college. But there are guns for hunting, sporting, etc. Then there are assault rifles, which AREN'T USED FOR HUNTING BTW.

I believe 'your' president Reagan said it best:

PresidentReagan-meme.jpg

rantrant

Jerome

Then there are assault rifles, which AREN'T USED FOR HUNTING BTW.

I'll let you incorrectly refer to them assault rifles without starting that argument. That they aren't used for hunting though. That is 100% false. Don't spread misinformation.